What's you favorite cold weather boat & why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. MM. Hot homemade chicken soup as well as tomato juice/V8 with LOTS of Tabasco added. REST!!!!

Greetings,
Mr. MM. Hot homemade chicken soup as well as tomato juice/V8 with LOTS of Tabasco added. REST!!!!

Sounds great except for the rest part.

Plan B for the day is to try photographing swans on a nearby lake that doesn't freeze where creeks run into it. Hopefully I'll dance around the edge of whatever bug is toying with my immune system and feel better later.

Don't want to waste a week off work!

Greetings,
Mr. MM. My Admiral has been ill for the last 3 or 4 days and it's been a real chore keeping her rested. The chicken soup is a no brainer. I've heard it called Jewish grandmother medicine and there IS some evidence that there's something in the chicken soup that does combat cold/flu. You DID get your flu shot didn't you?

The tomato/V8 and Tabasco is my own discovery. Works for me. Perhaps a similar effect as the "unkown" in the soup.

Since you can't see gif's...

iu

Greetings,
Mr. MM. My Admiral has been ill for the last 3 or 4 days and it's been a real chore keeping her rested. The chicken soup is a no brainer. I've heard it called Jewish grandmother medicine and there IS some evidence that there's something in the chicken soup that does combat cold/flu. You DID get your flu shot didn't you?

The tomato/V8 and Tabasco is my own discovery. Works for me. Perhaps a similar effect as the "unkown" in the soup.

Since you can't see gif's...

iu

Not quite at the snivelling wimp stage yet, just light headed, shivering and coughing.

I thought you might have trouble sleeping tonight not knowing if I had taken your sage advice, because you have such a caring soul.

Flu shot......................fail
Chicken soup...............check!
Tabasco.......................fail
V8 (low sodium)...........check!
Swans.........................fail
Merganser....................check!
Light snow fall..............check!
Opalescent light............check!
North coast BC beauty....check!

Sleep well my friend! Hope you wife feels better!!

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. MM. Thanks. Yes, my wife IS feeling better. Caesar salad and snow crab for dinner tonight. She's on the mend.
icon14.gif

I think the answer is whatever boat you like best. And for cold weather, it's that same boat with heat installed.

Thats really it. Diesel heat is king in Alaska. Almost every boat has some form of it. some prefer hydronic, some forced air, but all prefer diesel fueled heat.

As far as features pilothouse style boats are great for cold weather because they offer a indoor driving area that is not an afterthought like many lower helms.

Last edited:
Isn`t chicken soup known as Jewish penicillin?
You get swans all that way north! I`m surprised.
Did you know Australia has black swans. Maybe a tad smaller than the Royal white kind all owned by the Queen, but swans nevertheless.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. Jewish penicillin. AHA! That's the term I was unsuccessfully searching for in the muddle of my nonexistent memory. Thanks.

I have been thinking about this because I would like to continue boating when it gets icy (at least Christmas) as long as the sea is not frozen (happens sometimes before Christmas).

Have the following "winter" wishes: Double glazing, Continuous central heating based on Refleks (or Kabola or similar) with water heater, additional warm air heater (Webasto, Eber etc.), sufficient insulation, generator, sauna (I might have to give up this one).

The trawler type boats I have found are either steel boats (mainly Dutch with mineral wool insulation), Elling series boats or one-off type boats made of steel, composites or some production boats based on Pilot boats or work boats.

Any boats like that in PNW?

My friend has one and there nothing as good as to go from sauna to swim platform, take a dip in the cold water, sit down on the deck, keep the beer in snow to keep it cold and enjoy!!!

Greetings,
Mr. HF. Hmmm....Sauna, OK. Cold dip...mmm, ok. Cold beer? Something doesn't seem quite right about that one. I know the Finns are tough and hardy and they DO love their sauna but...COLD beer? Brrr.....

I think the answer is whatever boat you like best. And for cold weather, it's that same boat with heat installed.

I have to agree. Or else, I'm not sure I understand the question. I'm not clear what characteristics make a "cold weather boat".

If we're talking ICE, then Steel. Otherwise any boat that is equipped with a means to heat the interior and and interior helm would be sufficient.

My Mainship 350 meets those guidelines.

My boat is much smaller but the cold weather prep is the same regardless. Insulation is by far the most critical no matter how you heat, most boats are poorly or not at all insulated. I've used closed cell foam sheets cut and formed to shape, there's not all that much flat surface in a boat so some way the fit insulation is helpful. Ice formation and it's removal can be also critical depending on where you operate, it's amazing how fast ice can form from spray and it's added weight can pose a real risk to stability. One suggestion that seems very minor but can save you a headache is learning not to hitch lines on a cleat, a frozen line can be almost impossible to get off if hitched. I fished the North Atlantic in winter for many years and there's some issues that need adapting to like not letting the seawater portion of your cooling system freeze or having your strainer clog with ice crystals.

For the two of us our AT 34 is just right. We cruise Anacortes to Sitka in summer, and winter cruise Puget Sound. With three heat sources, and a tight superstructure, we stay toasty.

I've owned two wood commercial fishing boats, a 32' and 41'. They were very comfortable with an oil stove in the winter running in the north west. Presently have a Bayliner 3870. She is comfortable at the dock or on the hook with diesel heat & three built in electric heaters but not so great cruising as I run her from the bridge. Brrr!

Any boat with a good ITR diesel fueled 12 volt hydronic system. 3to 4 zones. Great system that served us well on the east coast through several winters.

Are we talking about good heaters or good boats for cold weather? A good heater isn't really what makes a good cold weather boat as it's just one element. Of course a boat good in other ways for cold weather would be unpleasant without a good heater. Comfort is part of seaworthiness but just part.

You get swans all that way north! I'm surprised....

Yup, you bet we do. They over winter here by finding ice free water in creeks or where creeks enter lakes.

The feeding strategy is to snuggle up to the ice along shore, then reach down with their long necks and dig up vegetation from the mucky bottom. When everything freezes up they hang out in river and creek estuaries because salt water here doesn't freeze.

They're pretty confident beasts...one went paddling all by itself up a meandering creek about a meter wide with steep snow banks, so there was a zero percent chance of a fast take off if any critter tried attacking and eating it.

Here's an adult and two young ones enjoying the rain more than my wife & I were:

Attachments

• EmptyName.jpg
    EmptyName.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Uless the boat was custom built there is virtually no insulation on most boats.

That just means an oversized oil furnace would be required . I would choose both a Dickinson oil range and a wet furnace with baseboards , heated towel racks etc.

The Dickinson would be on all winter and be a backup for when frozen in dockside and the power goes out for a couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom