Old 10-01-2023, 01:57 PM   #1

City: Avon
What Would You Have Done?

Wonderful real time video of a 58 Hatt losing helm control while maneuvering in tight quarters. Fortunately everything moved very slowly including the wind. It's easy to second guess, but I don't think I would have gone below to try rebooting the Micro Commanders until I arrested the boats movement. A small Danforth off the stern or drop the bow anchor first. And 5 loud blasts!
DougD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 02:38 PM   #2

City: SWFL
Anchor first thing then security call on 16. 5 blasts if you get close to other boat. There is always a sea tow or tow boat around busy areas which is one reason for security call. Turned out ok but their response was a bit delayed.

Scott
scott_free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 06:22 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Very good example of how things can go wrong quickly.
In hindsight, an anchor could have been lowered much sooner, captain then could have gone below and fixed the problem. But instead, panic sets in and regardless of whether we know what to do, we just do not react and do it.
Deer in the headlight.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 06:47 PM   #4
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
I would like to think that I would have avoided the situation by fixing the controllers when they failed previously. A similar failure occurred in an earlier video.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 06:48 PM   #5
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
What would I have done? Turned on my red-over-red ("the captain is dead") navigation lights, if course.

Kidding aside, I sure would like a pair of those mammoth fenders the mega yacht had.

Peter

EDIT - Psneeld - curious how the BoatUS guy gets paid here. No negotiation occured prior to his assistance. How is the work valued given it was an emergency? Thoughts?
Old 10-01-2023, 09:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
I would like to think that I would have avoided the situation by fixing the controllers when they failed previously. A similar failure occurred in an earlier video.
They said it had previously occurred 1,000 miles ago and they had thought it was fixed.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 10:12 PM   #7
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
They said it had previously occurred 1,000 miles ago and they had thought it was fixed.
They seem like a nice enough couple, and I appreciate their transparency but I really don't agree with some of his plans and conclusions. I find the juxtaposition the YouTube channels Trying Not To Sink and InTooDeep really interesting. Both are cruising in older Hatteras motor yachts and document their coastal adventures.

One might assume the young man on InTooDeep, on a shoestring budget and single handing or running with very inexperienced crew, is more likely to run into trouble, but he is really mechanically inclined and seems to do pretty well. Trying Not To Sink, a middle age couple, presumably be greater financial resources and life experience seem to run into more misadventures. Perhaps it is just the way the stories are told but, I feel the two channels really convey the value in mechanical skills in this hobby/pursuit, as well as the energy of youth.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 10:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The young guy on InTooDeep is incredible. I am constantly amazed how much work he gets done in a short time.
Old 10-01-2023, 10:17 PM   #9
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
What would I have done? Turned on my red-over-red ("the captain is dead") navigation lights, if course.

Kidding aside, I sure would like a pair of those mammoth fenders the mega yacht had.

Peter

EDIT - Psneeld - curious how the BoatUS guy gets paid here. No negotiation occured prior to his assistance. How is the work valued given it was an emergency? Thoughts?
as soon as tow boat got them away from superyacht, I heard $3000 insurance coverage for towing
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 10:39 PM   #10

City: Fayetteville
Vessel Name: Donna Mae
Vessel Model: 2005 Mainship 430
I was in Titusville when this happened to them before. I was one of 4-5 boats on the wrong side of the situation. Nothing major for me, dinghy tube busted when I got bumped but worse for the others. My takeawayÖ. I have microcommanders on boat i e had a year. Damn things should be outlawed. I was thankful to hear from the captain about the seized cable and reboot that fixes it but agree with those that said they should not have left to the islands till that was fixed. All that said, I am trying hard not to armchair quarterback this as those damn shifters scare the hell outta me.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 10:55 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

As I saw the video I didnít think they were in the islands when it originally broke. They said they thought it was fixed and had traveled 1,000 miles since then. So I canít point blame at them.
Old 10-01-2023, 11:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
As I saw the video I didnít think they were in the islands when it originally broke. They said they thought it was fixed and had traveled 1,000 miles since then. So I canít point blame at them.

You are correct. It happened stateside in Titusville. Would hate to experience myself. As an old IT guy we spent a lot of time defining root cause of any failure before proceeding with anything. Truly a tough situation for anyone.
Old 10-01-2023, 11:48 PM   #13
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
I would never have had electronic controls at all.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:23 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I have Glendinning synchronizers on mine. I thought that they had gone out because when I turned it on the light wouldnít come on. Turned out it was the bulb being burned out. Easy fix.
Old 10-02-2023, 03:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: PNW USA
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I would never have had electronic controls at all.

When an electronic propulsion control fails, it defaults back to to idle-neutral. When cable control fails, it's more likely in gear and staying there. I'd rather not be on the boat with the latter problem.
vertigopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 05:46 AM   #16
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Can't say what I would've done until it happens to me. But I was surprised they weren't on the horn signals and vhf rather than the waving of the arms.
CharlieO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 06:49 AM   #17
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieO. View Post
Can't say what I would've done until it happens to me. But I was surprised they weren't on the horn signals and vhf rather than the waving of the arms.
Or both as the person on the foredeck may or may not should have been dropping the anchor to drag and slow the boat just enough without a sudden swing that might cause a worse situation.

Did I hear a thruster in the background noise?

Also, I am not sure why they stopped after noticing the problem, still thought they had a problem.... then started moving pretty fast again?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 08:33 AM   #18
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigopilot View Post
When an electronic propulsion control fails, it defaults back to to idle-neutral. When cable control fails, it's more likely in gear and staying there. I'd rather not be on the boat with the latter problem.
That's what should happen, but if they're electronic controls with mechanical actuators, I wouldn't count on it. Plus, a stuck in gear with either type of controls is an easy fix. Shut down the affected engine and now it's back in neutral.

A cable can fail, but it's fairly rare without obvious symptoms of an issue to give plenty of warning. And assuming you have more than 1 person on board, after the shutdown you can disconnect the failed cable and either return the throttle to idle or shifter to neutral manually at the engine/trans. And then if you need that engine for docking, restart and operate from the ER if you can communicate to the person down there.

My biggest concern with electronic controls is that some of them seem to be a bit too fragile and too sensitive to input power. In concept, they're fine, but it seems like at least some of the implementations out there for recreational boats are just not adequate.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 09:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Or both as the person on the foredeck may or may not should have been dropping the anchor to drag and slow the boat just enough without a sudden swing that might cause a worse situation.

Did I hear a thruster in the background noise?

Also, I am not sure why they stopped after noticing the problem, still thought they had a problem.... then started moving pretty fast again?

No thruster on this boat.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:40 AM   #20
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
If you've not experienced a control failure or propulsion failure in close quarters thinking through this situation and their response is a good thought exercise. It could prove to be valuable in future.

Thinking through their situation I would have first used the horn to get the attention of the yacht at risk and other boater's nearby, then the loud haiier to announce the problem. VHF would come last because the first consideration is the yacht they are drifting into. It is docked therefore they likely won't have the VHF on.

I will say having experienced control and propulsion failures in close quarters as deck crew and helms person each situation is different. Therefore the best possible response in each scenario is different.

The only actions that can be considered universally useful in any and all scenarios are to communicate the urgency, VHF, loud hailer and horn. And fenders, get the fenders out, as many as practical, as soon as possible.