What spare do you carry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
always carry little stuf, but a spare starter, and alternator are always on board! also have the no-drip shaft seal with cooling, (even tho we go slow/maybe up to 7 knots) always, and i mean always travel with the tide (have mentioned that before) trouble with queen charlot straites, both sides are the same, ie, one side going out to the north, we go with it, then the other side is going out too, so we go north on the last of the ebb, and then time the north side to change to flood! (did i say that right?)clyde

My boat was commissioned with lots of redundancy for everything mission critical (two gensets, two radars, multiple GPS, multiple nav computers, etc.), and even two completely independent holding tank systems (4 heads, one holding tank serving the 3 indoor heads, and one serving the day head). Even so, the heads are so important that I carry a spare Blue Whale pump for pumping out my holding tanks and multiple duck bill valves.

to the person who wrote me, you don`t have a boat (ours is 40 ft) you have a SHIP! no comparison! the boats i commercial fished on, were in the 60, to 75 ft long! and your point is? we fished from the san juan islands, to kodiak, etc...clyde

My boat was commissioned with lots of redundancy for everything mission critical (two gensets, two radars, multiple GPS, multiple nav computers, etc.), and even two completely independent holding tank systems (4 heads, one holding tank serving the 3 indoor heads, and one serving the day head). Even so, the heads are so important that I carry a spare Blue Whale pump for pumping out my holding tanks and multiple duck bill valves.

Why are the heads so critical? A bucket is an easy workaround, not the case with other mission critical systems.

Why are the heads so critical? A bucket is an easy workaround, not the case with other mission critical systems.

We have two heads but last winter we had a cold snap and all the pump outs were out of service. This went on long enough that holding tanks were getting full around the marina.

After that experience I went online and got several wag bags!

-tozz

We have two heads but last winter we had a cold snap and all the pump outs were out of service. This went on long enough that holding tanks were getting full around the marina.

After that experience I went online and got several wag bags!

-tozz

In that situation, would you not empty some of your tanks overboard?

A lot of head troubles seem to be caused by clogged vents and collected sediment on the bottom. Think pump outs contribute to the problem. Think draining from the bottom causes air to go down the vent(s) and creates flow past the sediment on the bottom which helps get rid of it.
So we try hard to avoid pump outs and strongly prefer to go past the 3 mile limit to empty our tanks. Head through hull is left open on passage or in the tropics. If in a marina closed. Then filled entirely before leaving with shore water. Then emptied completely as soon as legal. By avoiding pump outs have had no clogs.

A lot of head troubles seem to be caused by clogged vents and collected sediment on the bottom. Think pump outs contribute to the problem. Think draining from the bottom causes air to go down the vent(s) and creates flow past the sediment on the bottom which helps get rid of it.
So we try hard to avoid pump outs and strongly prefer to go past the 3 mile limit to empty our tanks. Head through hull is left open on passage or in the tropics. If in a marina closed. Then filled entirely before leaving with shore water. Then emptied completely as soon as legal. By avoiding pump outs have had no clogs.

It all depends on how the system is plumbed. In my case, the macerator and deck pumpout fitting both draw from the same dip tube in the tank. However, the tube is positioned very low to the bottom of the tank (about 1/2"), so it should leave less sludgy stuff (at the expense of pumping out a little slower). To help rinse sludge out, I'll sometimes have someone give one of the heads a good, long flush when the pumpout starts to suck air, as that'll run some water across at least part of the tank bottom (from where it goes in over to the dip tube).

The good folks on Cruising Sea Venture responded up-thread that they install a new part (such as a pump) and use the old one as a spare. One of the reasons they cite for doing this is to assure they have the parts and tools necessary to complete the installation. I watched this YouTube video from Northern Lights about replacing a seawater pump. Reminded me to assure I have the right set of sockets, etc, to complete such an install.

I also watched a YT from a cruising sailor chasing an air leak in his fuel system. He would have liked to have had a spare lift pump to swap-out, or at least the proper gaskets and diaphragm to rebuild the one he had (BTW - the air leak ended up being caused by a mis-labeled secondary fuel filter).

My takeaway is if you are intending to cruise away from readily available sources for replacements and parts, spare pumps make a ton of sense. And I continue to follow practice of installing new and keeping old as spare/backup.

Peter

Depending on where you boat, not everyone has the option of going 3 miles offshore. Some bodies of water, many times wider than 3 miles, are entirely a NDZ. Some of us may never be in water that is not a NDZ all season.

In that situation, would you not empty some of your tanks overboard?

Puget Sound is one big NDZ. Can't discharge overboard.

-tozz

Where did that post come from? I didn't write it.

SMILE We can have all the spares we want and need plus all the necessary tools but, on a 34ft boat, where do I put them and how do I remember where I put them? LOL

This is almost funny, but was true on our last boat. The PO had spares of everything on a 33' boat. Enough houses/belts/impellers/props/pumps/pullers/zinks/shaft to rebuild any system at any time. We left most of it on the boat, it was well organized but still hard to find something if you needed it. When it came time to sell the boat the Broker told us to remove everything as to present a clean/open boat. I tell you what... we gained about 3" of freeboard and picked up almost 4 knots at top speed. It handled amazing being so light and quick. When we sold the boat I trucked up the spares to the new owner. 1 pickup bed full. He said where do I put all of this !

This time around we are only adding spares for one engine, hoses/belts/filters, and a few spares for the gen. One wiring box, one spare pump. Two gallons of distilled water for batteries.
I do pack two spares of impellers for everything, as others have had issues in the past, without my spare main impeller one of my buds would have been stuck in a tough spot. I do pack a lot of oil, one 5 gallon and 3-1 gallon with filters. As the detroits use a bit of oil, and if I have a major leak/filter fail I want enough to fill it back up. I keep a good stock of tools, and they stay on the boat. I do make a habit of checking my spares for deteriation, as there is no need to pack spare belts if they are already rotten. And the tools I do coat with a light spray of wd-40 and keep them clean. I found for hoses/belts if you wrap them in no cling plastic wrap they last longer.

We also pack a fair bit of food/water for emergencys. Not that we travel far out, but as a fat guy, I always need to have a reserve around. Nothing fancy, just some tins of beans,fish,crackers,soup. And a few extra 1 gallon jugs of water.

Last edited:
Lift pump, bilge pump, alternator, raw water, gaskets galore, start solenoid, switches, fuses, breakers, bulbs, fuel filters, wiring, fittings of all types-plumbing and electrcal...
And you have all helped me with this article immensely.

Last edited:
Dumping legally is no big deal...

Even negative pressure from a pumpout may not be enough to clear a vent and if it doesn't, and the pumpout suction isn't enough, no pumpout.

I'm not sure how to how to send you a "PM". If you get this, at least please respond so I know I successfully reached you. I'd be interested in a Jabsco macerating head, if it was a "Quiet-Flush", model 37045-series. Let me know if you get this.

I'm not sure how to how to send you a "PM". If you get this, at least please respond so I know I successfully reached you. I'd be interested in a Jabsco macerating head, if it was a "Quiet-Flush", model 37045-series. Let me know if you get this.

Who are you trying to contact?

Who are you trying to contact?

Hi Sea-Duction,

Thanks for the reach out. I was trying to contact "High Wire", post #77. He asked for a "PM" as he had changed out his Jabsco heads for Raritan's. He offered rebuild kits for his old Jabsco, the one's (maybe) I presently have. I clearly am not facile on this (or any blog), and was unsure how to contact him as he asked. Nor am I sure does my message leave him any breadcrumbs to contact me directly. I need a teenager. :banghead:

Hi Sea-Duction,

Thanks for the reach out. I was trying to contact "High Wire", post #77. He asked for a "PM" as he had changed out his Jabsco heads for Raritan's. He offered rebuild kits for his old Jabsco, the one's (maybe) I presently have. I clearly am not facile on this (or any blog), and was unsure how to contact him as he asked. Nor am I sure does my message leave him any breadcrumbs to contact me directly. I need a teenager. :banghead:

LOL No worries !!!:eek:

Hi Sea-Duction,

To more likely make contact with High WIre go to his post 77 and click on his name. HIGH WIRE.
A drop down box will appear and will show

>>> "SEND a private message to High Wire" .

Click it and another box will open allowing you to add your message and then click the box below " Submit Message"

That will send him your message.
In your message include your email address if you wish otherwise you can converse through the site.
I've found it is better to exchange email addresses if you expect more than quick reply and little discussion.

Tools and spare parts are great, but what a boater really needs us a understanding of how things work.

How does electricity work, and how is your boat's electrical system connected.

How does plumbing work, and again, how is your boat set up

How do engines work, and where are the major components on your engines.

Then regarding spares, they need to be usable, not just close. The time to figure out that your "spare" potable water pump is set up different and that you do not have the correct fittings to plumb it in, is not the thing to learn down island somewhere.

Knowledge is power.

SO very true. Electrics bamboozle me, mechanical not so much.

Interesting variety of parts are carried onboard. I am curious as to how these parts are protected onboard vs salt water environment, heat and humidity (corrosion, rust, shrinkage, etc.... thank you.

A little over kill but I had bought a vacumm pack nitrogen flush machine cheap, from a company going out of business. Did all my cruising inventory + ... kept everything perfect.

I let my crew use it if they wanted to take it around to marina's and yacht clubs for extra revenue.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Loaded everything from the BWB onto the coastal boat . Now need to decide what to take off. Prior owner never left his immediate area so there’s no spares. Not an impeller nor a racor or filter. Owner before him was a cruiser. So at one time boat was fully found. Looks like the cruiser had a dedicated tool storage but now gone. Now spending hours trying to figure out part numbers for key things. At present thinking at a minimum, first pass.
For the Cummins-4 racors, 2 fuel and 2 oil filters, belt, 3 impellers
For the Onan- the same
For the SeaRecovery- 2 industrial, one carbon, 4 intake filters and 4 pickling packets.
Rebuild kit for the pressure water pump.
2 rebuild kits for the vacuum flushes
2 Nozzles and pump rebuild for the Espar hydronic and 2 filters
4 filters for the polishing
What am I missing? Have tools enough to sink a dinghy. Need to get rid of some of that weight. Figure I’ll decide after a year. If I don’t use it in that time it comes off the boat. Always amazed me regardless of the size of the boat you always want more storage.
There’s rugs on this boat. Any suggestions for a good small vacuum that does rugs and is easy to store?

3 impellers strikes me as overkill. I'd be worried about cycling through them before they're too old. Personally, I only carry 1 spare per engine, 1 for the generator. If I had a single, I might carry 2.

For the water pressure pump, I carry a full spare pump, figuring that way if the motor dies, I'm still covered. If it's a wet end failure, I'd swap the pump, then get parts to rebuild the failed one at my convenience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom