Old 10-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #21
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
I generally try to avoid buying boats with exterior teak...in fact it is a criteria when shopping. If I feel the need to beautify the exterior of the boat, I just go out to the barn and grab a couple of these.....whom we shall call "woman".....we keep them in stacks down here in Texas!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
pancake.jpg  
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
and add some nick-nacks or something on the bulkheads. The boat looks kind of bare.
I get it now. It's "pick on Art day". I will say this. If everyone got as much enjoyment out of their boats as Art seems to get from his, the world would be a better place.

Happy boating daze, Art.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The wood interior covers/protects my boat's insulation.

Wood is also handy for making closets, drawers, interior walls, etcetera.

And it looks beautiful.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #24
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Time to take some new photos Art...I feel like those folks in the pic are neighbours now...
Howdy Neighbor... Pete - we're all neighbors in da boating world! Specially due to TF and other Forums...

Naw - You'll have to grin and bear it - I tain't no photo phobe. One good pict can last a lifetime. BTW - have we seen many picts from you and yours???

Can always look up Mark's posts if it's different picts you require. Funny thing... I've read posts where people josh Mark for SOOOO many picts. Please tell me what is the correct pict number/count-amount/schedule??

Just for S&G - Say high to more of your neighbors! (Cooper's 13 yrs. this Dec 25! and Kylie is 10 now). I keep picts alive!

PS: Linda (Admiral) and I took these two grands cloths shopping last week - Coop's now size 12 "mens" shoes and a tight fit in mens medium cloths! Heck of a sportsman too! He adores basketball and goes to training on off season.
Attached Thumbnails
Linda, Art, Coop & Kyl - Full Size_100_1355.jpg  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #25
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I get it now. It's "pick on Art day". I will say this. If everyone got as much enjoyment out of their boats as Art seems to get from his, the world would be a better place.

Happy boating daze, Art.
Back at cha - Don!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post

Wood is also handy for making closets, drawers, interior walls, etcetera.

And it looks beautiful.
Surely does. Seahorse II had the tradition thing right, too. The Herreshoff style of yacht interiors is also beautiful. Painted flat work with dark wood trim.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #27
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
>Every inch is covered in wood. I guess you all know what I am talking about.

Does it have something to do with prestige or is there a practical reason that I am missing?<

The concept was if the first time boat buyer (the usual TT buyer) saw lots of nice shelacked wood (eye candy) he would not look at the construction, wiring , engine setup, fuel tanks , and would not have the boat surveyed before purchase.

AN interior woodwash worked for about a decade until folks found out how their :teak decks: were installed.

In the 70s I made a nice living outfitting and trouble shooting these new boats .

Today their construction std. is well known and old boats are priced by weather the initial construction problems were solved or not.

Caviat emptot
Nailed it, whether or not people wish to know it.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #28
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
And it looks beautiful.
It sure does!
Old 10-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
TNK

City: Tampa
I guess is part tradition, part prestige, part personal preference.

I never owned a boat, so I guess I don't know anything about tradition. Probably ,if I will ever own a boat, I would try to fit it with the most suitable materials, which, most probably would be cheaper too. I also prefer cloth seats over leather in my car. I haven't yet meet anyone else with the same preference.

Thank you all for your answers.
TNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #30
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Prefer cloth over leather seats too, but wood in a boat's interior is nice. Sure beats plastic or a rug on the walls.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #31
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Walt and others it actually is teak or the Willard Boat Owners Group dosn't know shit from teak. There probably is many kinds of Teak like there is many different kinds of Mahogany. It's all oily like all the other Teak I've been around. Feels and looks like teak but really I don't know. And on the cap rail it did turn black like everybody said it would after I quit coating it w my oil. Now I've got to get it through the winter and make a plan for spring. Anybody brought Teak back from black?

If anybody knows about TWP (Total Wood Preservative) finish please start a new thread about it. Comes from AMTECO. Not a marine product.
http://www.twp-AMTECO.com

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
I like the teak interior in our current boat, but there is so much of it it can be somewhat overwhelming at times. Also, being mostly teak veneer ply, one has to be a bit careful when attempting to refinish/repair it.

If I had my druthers, I would go with an interior somewhat akin to what we had on our previous wooden boat. It was solid mahogany trim and painted panels and was easy to repair/replace/build anew with and it visually lightens up the interior of the boat. Don't know if it qualified as a Herreshoff interior, but close.
Attached Thumbnails
Salon.jpg   Galley.jpg   Day Bed.JPG  
Old 10-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #33

City: Port Franks
Vessel Name: Nautoncall
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40
Wood=Good!
Nautoncall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #34
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
I'm with Mark!

Love the beautiful teak...
Attached Thumbnails
Interior.jpg  
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #35
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. mb. Have you considered using a pressure washer on your caprail? Although quite harsh, it may drive the oxidized (black?) oil out of the pores. A light sand where the grain is raised and then re-coat as per your desires.
As to the OP's question...Wood just feels warmer even if it's just wood accents.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #36
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
If I had my druthers, I would go with an interior somewhat akin to what we had on our previous wooden boat. It was solid mahogany trim and painted panels and was easy to repair/replace/build anew with and it visually lightens up the interior of the boat. Don't know if it qualified as a Herreshoff interior, but close.
I would say that classifies as a Herreshoff type interior.

I posted this and some photos over on this Pilgrim thread..
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...t-11212-8.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
There is a considerable amount of wood trim in the original Pilgrim vessels. Much of it done in the 'Herreshoff traditional style' of wood trim boarding white flat panels. He would create white flat surfaces for cabin walls, bulkheads, ceilings, cabinetwork, etc, then use stained and varnished woods for all of the millwork trim, that being the corner post, drawer fronts, passageway doors, and so on.

In those days the 'wood trim' was often a structural portion of the interior item, thus the carpentry skills required were even more elaborate. Nowadays the wood trim is of a 'cosmetic additional to the underlying structure. It can still accomplish the same Herreshoff 'effect'', but it is somewhat easier to build.
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #37
Guru

Quote from Brian Eiland:

In those days the 'wood trim' was often a structural portion of the interior item, thus the carpentry skills required were even more elaborate. Nowadays the wood trim is of a 'cosmetic additional to the underlying structure. It can still accomplish the same Herreshoff 'effect'', but it is somewhat easier to build.

Brian I may have misread what you meant here. There are boat manufacturers that build with GRP hulls and deck houses. The "furniture" is made to become a part of the structurals of vessel by tabbing the floors and bulkheads into the hull so that it becomes actually a part of the structure. These are mostly low volume and semi custom builders.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
We rebuilt our pilot house an v berth . I work for hardwood lumber and we use a lot of African mahogany . When I'm not doing something mechanical on the boat I'm doing wood work . I like what wood does for the interior . I think a mix of painted surface along with wood is easy on the eyes .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:01 AM   #39
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Howdy Neighbor... Pete - we're all neighbors in da boating world! Specially due to TF and other Forums...

Naw - You'll have to grin and bear it - I tain't no photo phobe. One good pict can last a lifetime. BTW - have we seen many picts from you and yours???
Pick on Art - never - he's lovely. No that was just what my old grandpa called a bit of harmless joshing, eh Walt..?

As to some more pics of me and mine...well mine anyway, as the guy taking it is me...come to think of it it nearly always is me...that's why it lopoks like I was hardly there on our video of our UK trip I guess.
But here's my 2iC, youngest son, daughter-in-law, and eldest son's two kids, my grandchildren, sadly mostly in London now. Don't know how eldest son snuck out of the pic, but he did.

Now back on topic - what was it again...oh yes...why all the wood. Well, wood's just nice...best material there is, and it floats did you know..?
Attached Thumbnails
Image105.jpg  
Old 10-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #40
FF
Guru

>The wood interior covers/protects my boat's insulation.<

Have you checked to see how well the sprayed insulation burns?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote