What trawler should I look at?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally Posted by Trawlerdream View Post
“Yep you are absolutely right. That I should have figured out myself

So I think I rather go smaller and loose a knot or two.

The key thing is to have a second cabin for guests. Are there any trawlers under 36 feet with two cabins?”

A CHB 34 gives what you asked with less length.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983/chb-34-tri-cabin-3652306/

Interesting, the ad states that the minimum draft is 5 foot, 3 inches . .:eek: . on a 34' CHB?!? Seems pretty deep to me. If it is a misprint, that brings everything else in the ad into question as well . . .

Interesting, the ad states that the minimum draft is 5 foot, 3 inches . .:eek: . on a 34' CHB?!? Seems pretty deep to me. If it is a misprint, that brings everything else in the ad into question as well . . .

Indeed, that is insane. Likewise top speed could be 45 knots, ;) at .7 gph!

The 34 Californian LRC with galley up has 2 staterooms and one head with separate shower. It's LOA is ~37' but its model is 34 (its deck length).

Good eye, catching that bad reported boat add.
I should have proofed it before posting.

34’ CHB is actually reported with a 3’ 2” draft.

Last edited:
You'd be better off requesting suggestions for what wife to chose, at least there the equipment if not the performance is somewhat standardized.

The specs of a 34' CHB are pretty well known. They are the most popular trawler type yacht on the planet. If by popular you mean number sold.

The published draft of 3' 2" may be correct for an unloaded boat. When loaded to the gills for a summer cruise they are substantially deeper. I'm never happy when less than 6' is showing on the depth finders. I've left plenty of bottom paint on the bottom of the channel in Barnegat Bay. (Where Marine Traders are born)

“Yep you are absolutely right. That I should have figured out myself

So I think I rather go smaller and loose a knot or two.

The key thing is to have a second cabin for guests. Are there any trawlers under 36 feet with two cabins?”

A Bayliner 3288 has two true staterooms in a 32 foot package. Twin diesels up to 150 hp, decent lower helm and flybridge. Get the 110 hp version and you’ll travel at true trawler speeds[emoji15]

James

A Bayliner 3288 has two true staterooms in a 32 foot package. Twin diesels up to 150 hp, decent lower helm and flybridge. Get the 110 hp version and you’ll travel at true trawler speeds[emoji15]

James

No separate shower compartment.

No separate shower compartment.

True, it’s in the same space but not a wet head where you shower in front of the toilet and sink. The shower is a stall aft of the toilet sink space with a curtain separating the space.
Have to move up to the 38 for two heads, two staterooms and a separate tub/shower[emoji846]

James

True, it’s in the same space but not a wet head where you shower in front of the toilet and sink. The shower is a stall aft of the toilet sink space with a curtain separating the space.
Have to move up to the 38 for two heads, two staterooms and a separate tub/shower[emoji846]

James

Yes, the 38 is with the accommodations. Also has 16-18 knot capability in a soft chined hull. And only 2 GPH, (if boat is run on one engine, below hull speed.)
Yes, the transmission design can handle the prop shaft freewheeling. I ran this boat over a year to prove this out.

You'd be better off requesting suggestions for what wife to chose, at least there the equipment if not the performance is somewhat standardized.

That is to late. She is is already onboard.
Most of the time we travel in typical trawler speed. Occasionally we get in to turbo mode for short moments.

That is to late. She is is already onboard.
Most of the time we travel in typical trawler speed. Occasionally we get in to turbo mode for short moments?

trawler

Hi guys. I’m considering buying an trawler. The problem is I do not know anything about trawlers. Have been spending the last 50 years in sailboats.

Here is my needs:

Single screw trawler capable of doing 8-9 knots.

Comfortable for two people with opportunity to offer two guests a separate cabin for shorter visits.

No teakdeck

As I enjoy working on boats as much as actually using them a projekt boat could be of interest.

My budget is up to 150.000 USD.

What models should I be looking at?

You originally stated that you needed two separate staterooms and 8kts. You seem to have changed your mind and are willing to go a little slower and have a 32' boat. If you are leaning in that direction, you might consider a Camano Troll 30. Nice looking boat, no teak, will cruise at 15kts if you need it and a late model boat can be had for 100k. If and when my GB 36 is to big and we are going to downsize, the Camano Troll is way up there on the list.

Have you considered a 34 or 38 Californian? A bit older than some you're considering and normally twins but they're a good stout boat for the money if the engines are well cared for. If you have 200+hp twins, 12-16 Kts is a feasible high cruise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom