Old 02-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #41
Guru

City: Trenton
ICW, Canadian and US canals, Chesapeake bay.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #42
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Yep, I did that just for you.

But, you can boat year round. Remember Alaska? I haven't even been to my boat for 5 months.

I'm going down in mid march to dewinterize ready or not. I'll just leave the furnace on if I have to.
I still am stuck on the March boat prep for the year. But yes I can boat all year here, but soon it will be "North to Alaska, North the rush is on!!!!"
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #43
Guru

City: Pensacola
Bahamas. The Exuma's.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #44

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Key West up the ICW to the Chesapeake bay, grew up on the bay, spent 22 years in the Navy so don't really care to do another Trans-Atlantic. Smallest ship I did that on was a 445 foot Frigate and let me tell you that was too SMALL! I definitely want to get to the Bahamas, Washington State and inside passage. I have boated in most of these places quite a bit except for Washington and inside passage but never on my own boat. Cruising these places on MY boat is what will make the journey special to me.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #45
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Can’t tell ya me exacto plans... cause, even I don’t really know em! I’m a planner from the word go who never stops thinken and thrives in impulse on actions that create high energy lasting agendas – Now, that is really dyslexia at its pinnacle! And, yes, I was so dyslexic when young they thought me to be nearly a moron till Momma and Hugh figured me brain out and showed me how I could override my mind’s double reverse negatives to be able to actually operate in the “real” world. LOL I didn’t learn to read till 6th grade... once I could make my mind jump the reading hurdle – well – I was then off to the races for rest o’ me life! Far as I’m concerned Hugh McGlade my sixth grade teacher and Mom saved my ass by 6th grade. Then Dad took over once I could think straight and he could better communicate to and with me. He actually formed me into what I am... whatever that may be; you’ll get different accounts from different folks!

My life has been private unto me and yet open to a few of my closest, who know me well. I've said more here about myself than I ever said in public before, guess it’s time... Never knew I'd feel so at home on a public forum. TF has an aura of magic, a unique mystique if you will, cause boating and love of water holds its own community type of a clique!

Soooo.... Water and boats have always been a love of mine but not practiced throughout my every decade. I’m currently entering into a new business phase at 62 years and loven it... especially as long as the stars line up correctly and ample funds get into my Corp account. This biz should take about 5 to 7 years to get it to the point of “Sell It Baby!” After that only the Big One really knows my future. But I can say, I’m feelen fit as a fiddle and stay in good condition. My sights are set on reaching 110 yrs, God Willen!! Therefore, even if I don’t stop inventing and working till 70 I should have around 20 to 25 years for straight out botten ta do – If I decide to!

At that time, in da back o’ me pea brain I gots visions (dreams) of maybe liven aboard a motor sailor and plying whatever damn waters suite my fancy at the time! I pray that my Admiral is as lucky and that our extended family all are still OK and ready to visit our boat whenever possible.

Most of all on this thread I’m hoping that all YOUR future dreams come to fruition!

Reading this thread and writing this post has afforded me a comfortable break in the day... now, I diven back inta work on my puter... again!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #46
Guru

City: Pensacola
Rock errr Sail On Art!
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #47

City: Green Turtle Cay/Western NC
I just wanted to hop in my whaler and stab a crawfish or two today but a nasty front just blew through. Maybe tomorrow.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #48
Veteran Member

City: Jacksonville, NC
Vessel Name: Tra Sea Time
Vessel Model: 1989 Marine Trader 38 DC
Steve, The Oceans Roar, great poem. Who composed it? You?
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #49
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald View Post
We're cruising the gulf coast now and actually about to go horseback riding on the beach. A first for us. But new adventures every day if we only pursue them.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #50
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
My dreams keep being realized every summer I spend wandering around the waters of BC and/or SE Alaska. They are even better as much of the time I have a guest aboard who is enjoying a rare chance to experience cruising this gorgeous country. A sister, an old buddy from my younger days, or in the last couple of years a very young buddy who now lives with us.

"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #51
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCook View Post
My dreams keep being realized every summer I spend wandering around the waters of BC and/or SE Alaska. They are even better as much of the time I have a guest aboard who is enjoying a rare chance to experience cruising this gorgeous country. A sister, an old buddy from my younger days, or in the last couple of years a very young buddy who now lives with us.

Richard, how fortunate you are to be in such a great cruising ground. How fortunate your young buddy is to be able to take it all in, and have you as a mentor. You're a good man.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #52
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I like the Alaskan tennis shoes on the youngster.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #53
Veteran Member

City: Morehead City, NC
Vessel Name: Grande Jete`
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 46 Classic
We just this week arrived in Marathon from Morehead City NC, 26 days. A little over 900 nm, and our first long distance cruise. We will head back to MHC in May, and hopefully to the West Coast of Florida and then the Bahamas next year.
Seaisleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #54
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCook View Post

I recommend taking care of that young fellow. He's lucky to have you as you are he. Show him all you can. Seems from his stance and the pose on his visage he contains an old soul compared to his few years...I'd say he's a winner! And, in future, he just might help take care of you! Congrats on having a young buddy like that!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #55
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald View Post
No, I sure did not write it, I did read it years ago on some website I don't remember which I lost it somehow and remembered just enough of it to find it again on a sailors website. He had found it on another sailing site and said the author was unknown.
One of my favorites although I haven't heeded it's advice!
Old 02-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #56
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Milford, Dusky, and Doubtful Sounds, on the south eastern coast of the South Island of New Zealand. Beautiful, remote, unspoiled.
I have been on Milford (the easy one and a little spoiled) and Doubtful Sound (much less easy), on local commercial boats. They are fjord like, might need to extend the trawler anchor rode first. Big cruise liners also visit these Sounds.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #57
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
The best dreams often are the ones you never had. I've sure been blessed with some things I never anticipated in life.

But to boating:

Two weeks ago today we were planning a cruise the next week up the east coast. We let someone talk us into going the Okeechobee route to the gulf instead and changed our target to New Orleans. We did not have the details planned out but just headed out the following Tuesday morning. Let's see since that time some of the things we've done that we didn't anticipate:

1. Got a guide and went bass fishing on Lake Okeechobee. Also, our guests went without a guide, just rented a boat. Between the four of us caught quite a bit and then moved on to a marina where we had a fish fry, grill and bake for all who wanted to join. We are not fisherpersons. Had not fished on a lake in years.

2. Apalachacola. We didn't plan on going the GICW in that area but just going on around to Panama City. But this town was incredible, especially all the local artists and being able to go to their studios. Had no idea they were there.

3. So we stayed on the GICW. A couple of days later landed in Port St. Joe. Went horseback riding on the beach. Didn't even know it was possible until a couple of days before. What a fun time. We've never really ridden horses. I did on a mountain trail when a kid one time.

4. So how do you top horses. Dolphins. Oh we do love them. So much fun to watch them frolic. Had no idea we'd ever actually swim with them. But they offer that at Gulf World.

So we have no idea what lies ahead. Still targeting New Orleans but wanting Mardi Gras over. Those things above are just the most spectacular of our adventures the last two weeks. The beach in Clearwater, the beautiful weather crossing the Gulf, the restaurants, the great people we've met, walking so many new areas. We set out with a direction and an idea of the marinas we'd dock at. The towns we thought we'd visit. Well, we have another month on this round trip. Who knows what delightful diversions. Tomorrow just going to go exploring on our tender. Then to the next port. But there are always more ports and more adventures.

Ironic, in business, I was the most organized with everything planned to the last detail and all according to schedule. Now, I let things come to me. Amazing how enjoyable that can be.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #58
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
To cruise from NL to the Keys in Sept and back again in June with an Outer Reef 108 or is it the Lotto... hmmm I guess one gets the other. Anyway it's a dream so I can dream what I want..
Attached Thumbnails
108 Explorer.jpg  
Old 03-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #59
Guru

City: Vermont
Long term, all over the world. At least the places that are interesting to me and not overly dangerous.

Already been around the Canadian Maritimes and down to the Bahamas, though one could spend a lifetime exploring that stretch alone.

Short term (the next 2 years) the PNW, Alaska, and Mexico. From there we will likely pop across the Pacific through the Polynesian islands and down to New Zealand.

After that, who knows.