Old 12-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
What would be your "apocalypse boat"?

Just for fun [emoji16], let's say we had some sort of apocalyptic-type event (zombie, geo political, whatever) that required drastic action. For boaters like us, it seems like leaving land and trying to survive at sea could be a reasonable (but still difficult) way of attempting to survive such an event, if we had the right boat.

But what would make a good zombie boat? Most of our current boats would not make it obviously since most are coastal cruisers without the range or heavy construction, water makers or robust solar, etc. Some here have blue water boats with huge fuel tanks, but they are diesel-only powered which would eventually be a problem if fuel is scarce.

I think would pick a motorsailer-type boat, with a simple non-electronic main, huge tanks for diesel and water, and a big enough sail plan to move it well enough without the engine. No fancy stabilizers needed that would be hard to repair in zombie land. Mainly use the diesel fuel for making water and charging batteries when needed. Probably a steel boat that could be worked on in all countries, and have a welding machine on board. Bilge keels would be nice so I could do repairs at low tide when in the right spot.

Disclaimer-- I watched World War Z last night [emoji41]
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 01. Probably a clipper...

Old 12-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #3
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #4
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Forget the boat. Get a submarine. See the 1959 film "On the Beach".
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:33 AM   #5
Guru

I like the way y'all think!

The bottle of whiskey is probably the best bet. [emoji23]
Old 12-01-2016, 10:33 AM   #6
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Motor sailor, lots of batteries, solar and wind charging, big tanks, built proof (literally) construction, short wave radio, very large wine storage, water makers, dive compressor, hookah rig, large holding plate freezers, large hard drive movie/TV storage, built in gasoline storage tank, security cameras, ability to ground the boat on its own keels for service, Vulcan mini gun, flame thrower, jacuzzi, stripper pole, etc., etc.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:37 AM   #7
Guru

Ok Bill, I'm calling you when the crap hits the fan.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Ok Bill, I'm calling you when the crap hits the fan.
Just bring the strippers!
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:08 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Home with friends and family. Best if you think one is coming, become a farmer. I don't want to be safely out to sea while others are back in our home area suffering. I really don't think about those things as if it really goes that bad, there are no winners. It's like bomb shelters. Do you spend the rest of your life in one? Do you emerge to see all the death and destruction? There's no good in any of it. If everyone else on the planet is wiped out, I don't have any great desire to be the one survivor.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #10
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
For me it would be this:

or this in case no more diesel

Seaworthy, spacious, I would be able to add a machine gun turret on the bow just in case.

And yes I love Nordhavn, I lov'em I lov'em I lov'em
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #11

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: Pacemaker 1990 37' Convertible
If the bomb is coming, drop it on me so I can stand outside and watch it.

I don't want to limp away from this mess.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:39 PM   #12
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Name:  IMG_1480617420.969763.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  6.1 KB

Just something to push pole across my pond and check the trot line, maybe gig a couple frogs with.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #13
Guru

The tale of Chicken Little isn't well enough known today. (Henny Penny in some parts of the world).

My father use to talk of times in the early 60's when everyone thought the end was near. From building bomb shelters in their basements to hoarding. He had one client who decided the banking system would collapse again and we'd have another great depression so kept all he had in the form of silver in his large safe in his home. He was convinced when it happened, that would somehow save him. My father told him it would take him a wheelbarrow load of silver to go buy some food, that if he really thought the collapse was coming, then he should become a farmer as they'd be the only ones prepared.

There are businesses that operated on those beliefs. Sewell Avery of Montgomery Ward believed the collapse was coming so he stopped opening new stores. He wouldn't even pay for painting the existing ones. His fantasy was that when the depression came, he'd have cash and buy all the others, especially Sears. Needless to say that didn't work out and it was several years and litigation and government involvement before he was removed from running the company.

People can get so focused on preparing for the worst, that they lose sight of the present and reality. It's so easy today, looking around the world, to fear collapse or doom or terrorism or war worldwide. While i do believe in prudent planning, I don't plan for the worst. I realized long ago, being a pessimist was a losing cause. My wife, the eternal optimist, sure helps there.

If I was going to obsess over hurricanes, I couldn't live where I do. The same way, I'm careful not to obsess over the possible worst outcomes for the world.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #14
Guru

What would be your "apocalypse boat"?

It's just a silly thought experiment. Sheesh.

But I agree, it's obviously not a good idea to always plan for the worst. That's a terrible way to live.

Now for those who have ocean capable boats, wouldn't you hop on that sucker and take off if things got weird? And if so, where would you go?
Old 12-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #15
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I've heard suicide is painless.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:57 PM   #16
Guru

I submit this "poor man's" apocalypse escape vessel. Big enough to live on. Steel so can be repaired anywhere. Big water tanks. Decent size fuel tank. Big enough to live on. Plenty of room on the bow for Captain Bill's Vulcan Mini gun. Mizzenmast can be used for the stripper pole.

Has an engine I've never heard of however...

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985...s#.WEAnHoZOKEc
Old 12-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I've heard suicide is painless.

But it brings on many changes...
Old 12-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
It's just a silly thought experiment. Sheesh.

But I agree, it's obviously not a good idea to always plan for the worst. That's a terrible way to live.

Now for those who have ocean capable boats, wouldn't you hop on that sucker and take off if things got weird? And if so, where would you go?
I wouldn't. We have too many people on land we're too close to. We'd all get together and party as long as we could. I just couldn't sail off and leave them. If I had a boat capable of taking them all, it might be different. Just something about it seems like running and I have no problem with running for myself, but running from my friends, I couldn't.

It's the same thing that keeps us from moving to an island off Panama or Belize or in the Bahamas. Maybe it's a bit like the captain going down with the ship kind of feeling.

Now if for some reason, I was forced to leave the country, where would I go, I'll try to answer that, since that's a consideration many are currently tossing around. I think probably an island in the Bahamas. Or somewhere in the Caribbean would be fine. Perhaps St. Maarten as surely whatever it is I'm safe with the Dutch.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #19
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 01. Hold it now, I thought this was a zombie thread. Bombs, totally different circumstances....

Old 12-01-2016, 02:31 PM   #20
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
Sail power with electric drive, wind and solar out the wazoo. hand pumped water maker with a go-zillion spare membranes. LOTS of fishing gear. Diesel and gas go bad pretty quickly. then you just have an extra mooring block.

Maybe re-fit a lightship? they were made to just sit out there in the snot for long periods. if there's nowhere to go, why not just anchor up or drift around the sargasso sea?

high test booze is a must, as well as dive gear.

and dirt and paper for trading
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote