Old 12-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Not a good way to start the day....

Last night GW and I were in the lighted boat parade. We had 19 guests on board which was the staff of our local Junior Achievement and their husbands. JA supplied the muchies and brought all their own booze (no red wine!) and a good time was had by all.

I went down to the boat this morning to do a little cleanup and just to check and make sure everything was in order. As I walked down the dock, this is was I saw of the boat that's side-tied on the opposite side of the dock from us....

This is an old wood hulled boat, about 60' long that the owner had done a major refit/refinish on a couple of years ago. It was in beautiful shape with a nicely done white hull and a beautiful teak interior.

The owner had already been called and was on the way when I called him. Several people showed up with water pumps to try to stop it from sinking any further.

Before I left spill containment booms were spread out around the boat. The only leakage by the time I left was from the diesel heater exhaust outlet. At first it was just bubbling air but after all the air got out of the tank it started bubbling out diesel. We were able to contain that with the diapers so it doesn't look like there will be any environmental damage.

Best guess at this point is that the boat is sitting on the bottom so won't sink any further. They were trying to locate flotation bags when I left in an attempt to lift it off the muck bottom.

What a way to start a nice Saturday.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Real sad. Fresh water?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Kent Island, MD
Vessel Name: M.V. LOTTIE
Vessel Model: Lien Hwa/Pilothouse LRC
What a heart breaker!
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
I realize it probably happened over night however I doubt it so what I don't get is from the time it started to it's present state tell me that there wasn't anyone around that noticed? It didn't all of a sudden end up on the bottom without some indication it was happening.

My heart sank when I saw this picture... so sad
Old 12-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
We left our boat last night around 10:30 and it was fine at that time. The guy in the next slip to my boat noticed it at 8:30 this morning.

It is fresh water, and about 43*. At this time of year it's usually very clear. Once boats start hitting the water and the spring runoff starts it gets cloudy.

Nobody knows, but at this point speculation is that a thru-hull hose gave out. That boat probably has 3" thru-hull fittings and a 3" hole 5' beneath the surface lets a lot of water in.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Yep a lot of intake that's for sure but a couple of bilge pumps could or should have kept up or the very least got someone's attention.

So sad!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Trawler
Old 12-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
That is a shocker, really feel for him. Very much 'there but for the grace of god......'

No way of knowing what caused this, however I do worry about thru hull fittings, their failure can be so catastrophic.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #8

City: Brisbane
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze NL View Post
Yep a lot of intake that's for sure but a couple of bilge pumps could or should have kept up or the very least got someone's attention.
Should be easy enough to rig a horn / alarm for those as well.
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
That's a shame.
Glad we have dry exhaust.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Oh Brother! All that work. Well, with fresh cold water, maybe it has a chance to come back pretty good. Sad, sad, sad.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Makes me sick to see those pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
wood boat...I wouldn't necessarily think thru-hull hose any more than just a plank letting go....

you would have to be a complete dolt to let thru-hull and hose maintenance go that bad when a wooden hull not recently refastened is a time bomb waiting to open up.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #13

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
I have crawled thru many vessels and only found a hand full where the owner had mounted a 2nd high mounted bilge switch that turn on a red rotating beacon and strobe lite to get people attention. Also saw one with a siren attached to switch. not a big cost for the benefit. My vessel has a strobe an really loud beeping horn. The battery bank that powers it is mounted high also.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
I believe that is the GB 50 we met up the Snake 3 summers ago... it looks like he had really cleaned it up ( except for the sunken part ) in the last few years. It is always heartbreaking to see a boat go down... luckily it is in fresh water.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron T View Post
I have crawled thru many vessels and only found a hand full where the owner had mounted a 2nd high mounted bilge switch that turn on a red rotating beacon and strobe lite to get people attention. Also saw one with a siren attached to switch. not a big cost for the benefit. My vessel has a strobe an really loud beeping horn. The battery bank that powers it is mounted high also.

I have two high bilge water switches.

Either one goes off and less than 10 seconds later I get a text and a e-mail on my Iphone, my Ipad, my home computer, and my office computer.

Then I get the same text and e-mail every minute until the alarm goes away.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #16
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
That's a shame.
Glad we have dry exhaust.
Yes, but the genset, water maker, and drip less systems on your rudder and shaft are potential water ingress points. And too, how about the salt water wash down on some Nordhavns?

I'd guess too on the sunk vessel a board was sprung. But on some older vessels there are ever so many through hulls to be suspect about.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #17
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Yes, but the genset, water maker, and drip less systems on your rudder and shaft are potential water ingress points. And too, how about the salt water wash down on some Nordhavns? I'd guess too on the sunk vessel a board was sprung. But on some older vessels there are ever so many through hulls to be suspect about.
Yep, but we try to close all the valves every time we leave the boat. Not sure if everyone else does, but that's regular procedure for us.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #18
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Makes my heart sink - Too!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #19

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
I have gotten 3 call from customers to install a warning system since this started. If you go to WOLO MFG. CORP. VEHICLE HORNS, WARNING LIGHTS & ACCESSORIES their truck back up alarms are water-proof and cost $ 45. for Model BA-107. 107 DB loud. Also waterproof strobe and LED warning lites; $ 60. to $ 120.00 Plus good bilge switch and wire. I feel the expense and time needed, 3 hours with 2 coffee brakes, is well worth it.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #20
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron T View Post
My second stage bilge pump, probably 8" higher than the smaller primary, has a fused wire added from the "switch to pump" side straight up to the lower helm horn button "button to horn" side. KISS. No diodes. Just wire. Yes the pump spins when I hit the horn button- probably does it some good to spin. And yes the horn blows when I lift the float switch to test it (on the to do list to replace with a Water Witch) but this just confirms the wiring and horn are still operational.
Having added my 2˘ let me also agree how sad it is to see such a beautiful vessel sink. Almost doesn't look real in that clear still water.