What trawler should I look at?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HW, we have a 380HP Turbo with common rail for our 45 ft. full keel boat. I cruise her around 6Kn, 95% of the time at about 2 gph. For our application, and many other folks with newer engines, we have the same fuel burn rates as our normally aspirated friends with similar size boat designs.

Last edited:
[Willard 40] External teak!!! :banghead:

Teak caprails, but no teak decks. But I agree with you - zero is better. I'm having the caprails on my Willard 36 encapsulated in fiberglass and will then be sprayed with AlexSeal LPU I've had it with brightwork.

Its not the mechanics of the turbo charged engine that leads to more fuel use. Its the operator. If you have extra HP available, its a rare bird that does not use it. How many TC powered boats overtake me at my 6.8 knots? Hundreds. That includes other Monk 36's with Cummins 5.9BTs. Their "sweet spot" is a full knot faster but at 3.0-3.5 GPH. So 2 MPG for Cummins vs 3 MPG for NA.

FWIW, our Nordic Tug 37 cruises at 7-7.25 knots, burning a bit less than 2 gph. Average fuel economy is 3.63 nmpg over the past four summers and 16,000 nm. Turbocharged 330hp Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M3. And I have not tried to subtract out the fuel used by the genset and diesel heater.

I have sent a dozen people to read this Boat Search 101 Thread recommended by Mr. RTF above.

Whether you are an old salt or a novice, this thread is simply awesome. It will really help you focus on the features you want in your next boat, so that you can find your next compromise, um, I mean next boat.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Seems a Nordic Tugs 32 would fill the bill. PNW boat through and through. Lots of them in TW at/near your price point.

As Baker said the Mainship 350/390 or 400 would fit your bill. Both are two stateroom boats, mostly single engines, no external teak. A lot of boat for the money. Even though Mainships say trawler right on the boat, the purists among us would say they are not as they are not full displacement boats. If you are familiar with the Cherubini line of blue water sailboats, John Cherubini designed the hulls on the Mainship 34 I II & III from the late 70's through the mid 80's (these are single stateroom boats) also the Mainship 36 & 40 Nantuckets (aft cabin trawlers) and the 350/390. I keep my boat next to the Cherubini factory and they use our marina to launch their boats.
John

All good suggestions. I was thinking of the 37 Nordic Tug as a good fit for the OP.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m in the process putting a shortlist together.

I did find one boat that have (in my eyes) really beautiful lines.

Sea Gipsy 32.

If there is anyone having something good or bad let me hear.

Let's recap some of what has been said and the group's wise responses:

The OP wants to cruise at 8-9 kts. If the boat has a displacement hull (and few are) then the boat needs to be at least 40' long. Most newish trawlers can do 8-9 kts even if smaller, if they have at least 200 hp and a semi-displacement hull, but will burn more fuel.

The OP wants a separate cabin for guests. That rules out most 34's and smaller, but one 34'ish boat makes the cut, the Mainship 350/390. It probably takes at least 36' to routinely get a second cabin. So even though I like the Nordic Tug 32, it has no second cabin. Also it probably would be pushing its Cummins 210 to get up to 8-9 kts.

No teak. That rules out most Taiwan Trawlers (or tubs if I want to be tacky).

One boat that ticks most boxes is the newish Monk 36 with the Cummins 210 engine. With that engine you can push its 36' hull above hull speed to 8-9 kts. Another would be the Grand Banks 36 with the single Cummins. But both will use significantly more fuel than a Willard 40. But significant may not be that important- 3 gph vs 5 gph.

Lots of bigger boats to consider as being bigger inherently ticks more boxes, except the no teak requirement. Screwed teak went away in the 90s. Many boats built before then have screwed teak decks. The Willard 40 would be one of my favorites with an efficient, ballasted hull and no teak in the early years.

Good luck with your search.

David

Last edited:
Thanks David, As I wrote in an earlier post. Smaller boat have priority over speed. I should really have said around 7 knots. My bad..

Cummins diesels I do like:)

I think I remember the Nordic Tug 32 is missing a second cabin that you wanted?

The Mainship is a really solid starter boat. I'll bet a lot of people start there and either never go any further, or end up returning to a Mainship after trying something else. Pretty easy to sell when you're ready as long as you keep it on decent condition.

HW, we have a 380HP Turbo with common rail for our 45 ft. full keel boat. I cruise her around 6Kn, 95% of the time at about 2 gph. For our application, and many other folks with newer engines, we have the same fuel burn rates as our normally aspirated friends with similar size boat designs.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I think the Bluewater with the Portages Bridge in cool looking.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1972/bluewater-pilot-house-trawler-3651949/

Also the Lord Nelson Victory tug. But they typically have teak decks.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983/lord-nelson-37-victory-tug-3643023/

We have owned a Bluewater 39 PH for 19 years.

The Bluewater 39 PH is a great boat but not for everyone. The superstructure is fiberglass over plywood. Lots of possible places for water saturated plywood and rot (portugese bridge, roofs, under windows). There are lots of exterior teak.

Most Taiwan boats from that era have those same issues.

If you don't have the time, skills or tools to do repairs, it will be expensive.

Some of the early Bluewaters had foam or balsa coring in the hull. Stay away from those! The one on Yacht World, referenced above, is balsa cored.

The solid fiberglass hulls are heavily built and have no issues. The hull is 1/2" to 1 1/4" thick, depending on location.

They were designed as a single but more twin engined versions were built than singles.

A variety of engines were installed. Ford Lehman and the GM Bedford are the most common. The one in Yacht World has Bedfords. Parts are becoming hard to locate for Bedfords.

There were only 20 or so Bluewater 40 PH's built.

There is a Bluewater section in the Trawler Builders Forum on TF. I have posted some of my repair projects.

Last edited:
I "hear" a lot of emotion in your posts....like the "looks of the Nordic 32". I know we all want handsome boats. But don't let that allow you to make a big mistake. The Nordic 32 is a VERY small boat for 32 feet. They are great boats no doubt. But they are tiny. I'd go American Tug 34...while "only 2 feet bigger", they are a significantly bigger boat. Not sure you can find one in your prife range. Same goes for the Nordic 37.....but I like the space of the AT34 over the NT37....might be some sort of marketing Jedi mind trick but it just seems bigger.

Anyway, those are tug boats. I think the Monk 36 is a great recommendation. The Island Gypsy 32 you mention, again, is a small boat....and only one stateroom. It gives up space to a large cockpit and large side decks....all great things...but at great expense on such a small boat. And I will reiterate my choice of Mainship 350/390 or 400. Fairly decent looking boats and a lot of boat for the money and they seem to check your boxes.

The rear master cabin models are quite comfortable accommodation with the fore cabin for guests or kids, as you wanted. Cockpit and no cockpit versions are with and without advantages. I have not owned either of the rear cabin models, although I see them as the most interior for the dollar, per foot option.

The rear master cabin models are quite comfortable accommodation with the fore cabin for guests or kids, as you wanted. Cockpit and no cockpit versions are with and without advantages. I have not owned either of the rear cabin models, although I see them as the most interior for the dollar, per foot option.

Agreed, and for the OP in PNW, a trunk cabin or a sundeck are definitely viable choices. But for warmer climates, I prefer sedan layouts such as my Willard, Nordic/American Tugs, Mainships, etc. Combination of being close to the galley for drinks/snacks/meals and closer to the waterline make for a more comfortable living space. But it is a tradeoff for interior space and separation of cabins. Just depends on how and where the boat will be used.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m in the process putting a shortlist together.

I did find one boat that have (in my eyes) really beautiful lines.

Sea Gipsy 32.

If there is anyone having something good or bad let me hear.

I think I remember the Nordic Tug 32 is missing a second cabin that you wanted?

I think you need to restate your post #1. Like others have said to have an aft cabin you need to be looking at 36+, yet you are looking at 32 which does not have it.
You have re stated speed to 7KN which opens door to all boats worth their salt.
My search just this past year was for a 36-40 aft cabin boat, twin engines, flybridge as a must. While I looked at many I compared all to the GB36-42 trying to find a reason NOT to buy a GB36 Classic which I had in my sights for many years. I guess it was a foregone conclusion I would get a GB36 but just had to eliminate other choices.
Are you also trying to eliminate others in favor of a 32 and aft cabin is not that important?

I think you need to restate your post #1. Like others have said to have an aft cabin you need to be looking at 36+, yet you are looking at 32 which does not have it.
You have re stated speed to 7KN which opens door to all boats worth their salt.
My search just this past year was for a 36-40 aft cabin boat, twin engines, flybridge as a must. While I looked at many I compared all to the GB36-42 trying to find a reason NOT to buy a GB36 Classic which I had in my sights for many years. I guess it was a foregone conclusion I would get a GB36 but just had to eliminate other choices.
Are you also trying to eliminate others in favor of a 32 and aft cabin is not that important?

Reason not to buy a GB in general, exterior teak.

Reason not to buy a GB in general, exterior teak.
:dance: :lol:
But, But, I need to experience why not for myself.

Actually, the first working boat I was on instilled the process of caring for brite work and paint. Then I worked in installing teak decks re&re. So each to their own is the correct way.

Look at ALL of them. Search Yachtworld.
Walk the docks, go to boat shows and get on the boats.
I think you would want larger than a 32' for liveaboard and guests.

Good Luck--enjoy the process, searching for the boat that jumps out at you.

Spend some time on a 32’, checking storage for clothes, spare parts etc you will look at 36’

Don't forget BC for your boat as your budget, using a currency exchange rate, becomes $200,000.

Here is a 42 foot Uniflite for $120,000 Canadian:

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-1981-uniflite-42-ft-double/7060336963.html

This boat will go faster than you want, but remember it's always easier to travel slow when you want to go slow and save fuel enjoying the scenery, but you can never go faster if the engines don't allow it.

People always talk about a high fuel burn on boats that are capable of faster cruising and they are correct. But you can often go fast for a short time, let's say a half hour and get to an area faster, then slow down. So you could rip along for half an hour heading to the Gulf Islands, then slow down once you are in them. Same is true for Johnstone Strait which is an area folks prefer to transit faster than slower. Or travelling up or down the west coast of Vancouver Island. There are 30 mile stretches of open ocean that you can zip through on a faster boat, taking over 4 + hours in a 7 knot boat.

It's nice to have an option and decide not to use it, rather than not having an option and needing (wanting) it.

Yes aft cabin and sundeck models have large staterooms

Issue with sundeck boats are up the stairs to sundeck and down the stairs to salon.

Sundecks and aft cabin boats are not for social people. When cruising with friends or yacht club, you will not have people just "popping in" for a visit like you get on a sedan style boat because of the climb. People can't just look in to see if you are in.

Line handling and getting off the boat during docking is a little more difficult if there is no cockpit.

Yes aft cabin and sundeck models have large staterooms

Issue with sundeck boats are up the stairs to sundeck and down the stairs to salon.

Sundecks and aft cabin boats are not for social people. When cruising with friends or yacht club, you will not have people just "popping in" for a visit like you get on a sedan style boat because of the climb. People can't just look in to see if you are in.

Line handling and getting off the boat during docking is a little more difficult if there is no cockpit.

A most excellent post and fully agree. I have always been a sedan person for those points you mention...although have had an aft cabin for the past 7 years. I just got back to my roots and bought a sedan.

I would also add to that last sentence...."Line handling and getting off the boat during docking is a little more difficult if there is no cockpit.....OR a decent swim platform". This is where we get into mass produced boats like the Carver in my signature. It does not have a cockpit but it does have molded in stairs to a nice swim platform that provides easy access to easy line handling. But it does sound like the OP has romantic stars in his eyes for the classic lines of a "trawler".

No doubt I see romantic stars. What boat buyer do not do that? would never buy a boat that i do not like the looks off. Beauty is in the eys of the beholder.

I do not really fancy the look off aft cabin trawlers even if they would offer me the best two cabin layout for the money.

I do like the aft deck from esthetics. But aft cockpit also adds a lot of practicality. I do like to fish. Getting in and out of the boat easy is another thing that my wife will appreciate.

I never thought about the social point of view. Thanks for mentioning that.

If you want to consider a sundeck model, look for one with a lower helm and a door to the side deck and a lower side deck that you can jump off onto the dock.

I helped a guy bring a Sea Ray sundeck back to LI from Baltimore and it had no lower helm and high side decks. The only way to get off or on that boat was from the swim platform, so docking with no marina help would be tough.

David

No doubt I see romantic stars. What boat buyer do not do that? would never buy a boat that i do not like the looks off. Beauty is in the eys of the beholder.

I do not really fancy the look off aft cabin trawlers even if they would offer me the best two cabin layout for the money.

I do like the aft deck from esthetics. But aft cockpit also adds a lot of practicality. I do like to fish. Getting in and out of the boat easy is another thing that my wife will appreciate.

I never thought about the social point of view. Thanks for mentioning that.

Many Aft cabin trawlers have helm doors to access docks from the lower controls. As use for most types of fishing, a cockpit is a must.

Look at many, many boats and find the design that you and your family will be comfortable living on. Engines are secondary consideration. Single or twin doesn't matter much because it is the speed/ power you use that determines fuel use

As long as you are not crossing oceans a Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin is available in many locations, prices and conditions.

FWIW, our Nordic Tug 37 cruises at 7-7.25 knots, burning a bit less than 2 gph. Average fuel economy is 3.63 nmpg over the past four summers and 16,000 nm. Turbocharged 330hp Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M3. And I have not tried to subtract out the fuel used by the genset and diesel heater.
I am getting the same numbers as Richard in my Nordic Tug 37 (averaging 2 gal/hr not removing fuel for gen set and diesel heater) over 3 seasons now and over 600 hours of run time.
I agree with the others regarding the NT 32. For me, it is a bit small, but a great boat. When we were boat shopping we looked at several American Tug 34's as well. Great boats, fairly roomy, but only 1 cabin.
For us (and based on your posts we had similar wants/needs), the Nordic Tug 37 fit the bill. Cruising at about 1/2 throttle, at approx. 7.5 knots burns around 2 gal/hr., but when desired, you can throttle up (uses alot more fuel) and run for periods as fast as 14-15 knots. Also in a following sea, you can increase RPM to better match the waves essentially "smoothing out" the ride.
The other boat I strongly suggest for you is the Monk 36. A very good boat, but a little harder to find, but probably less costly than one of the above mentioned Tugs.
Caveat: All of the above is based solely on the limited info you provided as to your wants, needs, and budget (was that really your top end or just where you hope to land?). Also, depending on a lot of other factors, I am sure there are other boats that could work for you as well.:thumb:

As long as you are not crossing oceans a Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin is available in many locations, prices and conditions.
Ahhh.... My first love!!! A CHB34.

I was walking the Docks in Oxnard at a friend's sailing club in 1985. And there, at the end of the fairway she sat. She smiled and gave me a wink - I refuse to believe it was the wake of a passing boat that made her move like she did. My heart melted. Alas she was taken. But I never forgot her.

I never owned a Taiwan trawler. But they are what turned my head away from sailing.

Back
Top Bottom