What you do in real life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you do in real life

Independent claims loss adjuster 55 years. Large loss adjuster. Seen it all.
Father of 4, grandfather of 7, still learning.

Engineer. Mechanical by training but have been involved with emerging technologies (start-ups) in in biotech land for my entire 35 year career. Currently working in the synthetic DNA space. We make machines which assemble synthetic DNA for academic research, agriculture, pharma, etc. We are not surprisingly very busy in the Covid research and vaccine space at the moment. I've been very fortunate to work on some interesting projects over the years, its been a great run.

....but I prefer messing about in boats.....

Police Sergeant here...27 years (larger department in Washington State). Only 2.5 years to go and yes, I am counting the days. Because I am 'wired' to work, post retirement-find something I might really enjoy, put our daughter through college and continue enjoying boating/snow skiing.

X car salesman, and exotic dancer. Or maybe I’m just a bad dancer, but my moves seem exotic to me.

?????

I was just getting warmed up when Jewel made me go back to the boat!

X car salesman, and exotic dancer. Or maybe I’m just a bad dancer, but my moves seem exotic to me.

Didn't see any vids of you pole dancing coming back from the Bahama's! Of course, the pole was in the horizontal position, so I guess that would have made it a little difficult . . . . but a REAL pole dancer would have figured something out . . . .

Human Geneticist, worked in Pathology & Laboratory Medicine within Health Care/hospitals for decades in Southern California. Own a Laboratory Planning and Design firm for the past 16+ years, operate nationally and internationally. A passion for Astronomy. My blood composition: mostly salt water with a few cells thrown in for luck. Grew up on Jacques Cousteau, SCUBA Diving Southern California in earlier years, sailing Southern California for a decade, now cruising BC. Quite a change for a Chicago/Midwest guy!

It all started with boats....
Grandpa has several, built a few commercial fishing boats of his own, dad had a few. My first boat was a 16' 1965 Flatbottom Jet boat. I took it from Washington Park to Friday Harbor... Not the smartest thing to do, but it was fun. From there we had many river boats, fishing boats, Ski boats, then we went to a 24' Searay, 33' Egg Harbor, 48' Egg Harbor. I think I will keep this boat until I retire, then move to a Nordic.

Real life?
It all started with boats, went to teck school for Diesel mechanics, was hired by Foss Tug. Did my apprenticeship as an outside machinist. After that I thought the ship yard was not for me. I could not do the same thing every day at the same place. As good as Foss was to me I went into construction. 25 years later I am still with the same company. I started as a form setter, then foreman, now HSE. We build/maintain refinery's. I have traveled a good bit with them, Most all of the States, South Pacific, UAE. And after 25 years here I would like to go back to boats... But being older and fatter and comfortable with a desk job, its not going to be easy if I change back.

In my spare time I flip cars, bikes, boats. Always working, as busy hands keep a sane mind.
Current project's are a 65 MG Midget, and the Egg harbor bright work...

I actually am a piano player in a whorehouse but I told my mom I am a lawyer.....

Actually I am an evil real estate developer. You know that old song "Paved Paradise and Put Up a Parking Lot"?....well..that was me.

Two years ago a botched surgery left me in a coma on life support. When I finally recovered I realized the universe was trying to tell me something and I decided I no longer need to take over the world. Fast forward a year ...my wife is retired and I am still working....now sure how that happened.:facepalm:

Was it a player piano so your hands were free?

I actually am a piano player in a whorehouse but I told my mom I am a lawyer.....

Actually I am an evil real estate developer. You know that old song "Paved Paradise and Put Up a Parking Lot"?....well..that was me.

Two years ago a botched surgery left me in a coma on life support. When I finally recovered I realized the universe was trying to tell me something and I decided I no longer need to take over the world. Fast forward a year ...my wife is retired and I am still working....now sure how that happened.:facepalm:

Living in Greenport must equal a win for over 50% of the battle!

Greetings,
Mr. S. "...now sure how that happened." HAH! You are either wearing your "Freudian slip" OR you have discovered just one of the many hidden secrets of womanhood.

Listen to the Universe.

iu

I don’t think you got the joke right….but lawyers never were that good at self deprecating humor!!!

I don’t think you got the joke right….but lawyers never were that good at self deprecating humor!!!
The version I used was "I`m a lawyer but I tell my Mum I play piano in a gay brothel". On reflection, it might have been more fun.

Ma ran off when I was 5, got put in Dr Barnardo's for a couple of years and rescued by my Grandparents. Grew up on a smallholding and started driving tractors, harvesters etc on other farms from 11 yrs old to bring in a bit of money.
My grandparents sadly died when I was 14 and an older brother with his wife came to run the small holding, we didn't really get on as they were lazy.
Ran away at 15 to emigrate to Australia, got caught, ran away again and joined an Anglo Greek tramp ship working around the Med that brought the love of the sea and boats. I got some cash to keep my mouth shut for 'extra cargo' instead of booze & whore's I banked it.
Customs/cops getting curious so I told the skipper I was slipping away at the next port and got back to England and joined the army as a boy soldier.
After Malaya I got posted to Holywood just outside Belfast, saw possibilities for business, after my time was up I returned to Ireland, after a few jobs, bus driver, night time wholesale newspaper delivery, shipping clerk, truck driver I bought my own truck.
Noticed a niche market in bulk liquid and powder tankers for industry and built a business designing my own equipment, storing and transporting liquids and powders.
Sold the business as my son wanted to join the RAF.
Got divorced, wife emptied the bank so I started all over again. Eventually able to buy a boat to live on and then into another haulage business transporting medicines and foodstuffs in reefers around Europe.
Finally said enough of working 18 hour days its 'me time' now and sailed off into the sunset from Ireland over to the French inland waters and around the Med.
I'd always managed through it to have some sort of boat from a dinghy progressively larger as I wanted to protect the kids and get them away from the Belfast 'troubles' and grow up normally.
I've written a 5 books which sell on Amazon, How To Cruise Into Retirement, How To Cruise Between Two Seas, The Wolf's Lair, Encore & Windmills and Wine.
Spend my time renovating property and as I get older more time gently cruising with the boat in gear and the mind in neutral.

Last edited:
The version I used was "I`m a lawyer but I tell my Mum I play piano in a gay brothel". On reflection, it might have been more fun.

You got it right. As it relates to pilots….”I’m a pilot. But don’t tell my mother. She thinks I’m a piano player in a whorehouse!”.

Never heard it with the gay part. But timely.

Wow, Irish Rambler, that’s quite a road you’ve traveled.

That’s an impressive collection of experiences. Sounds like you are not a guy that takes the easy route. Great stories, I’m sure.

The majority of my working life was as a commercial fisherman. Back in the eighties I went to Maine Maritime and got a license which when I retired was a 1600 ton master oceans, 5000 ton master of fishing industry vessels and designated duty engineer 4000hp. I mostly ran trawlers in the North Atlantic, Bering Sea and Gulf of Alaska but I also ran oil supply boats in the GOM and in my off time ran ferries for the State of Maine. I had a land job once but I found it so distasteful I barely remember what it was.

Depends on which life. I've been a carpenter, farmhand, automotive tech (25+ yrs), long haul truck driver, and am now a full time gunsmith/retail gun shop owner.

Law enforcement. Second career I began at 35. Twenty six years later and at my second and final Dept. Now a patrol sergeant running shifts in a city which borders Seattle. I’ve done plain-clothes, uniformed patrol, detective in the criminal investigations unit and then promoted in July 2017. I have 19 work days left and I’ll retire. ::dance::thumb:

Pretty much grew up on the water. Snorkeling, spearfishing, surfing, kayaking, outrigger canoe paddling...could never afford a boat in Hawai’i. Like said; I’m a cop. Massive salaries don’t come with the job. And my mom and dad came from a basic, middle class tree. Silver spoons were not used in my house.

We have a very modest 25’ cruiser. It allows us the ability to enjoy the waters of the PNW. It’s very basic, like an RV or camp trailer. Luxurious it’s not. But it’s affordable to someone not oozing cash. Depending on what happens post retirement we may keep it or move on to a larger, used trawler.

Localboy, if you've got a good sense of humour, good health and a happy marriage/relationship to enjoy your retirement messing around on the water you'll be just as content as a guy with an 80' mega yacht. Probably more so.
Happy retirement buddy.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin?

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons.

Law enforcement. Second career I began at 35. Twenty six years later and at my second and final Dept. Now a patrol sergeant running shifts in a city which borders Seattle. I’ve done plain-clothes, uniformed patrol, detective in the criminal investigations unit and then promoted in July 2017. I have 19 work days left and I’ll retire. ::dance::thumb:

Pretty much grew up on the water. Snorkeling, spearfishing, surfing, kayaking, outrigger canoe paddling...could never afford a boat in Hawai’i. Like said; I’m a cop. Massive salaries don’t come with the job. And my mom and dad came from a basic, middle class tree. Silver spoons were not used in my house.

We have a very modest 25’ cruiser. It allows us the ability to enjoy the waters of the PNW. It’s very basic, like an RV or camp trailer. Luxurious it’s not. But it’s affordable to someone not oozing cash. Depending on what happens post retirement we may keep it or move on to a larger, used trawler.

Thank you very much for your service and please be safe for your last 19 days.

Chris

localboy, do you have 19 days of sick leave? Stay home for 19 days. SMILE

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom