whats the diference between a motor yatch and a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They did until plumb(ium) was replaced with more modern materials.

I always wondered how you could call something a "trawler" that didn't trawl. Would you call someone a baker who didn't bake, or a painter who didn't paint?

That line that conects your dinghy to the mother ships is called.....a painter ...:dance:

As to the question of a woman wearing high heels onboard.....really depends on the bottom shape of that particular woman on my little ship :socool:

I always wondered how you could call something a "trawler" that didn't trawl. Would you call someone a baker who didn't bake, or a painter who didn't paint?

That line that conects your dinghy to the mother ships is called.....a painter ...:dance:

"Chock Full O' Nuts is that Heavenly Coffee, Heavenly Coffee..." :facepalm:

It's so yuck tasting, unless copious amount of Brandy is added! :lol:

As to the question of a woman wearing high heels onboard.....really depends on the bottom shape of that particular woman on my little ship :socool:

I appreciate your tenor on the high heels bit. But, feel I must ask...

We've gone round and round here regarding what to call our little boat toys, i.e.:

Trawlers / Pleasure Trawlers / Pleasure Cruisers / Power Boats / Cabin Cruisers / Toy Boats... and other type nomenclature :thumb: :facepalm:

But please... now you add "Little Ship" - All I can say is Why Not!! lMAO! :lol: :D

toy [toi]

noun

1. an object, often a small representation of something familiar, as an animal or person, for children or others to play with; plaything.

2. a thing or matter of little or no value or importance; a trifle.

3. something that serves for or as if for diversion, rather than for serious pratical use.

4. a small article of little value but prized as a souvenir or for some other special reason; trinket; knickknack; bauble.

5. something diminutive, especially in comparison with like objects.

I guess people can call them whatever they want, but I understand why some feel insulted about their homes on the water, which they depend on to keep them safe and for which they paid a fortune, being called toys. Most of the definitions are derogatory when associated with anything of value.

How about this..My little toy trawler ship ??

Or maybe as the last girl friend called it "That dam boat"

Well technically that is true as commercial boats have preference for the bridges and locks. That is why the Eagle is registered as a commercial charter so we do not have to wait for the bridges and locks. When we call ahead they usually asked for the commercial registration number to verify. So the Eagle is a commercial charter live a board pleasure trawler. We almost became a commercial fishing/crabbing/charter live aboard, pleasure trawler! :eek::confused::D;) Long story!

I think if you want to call your own boat a "toy", that's fine. When you call someone else's boat a "toy", that can be taken as an insult.

toy [toi]

noun

1. an object, often a small representation of something familiar, as an animal or person, for children or others to play with; plaything.

2. a thing or matter of little or no value or importance; a trifle.

3. something that serves for or as if for diversion, rather than for serious pratical use.

4. a small article of little value but prized as a souvenir or for some other special reason; trinket; knickknack; bauble.

5. something diminutive, especially in comparison with like objects.

I guess people can call them whatever they want, but I understand why some feel insulted about their homes on the water, which they depend on to keep them safe and for which they paid a fortune, being called toys. Most of the definitions are derogatory when associated with anything of value.

What you say is correct. For those whose lifestyle is dependent on their boat, i.e. live-a-boards and for people whose boat provides a living (an income in some manner) the word "Toy", as in "Toy Boat" is not really applicable; and, for those who are thin-of-skin could cause mental anguish when deemed a derogatory remark or a virtual put down. However, for many boaters their boats are just simply that "A Toy" they use simply for enjoyment when their hectic schedules provide ample time for them and family to go "Play with Their Toy Boat" as a diversionary article that enables their R&R in life. Personally, our Tollycraft boat is reasonably important to us, but not something we need to lean on for day-to-day existence. I believe any boat owner can think any way they like about what their boat actually means to them. To me it is simply a "Boat" no matter what prefix or suffix or other term-type anyone may like to affix. You could call any one of my boats a piece o' shtt, if one was unsettled enough to use that term, and it makes no real difference to me... cause I am already firm in what personal acceptance and dollar value I place on any one of my craft. Of course, with that said, I am very thick of skin! :dance:

I call my boat a boat. If people ask me what kind of boat I have, I tell them a 26 foot Nordic Tug. If they don't know what a Nordic Tug is, they probably don't care enough about boats to want any more information. They got most of the information they were seeking with 26'.

I never call my boat a trawler or a tug as it is neither and just confuses people.

I call my boat a boat. If people ask me what kind of boat I have, I tell them a 26 foot Nordic Tug. If they don't know what a Nordic Tug is, they probably don't care enough about boats to want any more information. They got most of the information they were seeking with 26'.

I never call my boat a trawler or a tug as it is neither and just confuses people.

NS - You yelling at someone in your avatar... cause they called your boat a Yachtie type Trawler?? LOL :lol: Think I sold my restaurant pub/tavern "The Hunter" in Camden ME to that guy... 1972

PS: Your avatar is one of my faves - makes me smile each time I see it! :thumb:

Last edited:
To me my boat is a toy. Even if it were a 200' super yacht, as long as I used it in the same way as I use my boat now, I would still consider it a toy. But a toy yacht instead of a toy boat. That said, even though I consider my boat a toy, I don't refer to it as one. I call it a boat. Just sayin'.

"... difference between a motor yacht and a trawler..., i.e. this thread's reason for being!

Ususlly lots of $$$$ and always three (3) letters. ;)

Both are still boats! So is an Aircraft Carrier, Submarine, Destroyer, Freighter, Cargo Ship, Tug Boat, Fishing Trawler, Motor Cruiser, Sail Boat, Motor Sailor... etc....... :rolleyes:

The correct nomenclature used to specify any "Boat" to signify its primary purpose of use has specific definition values. :thumb:

To refer to a Boat used for pleasure with NO trawling gear what so ever aboard as a “Trawler” is simply incorrect due to the definition that the single-word Trawler has gained over the last couple centuries. Sorry!! Now, to call it a “Pleasure Trawler”, in definition difference to a “Fishing Trawler” may be correct... you make the call! :socool:

I like to refer to mine and yours simply as a Pleasure Boats! :dance: :D

I once heard that 'yacht' is the word boaters use to describe their boats to those who have never seen them, and are never likely to . . . .

Certainly my little Fales 30 is not a 'yacht' and frankly 'trawler' seems a bit of a stretch too. It is just my boat. Before my Fales, I sailed for over 50 years in boats ranging in size from 14' to 44', all of which I referred to as my 'boats' or 'sailboats.'

When I close my eyes and think of 'motor yachts' I see images of Berger, Broward, Huckins, Hatteras, Trumpy and such. When I think of 'sailing yachts' I see Hinckley, Alden, Herreshoff, Swan, Concordia etc. They all seem to be over 50' and are all joy to behold.

To me, 'yachts' either motor or sail, are special and stand out from other boats. Their designs withstand the test of time and always attract admirers. I think of harmony, balance, grace, strength, quality and on and on. Words like 'bristol' and 'proper' also come to mind. Never does the notion of a 'trawler' come to mind.

I'm pretty 'old-school' I guess and probably stuck way too far back in some romantic past, but the terms 'motor yacht' and 'sailing yacht' always remind me of beautiful, special boats.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Last edited:
So it`s out with "TrawlerForum", in with "MotorYacht Forum", from now on??

I'm pretty 'old-school' I guess and probably stuck way too far back in some romantic past, but the terms 'motor yacht' and 'sailing yacht' always remind me of beautiful, special boats.

And in a far less pretensious era Trumphy used to call their 50-75 ft beauties ,

HOUSEBOATS!

So it`s out with "TrawlerForum", in with "MotorYacht Forum", from now on??

Personally... I think that the name "Pleasure Trawler Forum" may entice more visitors and eventual boat-friendly contributors to this Forum. However, I do not know what type of riff-raff may happen upon this forum simply because of the word PLEASURE :facepalm:

All in all the title "Trawler Forum" is just fine! :thumb:

Word "Trawler" maybe should be in quotes for recognition and to connote that our boats just ain't the same ol fishing trawlers that help to feed our faces. :dance: :D

Maybe even a short definition blurb could be included on what our type of "Trawlers" actually represent to us all... at time of new-bee contributors signing in!

Last edited:
"HEAVY CRUISER"

Is totally correct but not cute in the least.

"Heavy Cruiser Forum"? Not much of a draw. We're stuck w this "trawler" business accurate or misleading as it is.

When people ask me what kind of boat I have I usually tell them it's like a small fishing boat W/O all the fishing gear. For me that comes really close.

The marketing term "trawler" has become attached to just about every type of recreational cruising boat made, from Carey's lobsterboat to Don's express cruiser to our GB. And since most cruising power boat owners have long since bought into the hype and believe that their cabin cruisers are in fact, "trawlers," there is nothing to be gained by changing the name of this forum or the T&T list and so on. It's what most cruising powerboat owners think they have so they will be more inclined to check out something named Trawler Forum than something named Cabin Cruiser Forum or whatever.

If like me someone feels it is a totally bogus and inaccurate term they don't have to use it, as I don't. If someone else thinks it's the right term for their boat they should continue to use it. Thus giving the people who know better an opportunity to feel, albeit only momentarily, intellectually superior. :)

Superior?

I like that. From now on I'm going to call my Heavy Cruiser a Trawler

Do you really think most boaters don't know what a real trawler is?

Last edited:
I have invariably found that people who call their boat a "Yacht" when talking about it with other people are invariably, hmm, how should I put it.. rear-facing human orifices.
It's a boat. "What kind of boat?" A power boat. "What kind of power boat?" (in my case) It's a 56 foot long cabin cruiser.. and the more they want to drill down the more detail. So describe your boat anyway you want, but be honest. I kind of liked the way Georges titled the T&T list Trawlers and Trawlering. It was meant to connote a style of cruising as much as a style of boat.

This exercise in semantics is fun, but language is ever evolving.
I think the real test is: if you tell someone who asks what kind of boat you have, and they know you are not a professional fisherman, will your answer "it`s a trawler, or "it`s a trawler style cruiser",tell them what sort of boat you have? I think it will.

An acquaintance of ours in Dubai recently bought a Bugatti Veyron. This is a $1 million car. When we met with him the other week he referred to it as his "toy car" in comparison to the collector cars he also owns.

Then if it ain't a work truck, it's a toy.

Most here are operating "oil screw vessels".:D

oil screw???.......:lol:.....geezzz...there are a few gas counter rotating twin screws out there and a few single oil screw twin engine vessels also. This can go on and on

Did you miss "MOST"?

Back
Top Bottom