Old 02-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #81
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
Not familiar with that one. Does it have two heads?
Yes
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...cabin-3581750/
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:52 PM   #82
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Interesting. I looked at the website you provided. Stopped reading when I saw "Twin 270 Crusaders".
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #83
Guru

Quote:
Interesting. I looked at the website you provided. Stopped reading when I saw "Twin 270 Crusaders".
The question was are there any tri cabins under 36
Old 02-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #84

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
Real Trawler? Wanabee Trawler?

I'm a little confused by Wanabee vs Real. Do you mean blue water capable vs coastal?

But back to the original question of the sailor who wants to come over to the dark side. Welcome, you won't regret your decision. I had a sail boat years ago and getting a trawler was like coming up for air.

The trawler I have is a 41' Marine Trader that is powered by a single Ford Lehman natrually aspirated engine. This is probably what your looking for. It does your 8 knots and burns very little fuel. Its 2 foot keel, (measured at the skeg) assists in making the boat track very well with the auto pilot.

As for a project boat. Any 40 year old Tawainese trawler is a project boat. The maintenance never ends. You can mitigate the maintenance by getting rid of all the teak, but the systems, plumbing, heating , electronics, electrical, propane will keep you busy year round. I suggest 40 feet with as wide as beam as you can find to give you that space. And a flybridge to keep you out doors.
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #85
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
First off, Welcome to the Dark Side!

It sounds like you will be spending a lot of time on your boat and putting lot of miles under the keel. Go with a quality boat between 35 and 40. Closer to 40 would be best. Don't really look at age. There are some fantastic older Hatties and Bertrams out there. Definitely single engine, also approve of your dislike for teak. By going with a slightly older boat you will get an older engine, read "Less technology, easy to maintain yourself".

By the way..(and I really don't want to "tick" off anyone but here goes) Mainship are nice boats, but they are not GREAT, Not really built to last. They are more alone the lines of Bayliner, somewhere in the middle.

pete
Funny you should say that Mainships are not really built to last. I think if you were to do a pole on Trawler Forum you would find there are more 40 year old mainships on this site than any other brand. That said, in one area you are correct in that they were built to be economical in original cost, maintenance and operation.
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:54 PM   #86
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamdouglass View Post
I'm a little confused by Wanabee vs Real. Do you mean blue water capable vs coastal?

But back to the original question of the sailor who wants to come over to the dark side. Welcome, you won't regret your decision. I had a sail boat years ago and getting a trawler was like coming up for air.

The trawler I have is a 41' Marine Trader that is powered by a single Ford Lehman natrually aspirated engine. This is probably what your looking for. It does your 8 knots and burns very little fuel. Its 2 foot keel, (measured at the skeg) assists in making the boat track very well with the auto pilot.

As for a project boat. Any 40 year old Tawainese trawler is a project boat. The maintenance never ends. You can mitigate the maintenance by getting rid of all the teak, but the systems, plumbing, heating , electronics, electrical, propane will keep you busy year round. I suggest 40 feet with as wide as beam as you can find to give you that space. And a flybridge to keep you out doors.
Any 40 year old boat is a project boat. Doesn't matter what make. For that matter, a 2020 boat is a project boat. Just different projects.

There are two philosophies: Buy a 1980 boat for 60k and put 60k into it or buy a 1990 boat for 120k. There are no "good deals". You are going to pay one way or the other. Just decide which school of thought fits you better. Of course there are the guys that can buy a derelict and make it Bristol but that's not most of us. If you are that guy, there are good deals out there.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #87
Guru

Quote:

There are two philosophies: Buy a 1980 boat for 60k and put 60k into it or buy a 1990 boat for 120k. There are no "good deals". You are going to pay one way or the other. Just decide which school of thought fits you better. Of course there are the guys that can buy a derelict and make it Bristol but that's not most of us. If you are that guy, there are good deals out there.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #88
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
If I accidentally bought a big time project boat, I have 2 craftsman I could turn the boat over to, walk away and wait for their call. Of course, I would have to sell all my internal organs.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:03 PM   #89

City: Offshore
Originally Posted by Trawlerdream View Post
“Yep you are absolutely right. That I should have figured out myself

So I think I rather go smaller and loose a knot or two.

The key thing is to have a second cabin for guests. Are there any trawlers under 36 feet with two cabins?”

A CHB 34 gives what you asked with less length.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...cabin-3652306/
Old 02-18-2020, 12:07 AM   #90
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickair View Post

Agreed, we had one for nine years before we bought the IG36'. They offer a lot of room, and two sleeping cabins.

In short a lot of boat for the money. No bluewater sailor to be sure, but not too bad if you pick your passage times.

Though they do have Teak decks. IMHO, if you can find a boat with Teak decks that have been 'done' that is , new teak decks glued not screwed you have the best of both worlds. Teak underfoot on a boat is pretty much unbeatable.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:42 AM   #91
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:

The key thing is to have a second cabin for guests. Are there any trawlers under 36 feet with two cabins?”

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...cabin-3652306/

Interesting, the ad states that the minimum draft is 5 foot, 3 inches . . . on a 34' CHB?!? Seems pretty deep to me. If it is a misprint, that brings everything else in the ad into question as well . . .
slowgoesit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #92

City: Millport
Vessel Name: Alchemy
Vessel Model: Albin 40 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
Interesting, the ad states that the minimum draft is 5 foot, 3 inches . . . on a 34' CHB?!? Seems pretty deep to me. If it is a misprint, that brings everything else in the ad into question as well . . .
Indeed, that is insane. Likewise top speed could be 45 knots, at .7 gph!
Zoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:57 AM   #93
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
The 34 Californian LRC with galley up has 2 staterooms and one head with separate shower. It's LOA is ~37' but its model is 34 (its deck length).

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
Good eye, catching that bad reported boat add.
I should have proofed it before posting.

34’ CHB is actually reported with a 3’ 2” draft.
Nickair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #95
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
You'd be better off requesting suggestions for what wife to chose, at least there the equipment if not the performance is somewhat standardized.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:35 PM   #96
Guru

City: Trenton
The specs of a 34' CHB are pretty well known. They are the most popular trawler type yacht on the planet. If by popular you mean number sold.

The published draft of 3' 2" may be correct for an unloaded boat. When loaded to the gills for a summer cruise they are substantially deeper. I'm never happy when less than 6' is showing on the depth finders. I've left plenty of bottom paint on the bottom of the channel in Barnegat Bay. (Where Marine Traders are born)
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:14 PM   #97

City: N/A
Vessel Name: Late Harvest
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
[QUOTE=Nickair;848167]Originally Posted by Trawlerdream View Post

A Bayliner 3288 has two true staterooms in a 32 foot package. Twin diesels up to 150 hp, decent lower helm and flybridge. Get the 110 hp version and you’ll travel at true trawler speeds[emoji15]

James
MacPhid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:16 PM   #98
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
[QUOTE=MacPhid;848728]
Quote:

A Bayliner 3288 has two true staterooms in a 32 foot package. Twin diesels up to 150 hp, decent lower helm and flybridge. Get the 110 hp version and you’ll travel at true trawler speeds[emoji15]

James
No separate shower compartment.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #99

City: N/A
Vessel Name: Late Harvest
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
[QUOTE=syjos;848730]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPhid View Post

No separate shower compartment.

True, it’s in the same space but not a wet head where you shower in front of the toilet and sink. The shower is a stall aft of the toilet sink space with a curtain separating the space.
Have to move up to the 38 for two heads, two staterooms and a separate tub/shower[emoji846]

James
MacPhid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:38 PM   #100

[QUOTE=MacPhid;848740]
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
True, it’s in the same space but not a wet head where you shower in front of the toilet and sink. The shower is a stall aft of the toilet sink space with a curtain separating the space.
Have to move up to the 38 for two heads, two staterooms and a separate tub/shower[emoji846]

James

Yes, the 38 is with the accommodations. Also has 16-18 knot capability in a soft chined hull. And only 2 GPH, (if boat is run on one engine, below hull speed.)
Yes, the transmission design can handle the prop shaft freewheeling. I ran this boat over a year to prove this out.
Nickair is offline   Reply With Quote