What would make you walk after survey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More pitch tries to move more water but may just increase slip if the speed through the water is too slow.

Rick is very busy these days with his own company and the exhaust emissions product he makes and sells to the mega-yacht folks.

Well I hope he hurries back. We could use a bit more skin thickening.

Rick is very busy these days with his own company and the exhaust emissions product he makes and sells to the mega-yacht folks.

Tell him Hi from me and I'll try and see him this winter.

Very impressive product too and while it might start in mega yachts it will find it's way down at some time.

Greetings,
Well to answer the original question "What would make you walk after a survey". If the broker poured a bucket of ice cubes down my pants, THAT would certainly end the negotiations.
Shocked.gif

Greetings,
Well to answer the original question "What would make you walk after a survey". If the broker poured a bucket of ice cubes down my pants, THAT would certainly end the negotiation

:rofl: wow ... Talk about a low threshold...

Dave

I think people that shop the bargain basement boats need to adjust their expectations accordingly. There is no free lunch.

I believe you nailed it Kevin, especially when the OP is concerned about the $25 to join boatdiesel.

Greetings,
Well to answer the original question "What would make you walk after a survey". If the broker poured a bucket of ice cubes down my pants, THAT would certainly end the negotiations.
[/IMG]

Ice cubes I could handle. Hot coffee would end the negotiations and unless he can run very fast might end more than that.

''''I've been to Boatdiesel.com but it appears that you have to pay money to join?''''

Yup, you do, $25.00. One of the best $25 you will spend even if you let it lapse the next year. If you spend a little time and read the Articles section and some of the threads you will learn a lot. Lots of worthwhile info.

You can also go Seaboard Marine and read a lot of info there. Posted courtesy of Tony Athens who has put up a huge amount of info for us ALL to make use of if you will avail yourself of it. Applicable , almost all of it, to ALL engines.

"Originally Posted by ksanders
I think people that shop the bargain basement boats need to adjust their expectations accordingly. There is no free lunch."

I believe you nailed it Kevin, especially when the OP is concerned about the $25 to join boatdiesel.

Interesting.
Since when is almost $190,000 for a 32' 10 year old boat a "bargain basement boat"?:confused:
You guys must roll with a different crowd than I do.
The truth is the PNW guys are awfully proud of their boats. And they price them accordingly. What's wrong with looking for the best price possible in a boat?
I'm not accustomed to paying more than I have to.....for anything. Are you?

I've never paid to join a forum. That's why I was asking. I'm not sure why you think I'm "concerned" about the $25.

I perused Tony Athens website. His shop is very close to where I live.

I think people that shop the bargain basement boats need to adjust their expectations accordingly. There is no free lunch."

Interesting.
Since when is almost $190,000 for a 32' 10 year old boat a "bargain basement boat"?:confused:
The truth is the PNW guys are awfully proud of their boats. And they price them accordingly. What's wrong with looking for the best price possible in a boat?

I've never paid to join a forum. That's why I was asking. I'm not sure why you think I'm "concerned" about the $25.

I do a lot of my own maintenance. The 25 buck i have spent there has saved me bunches of time and money. There are literally hundreds of members there that have the same 6bta as i do and who all work on their engines to some extent. It has become a great resource for me personally. I can safeley say that spending 25 dollars there paid for itself within the first few days of membership.
For the RPM issue, I think that everyone here has you covered pretty well. Im not sure if you mentioned the state of the fresh water tank, but 5 men and full fuel tanks is a pretty heavy boat. I'm also not sure if the genny was counted against the weight of that sea trial either.
I would also add that buying parts from them (seaboard marine) has saved me major headaches and hundreds of dollars on parts (vs local shops, west marine, etc). For example, I sent an email to seaboard on monday asking for a part. I only gave them the brand and serial number of the generator and I received an email later the same day that they had shipped it out to me. How's that for service?

Thank you Bligh.
I have no problems with the $25 bucks. When I get a boat, I'll definitely join.

I'm pretty lucky. I have a family in my practice where the father is an excellent marine diesel mechanic as is his 3 sons. One of the sons works for Tony.
In fact, I called the son and asked him about the generator problem. He gave me his insight, and I've adjusted my proposal accordingly.

I gave the father the engine serial numbers so he could run them and see if there was any warranty work done on the engine. It came back clean.

Thank you Bligh.
I have no problems with the $25 bucks. When I get a boat, I'll definitely join.

I'm pretty lucky. I have a family in my practice where the father is an excellent marine diesel mechanic as is his 3 sons. One of the sons works for Tony.
In fact, I called the son and asked him about the generator problem. He gave me his insight, and I've adjusted my proposal accordingly.

I gave the father the engine serial numbers so he could run them and see if there was any warranty work done on the engine. It came back clean.

I still don't understand why Fort Lauderdale then. There is a 2004 model in Anacortes for $199,000 and another for $229,000. A 2006 in San Francisco for $239,000. Have you looked at those, considered the shipping costs, discussed whether there was flexibility in the price?

As to bargain basement, you're the one who made it sound like this boat was well below the west coast market.

You're adjusting your proposal based on what someone on the west coast who has never seen it has said?

What does that tell you that there was no warranty work years ago? Is that good or bad?

I'll admit you're confusing me as not long ago you were walking away from it and now you're talking about a proposal. And to my knowledge you still have no idea what is wrong with it.

Boat Diesel was suggested to you for information to help with the buying decision and at first you objected to it charging $25. Now you say you will join if you get a boat.

Your instinct was uncomfortable with this boat. Has anything changed that. There was never anything concrete to say to turn away so I just figured it was instinct and, if so, that's fine.

I've posted confusing threads before so certainly understand but I really don't know your thoughts at this point nor what we've said that changed them.

Is failed WOT the same as not achieving specified full load RPM?
I ask because when I reviewed the engine survey the Cummings specified RPM of 2600 was not met. The boat was only able to reach 2500RPM at full throttle (measured at the flywheel with tachometer)
I'm curious what that means and if it's something to be concerned about.

I would not sweat 100 rpm short of max.

Interesting.

Joe

There are reasons why you had issues with this boat, and I'm trying to help you here because if you continue on this same track you'll have issues with any used boat you try to buy.

First issue... is that you are making offers based on photos and broker comments. You are buying sight unseen.That is a real problem. You need real unbiased eyes on the boat. You need to either go see the boat yourself, or you need to hire someone to go look at it for you, prior to making a offer. Hint, you can hire a surveyor to "look over" a prospective boat for a couple hundred.

Second issue... Once you've spent good money on a survey, you are using that survey as a pass/fail tool when in reality the survey is a snapshot of the boat good and bad. Nothing on a boat is unfixable but you choose to not even try. This means you are throwing your survey money away. I believe that part of this issue points right back to the first issue. You arrive on a boat you've never seen before and you are disappointed at first sight. You use the survey as a confirmation of your disappointment and you walk.

You will learn that seeing with your own eyes, or having someone you pay photograph what they dont like about a particular boat will allow you to buy a boat that you'll be initially happy with. Then you will tend to negotiate on survey issues.

Last edited:
He went to the boat. It was a typical hot as hell, humid day and the air conditioning wasn't working. That alone is enough to walk away. It's just endemic of what else might not be properly prepared.
This whole thing is like airing dirty laundry in public-too many people making wild speculations of what they think they see. His money, his sweat, his prerogative.

This whole thing is like airing dirty laundry in public-too many people making wild speculations of what they think they see. His money, his sweat, his prerogative.

Must keep in mind that he was the one who chose to air it in public and to ask for other's opinions. This wasn't a case of him mentioning something and others jumping on. The thread title is "What would make you walk after survey?"

I still don't understand why Fort Lauderdale then. There is a 2004 model in Anacortes for $199,000 and another for $229,000. A 2006 in San Francisco for $239,000. Have you looked at those, considered the shipping costs, discussed whether there was flexibility in the price?

As to bargain basement, you're the one who made it sound like this boat was well below the west coast market.

You're adjusting your proposal based on what someone on the west coast who has never seen it has said?

What does that tell you that there was no warranty work years ago? Is that good or bad?

I'll admit you're confusing me as not long ago you were walking away from it and now you're talking about a proposal. And to my knowledge you still have no idea what is wrong with it.

Boat Diesel was suggested to you for information to help with the buying decision and at first you objected to it charging $25. Now you say you will join if you get a boat.

Your instinct was uncomfortable with this boat. Has anything changed that. There was never anything concrete to say to turn away so I just figured it was instinct and, if so, that's fine.

I've posted confusing threads before so certainly understand but I really don't know your thoughts at this point nor what we've said that changed them.

I've looked at every NT on YW.....3 times. Most of the PNW boats don't have a generator. That was one of my main requirements. Maybe I'll re calibrate my requirements. I'd like a generator though.
The other thing driving what boat I'm looking at is what options came on the boat. You can call NT and get the build sheet on whatever boat you are looking at. It tells what options came on the boat.
I'd like SS portholes vs the black plastic ones, I'd like upgraded electronics. I want low hours. I don't want a pullman style berth. I want the ivory powder coated windows and doors. Not the black framed ones.
With kids, I have to have a transom hot water shower to hose them off.
I also don't want a "cut-up" boat. I want a boat that has minimal penetrations thru the sundeck or pilot house roof.

The 2004 model you mentioned is a clean, low hour boat. But no gennie, no transom shower, and no SS portholes. I didnt like the boom they installed on the sundeck roof.

The offer they accepted in Florida was/is below most prices on the West coast and nationwide.
I was able to gain access to soldboats.com and the average sold price of 2004 NT 32 for the last 2 years was approx. $190ish. I know some of you don't think the info is accurate on SB.com but it was good info to have when researching boats. These boats appeared to depreciate approximately 10K a year. If you know they are going to depreciate, why not shop around for the best price possible, as long as the boat meets your criteria?

I received some great advice thru a PM from Pilothouse King regarding a counter proposal. After speaking to my patient who works at Tony Athens shop and a buddy of mine who has a NT32, I submitted a counter offer based on the survey findings. If they take it, great. If not, I'll not lose sleep over it.

I'd say if the Cummings has no warranty work done, to me, that's a good thing.

As far as what's wrong with the boat, the generator started, ran for a few minutes, then died. I'm taking a chance on it being something major, but my counter price reflects this.
I know what a new AC unit costs. My counter reflects a price allowance for a new one.

Where did you see me object to the $25 for boat diesel.com?
I simply asked if you have to pay.

Lastly, If you read some of my posts. I said I loved the boat, but what made me walk away was the credibility issue I had with the broker. plus some other things indirectly related to the boat.
I spoke to the broker yesterday and he apologized profusely for how the survey went down. Unsolicited, he explained some of the things I had questions about in my mind. He offered to pay for another surveyor of my choosing to confirm any work done if the deal goes thru. He offered to pay for a few other things, that really didn't bother me. Ha also said he was embarrassed that the AC and generator didn't work as he ran the boat 2 days earlier and everything worked fine.
As I said earlier, he's a good man, and I appreciated his candidness.

I've looked at every NT on YW.....3 times. Most of the PNW boats don't have a generator. That was one of my main requirements. Maybe I'll re calibrate my requirements. I'd like a generator though.
The other thing driving what boat I'm looking at is what options came on the boat. You can call NT and get the build sheet on whatever boat you are looking at. It tells what options came on the boat.
I'd like SS portholes vs the black plastic ones, I'd like upgraded electronics. I want low hours. I don't want a pullman style berth. I want the ivory powder coated windows and doors. Not the black framed ones.
I also don't want a "cut-up" boat. I want a boat that has minimal penetrations thru the sundeck or pilot house roof.

The 2004 model you mentioned is a clean, low hour boat. But no gennie, no transom shower, and no SS portholes. I didnt like the boom they installed on the sundeck roof.

The offer they accepted in Florida was/is below most prices on the West coast and nationwide.
I was able to gain access to soldboats.com and the average sold price of 2004 NT 32 for the last 2 years was approx. $190ish. I know some of you don't think the info is accurate on SB.com but it was good info to have when researching boats. These boats appeared to depreciate approximately 10K a year. If you know they are going to depreciate, why not shop around for the best price possible, as long as the boat meets your criteria?

I received some great advice thru a PM from Pilothouse King regarding a counter proposal. After speaking to my patient who works at Tony Athens shop and a buddy of mine who has a NT32, I submitted a counter offer based on the survey findings. If they take it, great. If not, I'll not lose sleep over it.

I'd say if the Cummings has no warranty work done, to me, that's a good thing.

As far as what's wrong with the boat, the generator started, ran for a few minutes, then died. I'm taking a chance on it being something major, but my counter price reflects this.
I know what a new AC unit costs. My counter reflects a price allowance for a new one.

Where did you see me object to the $25 for boat diesel.com?
I simply asked if you have to pay.

Lastly, If you read some of my posts. I said I loved the boat, but what made me walk away was the credibility issue I had with the broker. plus some other things indirectly related to the boat.
I spoke to the broker yesterday and he apologized profusely for how the survey went down. Unsolicited, he explained some of the things I had questions about in my mind. He offered to pay for another surveyor of my choosing to confirm any work done if the deal goes thru. He offered to pay for a few other things, that really didn't bother me. Ha also said he was embarrassed that the AC and generator didn't work as he ran the boat 2 days earlier and everything worked fine.
As I said earlier, he's a good man, and I appreciated his candidness.

Maybe you're getting a bit more on target then. I think you expected in some ways too much of each of the boats you looked at. They're ten years old and have some flaws. Some will not have features others have. Generator not working or not having one is easily remedied for a price. Some of the other things might be as well. In one of the PNW boats if it was really clean and in good condition, you might have just said, it's going to cost me x for this and y for this so this amount is all I can offer.

I don't know the nature of the offer you're making now. Seems hard when you don't know the problems. How did everything else check out? How was the sea trial? Not just the rpm, how did you like the way it rode and handled? How was the oil analysis? Did the hull check out well, no water anywhere, no other problems? To me, engines and hull are the most likely deal breakers. Other things are broke and can be fixed and it's a matter of figuring out who fixes them and what it costs. On a boat like that I would anticipate 10%, $20,000, needing to be spent just as a general rule. Even those that are "pristine" are often found not to be quite so. First storm you find water your berth. Two weeks later you find a lot of sludge in a fuel tank.

I hope the boat works out for you and you enjoy it. It's tough when we build up long distance expectations and then we arrive and they're not met.

Wifey B: It's like finding your perfect match on harmony.com and flying across the country only to find out the photo is 40 pounds and 5 years ago. Your temptation is just to say "Bye" and get on the next plane back home.

But then you decide you're there so at least go through with the date. You find over dinner she is everything you thought she was and she's embarrassed over the picture thing, asks you to forgive her, even says maybe this is the kick she needs to lose. The more time you're with her the more you realize she's so beautiful and what hit you at first just doesn't matter to you anymore. Then you get married and live happily ever after.

Just don't get your boat pregnant.

Joe

There are reasons why you had issues with this boat, and I'm trying to help you here because if you continue on this same track you'll have issues with any used boat you try to buy.

First issue... is that you are making offers based on photos and broker comments. You are buying sight unseen.That is a real problem. You need real unbiased eyes on the boat. You need to either go see the boat yourself, or you need to hire someone to go look at it for you, prior to making a offer. Hint, you can hire a surveyor to "look over" a prospective boat for a couple hundred.

Second issue... Once you've spent good money on a survey, you are using that survey as a pass/fail tool when in reality the survey is a snapshot of the boat good and bad. Nothing on a boat is unfixable but you choose to not even try. This means you are throwing your survey money away. I believe that part of this issue points right back to the first issue. You arrive on a boat you've never seen before and you are disappointed at first sight. You use the survey as a confirmation of your disappointment and you walk.

You will learn that seeing with your own eyes, or having someone you pay photograph what they dont like about a particular boat will allow you to buy a boat that you'll be initially happy with. Then you will tend to negotiate on survey issues.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Point taken about making an offer based on pictures and what the broker is telling me. But in fairness, he did send me approx. 100 pictures of the whole boat.

This was my first use of a surveyor, and the important thing I learned is what I think is a deal breaker may differ with what the surveyor thinks is a deal breaker. I'd much rather look at it myself, in person.

That's a good way of looking at things in regards to the survey; a snapshot good and bad.
I don't really feel like the survey was wasted money though. I learned alot about the boats, I learned that all surveyors are not created equal, and now, If I go look at any other boats, I'll have an idea on how to go about evaluating the boat.
I'll also be sure and personally speak to the surveyor and ask him what the survey involves and what he looks for, and if he's familiar with the NTs.

Your wrong about arriving at the boat and being disappointed. I was actually suprised at the great condition of the boat. I expected the gel coat to be cooked from the south florida sun. The boat looked new. The boat exceeded my expectations condition/wear wise and cosmetically.

I did start to get cold feet and probably threw in the towel too soon. Chalk it up to inexperience.
It was weird though, when things didn't work, nobody wanted to talk about it. I expected the broker to say "hey Joe, I know your dissapointed that things didn't work proper. What can we do to make you comfortable and make this deal happen?"
The broker gave me a tour of FT Lauderdale after the survey and I must have brought up the boat 3 times with no reply from him.
I must have asked the diesel surveyor 3 times " hey, what's up with the generator?"
I also was concerned about my deposit and being rushed to make a decision on the boat. The contract clearly stated I had to reject/accept the boat by a certain date in writing. And the broker was crystal clear about meeting deadlines on the contract.

I want to thank everyone who offered advice and suggestions.:thumb:
This is a great forum, and I'll be sure and let everyone know what happens.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Maybe you're getting a bit more on target then. I think you expected in some ways too much of each of the boats you looked at. They're ten years old and have some flaws. Some will not have features others have. Generator not working or not having one is easily remedied for a price. Some of the other things might be as well. In one of the PNW boats if it was really clean and in good condition, you might have just said, it's going to cost me x for this and y for this so this amount is all I can offer.

I don't know the nature of the offer you're making now. Seems hard when you don't know the problems. How did everything else check out? How was the sea trial? Not just the rpm, how did you like the way it rode and handled? How was the oil analysis? Did the hull check out well, no water anywhere, no other problems? To me, engines and hull are the most likely deal breakers. Other things are broke and can be fixed and it's a matter of figuring out who fixes them and what it costs. On a boat like that I would anticipate 10%, $20,000, needing to be spent just as a general rule. Even those that are "pristine" are often found not to be quite so. First storm you find water your berth. Two weeks later you find a lot of sludge in a fuel tank.

I hope the boat works out for you and you enjoy it. It's tough when we build up long distance expectations and then we arrive and they're not met.

Wifey B: It's like finding your perfect match on harmony.com and flying across the country only to find out the photo is 40 pounds and 5 years ago. Your temptation is just to say "Bye" and get on the next plane back home.

But then you decide you're there so at least go through with the date. You find over dinner she is everything you thought she was and she's embarrassed over the picture thing, asks you to forgive her, even says maybe this is the kick she needs to lose. The more time you're with her the more you realize she's so beautiful and what hit you at first just doesn't matter to you anymore. Then you get married and live happily ever after.

Just don't get your boat pregnant.

Thank you BandB.

Really, other than the Gen and AC, the boat was really clean and checked out well.

The last part of your post really made me laugh!

I think adding a genset afterwards -- especially given info on their own installs from the manufacturer -- isn't all that big a deal, if there's room to cram it into the builder's designated space without cutting the decks.

Replacing portlight frames, another no big deal I think.

Transom shower, probably easy.

Electronics will be obsolete anyway, if they're older than yesterday. If usable, you could take your time selecting a suite of replacements.

And so forth.

Offer price takes all that into account from the git-go. Modify downward, if surveys dictate.

We shopped on this boat (model) all over the east coast. We needed an electric windlass and a swim platform, and I wanted 450s vs. 370s. Had to be 2002 or newer (due to some changes after the earliest model years).

Turns out, it was easier and less expensive to buy the one 15 miles away that came on the market sometime during our search, even though we had to add the windlass and swim platform ourselves. Not hard.

The enclosure was on it's last legs, as was outdoor carpeting; we replaced. Our offer took all that into account.

From the marine survey, we learned (and saw for ourselves, anyway) the engine room needed some TLC. From the mechanical survey, we learned the mains were due for valve adjustments and aftercooler/turbo service, yaddy yaddy yadda. Subsequent negotiation ensued.

We got a boat. Had all the engine work done, and had the aforementioned windlass and swim platform installed, using money we didn't spend on the purchase or on long-distance transport. Took us 40 minutes to drive the boat from that marina to our slip.

We used the obsolete electronics for a about three years, while I studied the problem. Then we did a major refit, knowing exactly what we wanted.

-Chris

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Point taken about making an offer based on pictures and what the broker is telling me. But in fairness, he did send me approx. 100 pictures of the whole boat.

This was my first use of a surveyor, and the important thing I learned is what I think is a deal breaker may differ with what the surveyor thinks is a deal breaker. I'd much rather look at it myself, in person.

That's a good way of looking at things in regards to the survey; a snapshot good and bad.
I don't really feel like the survey was wasted money though. I learned alot about the boats, I learned that all surveyors are not created equal, and now, If I go look at any other boats, I'll have an idea on how to go about evaluating the boat.
I'll also be sure and personally speak to the surveyor and ask him what the survey involves and what he looks for, and if he's familiar with the NTs.

Your wrong about arriving at the boat and being disappointed. I was actually suprised at the great condition of the boat. I expected the gel coat to be cooked from the south florida sun. The boat looked new. The boat exceeded my expectations condition/wear wise and cosmetically.

I did start to get cold feet and probably threw in the towel too soon. Chalk it up to inexperience.
It was weird though, when things didn't work, nobody wanted to talk about it. I expected the broker to say "hey Joe, I know your dissapointed that things didn't work proper. What can we do to make you comfortable and make this deal happen?"
The broker gave me a tour of FT Lauderdale after the survey and I must have brought up the boat 3 times with no reply from him.
I must have asked the diesel surveyor 3 times " hey, what's up with the generator?"
I also was concerned about my deposit and being rushed to make a decision on the boat. The contract clearly stated I had to reject/accept the boat by a certain date in writing. And the broker was crystal clear about meeting deadlines on the contract.

I want to thank everyone who offered advice and suggestions.:thumb:
This is a great forum, and I'll be sure and let everyone know what happens.

Thanks!

Joe, the good thing is that you are learning. Thats invaluable!

Let me tell you a story...

In 2003 we made an offer on a 3488 Bayliner. I hired Cummins Northwest to do a mechanical survey, which we scheduled along with the sea trial.

With the two factory rep technicians on board they were working the boat hard with their gauges hooked to the engines, when all the sudden the starboard engine overheats and is blown. High blow by. Engine was toast.

My wife basically said, well thats it, well look for another boat.

I said, no lets get a new engine out of this.

And we did. We closed on that boat a month later with a brand new reman engine.

I will say that in the end, I did not like that boat. It was impossible to maintain the engines due to the cramped spaces. My mistake. I sold the boat three years later, glad to be done with it.

That was part of our learning curve.

The NT you looked at was part of your learning curve. You'll get the process figured out, and have plenty of adventures, (and some challenges) in your new boat.

The tough part will be the ivory port frames. They are rare. Might want to find out from NT how many of those were built.

Back
Top Bottom