What is a trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is this a trawler? See photo labeled 1 in thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Retired. Crabber

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Rumpus van puffy bun
Vessel Make
Vashon 23
I have read hundreds of threads on this site and am generally confused what is considered a trawler? Is a ranger a trawler? Is a Nordic a trawler? Is a nimble a trawler? What defines a trawler? Is it displacement it appears anything slow is a trawler. Thanks in advance if I’m booted already for being salty thanks from the poop deck lol ps draggers suck crabbers rule!

Last edited:
Finally, I have found the definitive answer that will put this ad nauseam debate to bed:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trawl

Therefore, a trawler is any boat of any size and/or shape which drags a trawl behind it.

There...this debate is done!

I suggest the moderators close this thread immediately before it drags on for a couple hundred pages :D

Last edited:
Haha

Attachments

• A7006F63-E0D0-4F05-A864-1D10CFB801B5.jpeg
    A7006F63-E0D0-4F05-A864-1D10CFB801B5.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 39
Gorgeous Exactly what comes to mind

Recreational trawler

Attachments

• 2774566_c6572f48.jpg
    2774566_c6572f48.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 29
  • a5d59fc2bbfbbe967b3aae5a075aad70.jpg
    a5d59fc2bbfbbe967b3aae5a075aad70.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 29
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 27
  • img2626.jpg
    img2626.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 237
I see the majority of personal boats are really just a look

anyone ever made a a mould out of the old seiners seems the public might like the sterns and looks of the old wood seiners?

I really don't know what a trawler is, although I own one.

When people ask me what a trawler is I generally say, "It is slow, heavy, economical and roomy".

I get a kick out of some of the mis spellings of trawler though. My favorite is "troller".

pete

I really don't know what a trawler is, although I own one.

When people ask me what a trawler is I generally say, "It is slow, heavy, economical and roomy".

I get a kick out of some of the mis spellings of trawler though. My favorite is "troller".

pete
Are you sure it is not spelled Troll-er

...I get a kick out of some of the mis spellings of trawler though. My favorite is "troller"

Don't know what names are given elsewhere, but on BC's coast a troller is a commercial fishing boat that catches salmon with line & lure.

I always thought trawlers were draggers and trollers were like hand and power trollers. I from Alaska that has always been the definition that know of. On this forum it should be old guys on big expensive slow boats lol just troll ing lol

I always thought trawlers were draggers and trollers were like hand and power trollers. I from Alaska that has always been the definition that know of. On this forum it should be old guys on big expensive slow boats lol just troll ing lol
Well I always thought Trawl was the same as Troll but with an American accent.
Both being a term for dragging a lure or net. Much like Z is either zee or zed depending on the country.

Photo 1

Photo 1

Attachments

• 192EA713-4824-4F25-B128-58AB19F41B2B.jpg
    192EA713-4824-4F25-B128-58AB19F41B2B.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 29
My two cents worth ..
Heavy pleasure boat that does not plane.

A recreational trawler doesn't need more than an 80-horsepower engine.

Boat marketeers prefer to picture a "trawler" with the skipper and pal in an open flybridge with the boat, having multiple engines, traveling at two or three times hull speed.

This is a trawler

attachment.php

This was made from that very same trawler

13645-albums809-picture4977.jpg

Wicked simi 60 I much prefer the wings less civilian incarnation more than the bycatch bounty! Is it yours?

To be fair, just about any boat can drag a trawl. So if you fabricate a trawl and drag it one time behind your boat, it's a trawler (commercial fishing trawlers aren't called something else when they don't have their trawl in the water).

Imo, a recreational trawler generally travels in displacement mode and has a salty rugged appearance.

Ted

A modern recreational "trawler" is a deck house shape , plopped on to most any hull.

I just ask because I know I own a troller not a trawler lol Anyone ever see what’s left of a bar when crabbers and draggers(trawlers) drink together usually the troopers are involved haha thanks again for the forum have read hundreds of threads full of incredible information.

What length is a boat a yacht? If a trawler gets long enough does it loose its ever urning Trawler status and become a yacht?

Back
Top Bottom