What is your greatest fear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Getting caught in the tuna tower while coming through a cut or crossing a bar?

Having to abandon ship in cold water far away, and suffering the consequent ending.

But that's something you can easily do something about.

So, all we have to do to never be afraid again, is to never ever make a mistake again?

In my case that's impossible. I will be afraid again and it is almost certain it will be in large part, if not entirely my own damn fault.

In life in general it's loss of my wife's life, followed by others close to us. We've both pledged to each other how we'd go on and go forward after the death of the other, but pledging that is easier than actually doing it.

Ironically, this fear is contrary to our belief system which is that death is not to be feared. It makes it somewhat easier to accept expected death due to age and illness, but harder to deal with accidental or sudden death.

I’m not afraid of my own death, but that is different than the fear of the pain of the death of a loved one. I really don’t want to die, simply because there are things that I still want to do. I want to see my grandson grow up. I want to see my unborn grandchild be born. I want to be around to see what my son settles into. I need a few more years of work to get my finances completely established for my wife as well as my business partner.

So I’m not afraid of dying, it is just a form of fear of missing out.

Being caught unprepared.
Remember, only you can do the things required to avoid or get out of danger.
As Donna did, immediately get into action to get away from the danger.
As Donna said: "Either get on board and help me or get out of my way."
Never rely on faith or hope, that will get you dead.

I didn't mean to imply that faith or hope alone is the answer, of course preparation and education is.

But hope and faith are the things that conquer the fear, not the actions of preparation and education.

Confidence could be used as a similar term ... but it seems to me, it takes an emotion to conquer an emotion.

I've been through extensive training with others who when the actual time came to employ that training and use their confidence..... they were so fearful they were paralyzed. That's when hope or faith in their ability and the situation would have allowed them to continue on.

Last edited:
Greetings,
I never want to lose my good looks...

200w.webp

Mine is what may have happened to the Bourbon Rhode. 160 ft or so long very seaworthy tug operating in open waters at speeds of 6 knots with a hurrricane closing on you at 12-15 mph.

That someone (particularly my Admiral) would be harmed (or worse) due to my own incompetence, neglect or lack of ability. Fire aboard would also be a big one. Getting run through by one of the many ignorant fools on the ICW who can scatter equal amounts of cash and caution to the wind.

More recent ones might be that my chalky Manatee would be positioned anywhere near Ted’s (OCdiver’s) boat at the 2020 TF gathering, and that someone would mistake me for RT Firefly!:ermm:

Last edited:
An update:

I just left the marina after spending a worrisome 4 days doing nuisance projects. The ticking time bomb boat is still there. The waft of gas in the air near the boat is stifling. Owner stated they called the ins. Company and surprise, not covered. No kidding. So....I ask, what yard is the boat going to be towed to? Answer...I’m not going to tow it anywhere. I’m going to take the tanks out myself! WHAT??? I’m not a rocket scientist but I’m thinking that galvanized steel would have to be cut with something electric. Mind you, the owners are in their 70’s and live aboard. Obviously they are staying with friends for the moment. I have expressed my displeasure with the marina.

Yep my greatest fear is still a threat.

Donna; exactly how many feet away is this boat? And, if the dock lines burn thru, where will it drift? Surprised the FD called an all clear. :facepalm:

A lady in Titusville, FL tried to clean up some spilled gasoline using the nearby vacuums at a gas station... Ooops! The vacuum motors use some of the air to blow through the BRUSHED motor to cool the motor. Once you have air + gas vapor + ignition source, what do you think will happen?

Donna; exactly how many feet away is this boat? And, if the dock lines burn thru, where will it drift? Surprised the FD called an all clear. :facepalm:

It is approx. 30 feet away and the floating dock will prevent it from drifting toward me, however, if the wind is coming from the east as it often does where I’m at, about 7-10 boats are in jeopardy maybe more.

Have you talked to the marina management and asked them what they will be doing about the issue. Maybe talk to your insurance company and ask them for some advice. I would think that the marina would want the boat out of there. I can’t believe that they would be willing to accept the responsibility for an explosion that they knew was about to happen.

Have you talked to the marina management and asked them what they will be doing about the issue. Maybe talk to your insurance company and ask them for some advice. I would think that the marina would want the boat out of there. I can’t believe that they would be willing to accept the responsibility for an explosion that they knew was about to happen.

Right? It’s totally unbelievable. I have talked to both the harbor masters and neither one seems to care. In fact, it’s more like I’m the bother. Go figure.

Right? It’s totally unbelievable. I have talked to both the harbor masters and neither one seems to care. In fact, it’s more like I’m the bother. Go figure.

Make notes, time, date, places, names, talking points.

Maybe ask them for their insurance company information so that when the boat blows up you will know who to contact for your boat damage...

I would't suggest she talk to her own insurance company. Now, having a chat with the marina's insurance company may be a good idea.

Do you know if the fuel has been removed from the tanks and the bilge? The smell can linger a long time. If there is no fuel left in the boat and it is being well ventilated, it may not be a significant risk at this point. OTOH, if there is still fuel in the tank or in the bilge then I would be very concerned.

If they don't have insurance, how do they get a slip since most marinas require them to be covered with the boat owner's insurance... If the offending boat lacks enough insurance to cover their problems, that means the marina will not be protected from any damage that could or already has occurred.

Most all people I've personally known have passed. Making way for newer generations, as we all must.

An update:I just left the marina after spending a worrisome 4 days doing nuisance projects. The ticking time bomb boat is still there. The waft of gas in the air near the boat is stifling. Owner stated they called the ins. Company and surprise, not covered. No kidding. So....I ask, what yard is the boat going to be towed to? Answer...I’m not going to tow it anywhere. I’m going to take the tanks out myself! WHAT??? I’m not a rocket scientist but I’m thinking that galvanized steel would have to be cut with something electric. Mind you, the owners are in their 70’s and live aboard. Obviously they are staying with friends for the moment. I have expressed my displeasure with the marina.
Yep my greatest fear is still a threat.
That`s not tolerable. You can smell gas, strongly,it`s likely still at potentially explosive levels. My recollection is at 5% gas to air ratio it`s explosive. Under that is too lean, over is too rich, but a little breeze can change the ratio. Problem seems to be getting some action, with a less than "on the ball" Marina.
You must have a land and/or water based fire service which would take an interest in this, and get some action.It can`t stay as it is, it`s not safe, if something goes wrong the ramifications are scary. If you can`t get it fixed,look at removing yourself from the risk by leaving.

Greetings,
Ms. D. As Mr. BK suggests, perhaps leaving the hazard will lessen the worry. As I see it, this is a situation that is causing you quite a bit of grief and you have absolutely no control over it with regards to the owners doing anything.

Yes, you should contact your insurance company, the local fire brigade, perhaps the local health unit (If these people are still living aboard and breathing in the toxic fumes, they may not be in control of their faculties) AND the media (HEADLINES: Local marina makes liveaboards live in live bomb).

Do so by registered mail to all including the marina owners and make known to the owners that you have sent your concerns to all involved. Be prepared to be asked to leave if you make it too hot for the owners particularly with the media involved.

I understand that you really like the place but is it really worth the grief? IF the owners do not recognize you as an asset to their business (always busy, really nice boat) why let their problem become yours?

Last edited:
Getting my nylon anchor rode around my prop.

Greetings,
Ms. D. As Mr. BK suggests, perhaps leaving the hazard will lessen the worry. As I see it, this is a situation that is causing you quite a bit of grief and you have absolutely no control over it with regards to the owners doing anything.

Yes, you should contact your insurance company, the local fire brigade, perhaps the local health unit (If these people are still living aboard and breathing in the toxic fumes, they may not be in control of their faculties) AND the media (HEADLINES: Local marina makes liveaboards live in live bomb).

Do so by registered mail to all including the marina owners and make known to the owners that you have sent your concerns to all involved. Be prepared to be asked to leave if you make it too hot for the owners particularly with the media involved.

I understand that you really like the place but is it really worth the grief? IF the owners do not recognize you as an asset to their business (always busy, really nice boat) why let their problem become yours?

Brilliant! I work for the media. I can’t believe I didn’t think of that.

I can take the boat out of there for a bit. I have friends that have docks with no boats.

I have to give this some thought. My best option may be to just move her to a friends until there is a resolution.

I am confused as to why Donna should talk to her insurance company. Say she calls her insurance company tomorrow and tells them “I think there is a fire risk at my marina and no one is doing anything about it. I have expressed my concern to the marina but they have taken no action.” Then on Wednesday the boat blows up taking Donna’s boat with it.

I would be concerned that the insurance would not pay on the claim because they were informed that the owner knew of a risk but failed to take prudent and appropriate actions to prevent it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom