What Would You Have Done ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We also had a Torqeedo electric motor for our dinghy, and the "Error 22" started happening more frequently until it died completely. Research indicated that the motor and control circuit board are in the bottom of the leg, which is prone to water leakage, leading to destruction of the board.
I took ours apart, everything inside was water damaged, and the seal surfaces were pitted beyond repair. We ditched it, and bought an ePropulsion electric motor instead.
Just a heads up to watch out for.

First mistake was running on iffy power near anything hard and unyielding. Could you have had the sail up and luffing before you got so close to the rocks? Or just sailed out sans Torqueedo?

Also never try to sail into the teeth of a Santa Ana.

We tried to sail into the Naval Shipyard Long Beach basin against a Santa Ana wind so strong there was flying trash in the air. I was not skipper. 5 HP motor was useless on the Catalina 25 against that wind. It was dark and we were roaring back and forth in the entrance tacking within a few boat lengths of those large hard granite blocks lining the eastern side of the channel vainly trying to make ground when the jib blew to tatters and we had to jibe that thing. I was sure we either would not make the turn before crashing or the boom would rip off as it flew around in the jibe. After successfully jibing we moved to the shelter of the jetty arm on the west side of the channel which formed the Navy basin and flagged a passing car to alert the US Coast Guard detachment inside the basin to come get us. 50 years later, I can still remember the hull number on the stern of that cutter, 40416!!!

Not trying to be critical, but why not have the sails up when leaving the dock? This is a sailing dingy, not a 12 meter. Just a little breeze and you have as good or better control than the engine. Even with our Venture 21, sails were up leaving the dock. With more confidence rely on the sails, they will get you outta most situations. PS, have sailed in Dana Point. Can remember as a kid when we hated the marina going in and destroying that great point break for surfing. Now we know why, we need even more marinas in SoCal.

Torqueedo

We also had a Torqeedo electric motor for our dinghy, and the "Error 22" started happening more frequently until it died completely. Research indicated that the motor and control circuit board are in the bottom of the leg, which is prone to water leakage, leading to destruction of the board.
I took ours apart, everything inside was water damaged, and the seal surfaces were pitted beyond repair. We ditched it, and bought an ePropulsion electric motor instead.
Just a heads up to watch out for.

Appreciate the heads up! Our setup is custom with the battery under the bow, shaft and propeller mounted on the side of the hull (when in use) and the throttle / controller are mounted to the side of the hull (inside) near the tiller. The Circuit Board is located inside the controller, so it never sees the water. Hard to understand why any electronics would be underwater.

John

Sails Up

Not trying to be critical, but why not have the sails up when leaving the dock? This is a sailing dingy, not a 12 meter. Just a little breeze and you have as good or better control than the engine. Even with our Venture 21, sails were up leaving the dock. With more confidence rely on the sails, they will get you outta most situations. PS, have sailed in Dana Point. Can remember as a kid when we hated the marina going in and destroying that great point break for surfing. Now we know why, we need even more marinas in SoCal.

Liley a good question for someone who knows how to sail. I still do not trust myself to have the sails up until I'm in open waters with little no traffic. Maybe after a year of practices but not now.

My first and only instructor session was out of Dana Point. We motored outside and lifted the sail for the first time. What a great feeling letting the wind carry us. We then sailed inside and down the channel tacking back and forth. When we reached the end and turned around the wind really caught us, the instructor navigated around all the boats and kayaks. No way I could do that even today. I need to stick with open waters with nothing to run into.

John

Back
Top Bottom