What is Warp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
Would someone tell me what "warp" is with an anchor rode? Seems like there's more than one definition....thx!

To "Warp" means to move.... so a "warp" is any line to move a vessel....whether attached to an anchor (called a kedge wen hauling on it to move a vessel) or any other fixed object.

Last edited:
Warp is the cable used to tow trawls, bottom or mid-water. I’ve not seen it used before with anchor tackle, but would presume it would be similar to rode.

Jim

It is when they go really fast on Star Trek…

It was a cheap and easy thing, that is what I can do…

I've seen warp used to refer to the line portion of rode when it's not all chain.

That and to use a line to move the boat. Like to get in/out of a tight slip using a line attached to a piling, dock cleat, etc. As opposed to, say, depending on just propeller action for a maneuver.

From my Century Encyclopedic Dictionary (1888):
8. Naut., to move into some desired place or position by hauling on a rope or warp which has been fastened to something fixed, as a bouy, anchor, or other ship at or near that place or position: as, to warp a ship into harbor or to her berth.
"Seeing them warp themselves to windward, we thought it not good to be boorded on both sides on an anchor."
Quoted in Capt. John Smith's Works @ 1624.

Surely an adjective qualifying velocity of vaccination for the virus of your choice.

Anchor line more commonly called rode nowadays.
Also pot warp meaning the line attached to lobster pots, common in NE.

If you move a boat with a warp, is it warped? As a wood worker that disturbs me.

Would someone tell me what "warp" is with an anchor rode? Seems like there's more than one definition....thx!

From the old English word wearpen with the same meaning.

To move a vessel at a pier or dock by the use of lines, also to move a vessel by kedging.

From the old English word wearpen with the same meaning.

To move a vessel at a pier or dock by the use of lines, also to move a vessel by kedging.

That was what I thought it meant, but see it used in other context, thought I'd ask. Still a bit confusing, but close enough. At first thought it was a verb, but can be both a verb and a noun.

From my experience...

Using your anchor to unground your boat is called kedging, the anchor is the kedge and your rode is a warp.

A pot line is also called a warp because it is used to haul the trap.

A warping drum is used to "warp" a vessels via docklines now called warps.

Any line used on a vessel usually can be called a warp when used to move something...as mentioned in post 2 and 9.

And then there’s weave. As in the warp and weave of fabrics of sails or other things.

It is when they go really fast on Star Trek…

Groan! Keep your day job.

In the sailboat world, one way to overcome dead steering is to tow warps - long streams of line - to provide drag on one side or another (in addition to how you tune the sail, to have neutral, weather, or lee helm).

The other is to tow multiple of them, to slow the boat down and to keep the stern to the weather (and waves) to assist not purling the nose during downwind surfing due to heavy winds (usually under bare poles)...

Here's a good discussion:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f90/trailing-warps-199772.html

Most useful application of a warp on an anchor rode is in a situation where the boat is laying to the wind and the waves or swells are coming from a different direction, causing a boat to roll at anchor. This can happen when you are anchored in the lee of a point and swells wrap around the point and hit you at an angle. You can use a line(warp) attached to the anchor rode a distance from the bow and lead it to the stern to pull the boat aroung to face into the waves/swells to make the boat pitch rather than roll.

We used to call the lines for our lobster pot “lobster pot warp”. So thats one use for sure. Actually was stated as warp in the catalogue we purchased from

Just checked. Still call it “Pot Warp”

Attachments

• 9C9059F7-8826-43A2-B215-EA133E0E7677.jpg
    9C9059F7-8826-43A2-B215-EA133E0E7677.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 21
With crab pots, we just call it crab pot line. Kind of odd because it is possible to get a crab pot so full that, rather than pulling the pot to the boat, you pull the boat to the pot, i.e., warping the boat.

Attachments

• Full pot.jpg
    Full pot.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 16
With crab pots, we just call it crab pot line. Kind of odd because it is possible to get a crab pot so full that, rather than pulling the pot to the boat, you pull the boat to the pot, i.e., warping the boat.

Ha! Thats perfect, lmao.

I never really called it warp, but my pop did etc…. I just remembered when I heard this thread. Surprised they still use it. Might be a new england thing

On the UMR we teach Kedging as a method to move a, dead in the water, boat out of the channel to avoid collision with tow boats. Repetitively throwing and hauling your anchor 90deg to the channel warping the boat out of harm’s way.

An example of warping: in several instances, I put a vessel in which we were voyaging, into a very tight end tie or wharf. Also when a heavy beam wind is pushing onto a dock, we would set a 12# or 22#, off the beam--in some cases we would drop the anchor as we were moving into the dock, others we used the dinghy to take the anchor out.

We would then warp the boat off the dock (sailboat having cockpit winches, or power boat using a capstan and blocks fair lead to the anchor windlass, with capstan.)

It is a neat trick to move the boat out of a very tight spot.

When designing deep sea docks for loading ships from a fixed point, eg, a fixed conveyor belt that could not itself move to reach all the hatches, it requires that we design the moorings to allow the ships to be warped for reaching all the hatches. This involves pulling on its mooring lines and anchor lines with winches.

I designed and constructed an open sea berth for a copper mine in Chile that required warping. The vessel was moored to a spread mooring system of 5 buoys with permanent anchors drilled and grouted to the rocky sea bed. In addition the vessel also dropped its ship’s anchor off the berth as a 6th mooring point. When unberthing it would release all the buoy lines and then haul in the anchor line to pull the bow off the berth face.

We had two berthing dolphins to also protect the wharf head that supported the fixed ship loader (it could slew and luff to cover only a single hatch). The vessel would warp itself to put each of the hatches under the shiploading conveyor.

This arrangement also allowed the vessel to stand off from the dock face fenders and move in the deep ocean swell in that location. Works great and has now been operating for 30 years!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom