What in tarnation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phatboat

Vessel Name
Pale Moon
Vessel Make
Carver 3607
What the heck is this about?
20210707_134053.jpg

20210707_134059.jpg

I believe it is for picking up mermaids

It is for someone to stand on while the anchor is being raised so they can keep the anchor from damaging gelcoat on the bow.

Improved surfing capabilities.

Its part of the "ramming speed" option upgrade package.

That's the first Forward Swim platform I've seen.

All good replies, thanks for the laugh, but I still don't get it!

Ask the skipper. Could reduce spray?

A bad idea which some naval architect convinced some gullible boat owner to spends thousands of dollars on

Maybe it’s to cut the tops of the waves off, so that the boat is always in flat seas.

Anchor chain inspection and cleaning platform for the anally retentive. :D

Vessels with high kinetic energy, which is proportional to mass and the square of the velocity, benefit from having a bulbous bow that is designed for their operating speed; this includes vessels with high mass (e.g. supertankers) or a high service speed passenger ships, and cargo ships. Vessels of lower mass (less than 4,000 dwt) and those that operate at slower speeds less than 12 kts have a reduced benefit from bulbous bows, because of the eddies that occur in those cases examples include tugboats, powerboats, sailing vessels, and small yachts. :socool:

Anchor chain inspection and cleaning platform for the anally retentive. :D

Or maybe somewhere to sit while you clean the ol' ditch moustache off with lemon juice.

I've seen them on the bow of large cruise ships but don't have a clue what the are supposed to do.

Ice shovel for high latitude travel. I can’t believe none of you knew that.

snagging lobster and crap pots

I've been WONDERING where that surf board got to! Glad I wasn't on it . . . :whistling:.

That a platform for Jack and Rose to clown around on where they won't block the Captain's view while underway.

It is something to break. Or maybe the skipper is a former surfer wanting to stand bow-on at water level. No practicality is apparent, or does it reduce pitching?

A bad idea which some naval architect convinced some gullible boat owner to spends thousands of dollars on
I doubt there was a naval architect involved. More likely an ignorant owner who thought it would look cool, and make his boat more like a giant container ship.

At least, I would HOPE that any naval architect would tell an owner asking about something like this that it is a total waste, and almost certainly does more harm than good!

Freighters have them, then commercial vessels adopted it and now with the cost of fuel expect the larger pleasure boats to install one. Intended to reduce bow wave, level out running, stop plowing and thus save fuel burn.

It's a place to sit to pet dolphins while underway..you people are so clueless.
Hollywood

Freighters have them, then commercial vessels adopted it and now with the cost of fuel expect the larger pleasure boats to install one. Intended to reduce bow wave, level out running, stop plowing and thus save fuel burn.

Yeah, but those are a very different shape; bulbous. This one looks mostly flat, but I see it does "bulb" a bit closer to the stem.

Still, the humorous answers are a lot more fun than trying to figure out exactly what that owner thought it would accomplish, and whether or not they were correct.

It's a place to sit to pet dolphins while underway..you people are so clueless.
Hollywood

More like a means to catch a pet dolphin... well, maybe a dead pet dolphin.

Attachments

• portsmouth-whale-1.jpg
    portsmouth-whale-1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 1507138774113.jpg
    1507138774113.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 33
  • whale.JPG
    whale.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 30
  • whale 2.JPG
    whale 2.JPG