What is your greatest fear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I retired almost 10 years ago at age 63. Health is very good except for the occasional aches and pains that come from being in my 70's. I'm not afraid of dying but I am concerned about getting my bucket list trimmed to zero before that happens.

I retired almost 10 years ago at age 63. Health is very good except for the occasional aches and pains that come from being in my 70's. I'm not afraid of dying but I am concerned about getting my bucket list trimmed to zero before that happens.

Wifey B: I don't ever want mine to be zero. I want to add things to it every year so that I'm always dreaming. I see us at 110 lying in bed, naked (I had to throw that in) internet on giant tv, giving instructions by voice and taking virtual trips to those places and to do those things we didn't get done in the first hundred years. :)

I bought a boat so I would never have time to die. The to-do list grows faster than I can work, so I might be immortal.

Loosing my sight in my one good eye before I travel to all the places I want to see on the BC coast.

IMO, fire at sea is my greatest fear. We do not have the time to react both the fire and self rescue. With a sinking, we do have time to react. We can launch the RIB and or life raft without fear of it catching on fire.

My wife and I are both 61. I retired at 52, she followed at 55. Our last cruise ended with some health problems of my wife, that have turned into something much more serious, and has progressed much quicker, than originally predicted by her doctors.

We probably won't be going on any more long ones in the future. Take it from us, you have no idea what next year will bring.

We probably won't be going on any more long ones in the future. Take it from us, you have no idea what next year will bring.
Boy, does that hit home! Last November 14th, I had to take my wife to the ER. (Not the engine room.) 10 months later, I'm now the chief cook and bottle washer. No more boating for her and very little, if any socializing.

Advice: Do it now as there is absolutely no guarantee as to what the future holds.

Wifey B: It only takes one medical issue or incident to dramatically change the lives of an entire family. Life only comes with X number of days of good healthy and Y total days and the problem is there's no gauge to tell us when we're running low or how much we have.

I got a call one Sunday morning years ago that a teacher I taught with had died in her sleep, 35 years old. As teachers we had to not only handle it ourselves but prepare to explain to the 25 eight year old kids she taught on Monday morning and deal with all the parents, which was worse. We had parents wanting us to lie to the kids, which we refused to do. No, we cried with them, we had counselors there. Still while we dealt with those kids, her husband and her two kids had to find their way.

We have a lot of employees and we've seen the toll of deaths of them and family members including the worst of all, the death of a child.

Hubby and I have talked about the "what-if's" and one of us could no longer boat. Would we want to continue to live on the water? How would we want to spend all the time now spent in boating. Don't say travel as that's likely out for the same reasons.

I see those of you here who have been hit like Group9 and Codger2. It brings sadness thinking of you guys and a bit of trepidation knowing it could be us at any minute. One heart event, one fall. Reading this just now made us even more appreciative of our day. We did a circumnavigation. Circumnavigated Bermuda in our RIB's. :rofl:

It's also a reason we maintain our land home. Our friends, extended family are there. It's also a reason for other hobbies. For us, clearly if boating was out so would be basketball and tennis, but music and art would remain.

It's scary. I also become more aware there is no minor illness or minor injury until you know and confirm. A little heart burn can be a heart attack. A "minor fall" can lead to a hip replacement and the stats after hip replacement are horrible, even when the surgery is very successful. Doctors are still trying to figure it out. Is it because people stop rehab too soon or they reduce their activity too much or something related to the injury?

I can sit here and say if I couldn't boat, I'd want hubby to keep boating. I call BS on myself. First, I know he wouldn't. Second, I know I wouldn't want him away from me doing so. Any injury or illness will take us both down as much as we contend it shouldn't.

I do feel for those of you suffering pain or illness, whether it's you or a spouse or another family member. It sucks. There are no words that change it or make it any better, there's no solution to make it go away. It's a part of life facing us all but all the wisdom in the world doesn't make it easier. :cry:

Biggest fear - Drunk drivers (cars and boats) - I've already survived a run in with one and don't want another.

Wifey B: I don't ever want mine to be zero. I want to add things to it every year so that I'm always dreaming. I see us at 110 lying in bed, naked (I had to throw that in) internet on giant tv, giving instructions by voice and taking virtual trips to those places and to do those things we didn't get done in the first hundred years. :)
"us"? Geeesh, WifeyB, Thanks for that invitation. I didn't know you cared! :angel:

200.webp

I'm jealous, I wish I was afraid of something......oh yeah Chuck Norris!

Since this started as a marina fire topic.... Here's what one looks like:

This series of photos was taken in a time span of about 8 minutes... and yes we had a boat in there...

Attachments

• 1st mf.JPG
    1st mf.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 2nd mf.JPG
    2nd mf.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 3rd mf.JPG
    3rd mf.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 4th mf.JPG
    4th mf.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 34
That should send shudders up their backs if parked in a covered berth.

That should send shudders up their backs if parked in a covered berth.

It was one of many fires that caused building standards for covered slips to be changed. This one was back in 2005 but is still fresh in local memory.

Back
Top Bottom