What material is best for US flag?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Sea Fever
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
I need to get a new flag this season. The old one is nylon and has taken a beating. They also use polyester to make flags which holds up better but it takes more wind to fly them as it is heavier. What kind do you use?

US Navy uses nylon, at least they did when I was in the service. Probably there are different grades of nylon, and some hold up better than others. The hems were always beat out of them eventually, long before the UV degraded the colors.

I got one off Amazon and it is really nice

Wilbork American Flag - 100% Made in USA - Strong Like Americans Made by Americans: Embroidered Stars - Sewn Stripes - 2.5 by 4 Foot

Nylon. Remove it at sunset and it lasts much longer, plus complies with proper etiquette. Not what most do at my marina.

Nylon. Easy to clean. Drys quickly.

Ted

I made a cover for mine that I use when I am not using my boat. It completely covers the furled flag. It keeps the flag from being beat up while I am not on board ... I have the same for my burgee.

Wool , makes the least noise when flapping in the breeze.

I always use Annin flags. Made of nylon in the USA.

Nylon with embroidered stars is best for longevity. Cotton with embroidery looks the best though. Just doesn't last nearly as long.

Nothing from Harbor Freight is good for your boat. Nothing.

And don't get me started about buying a Chinese-made US flag. Are you high? Do you not want friends any longer? ;-)

Not high but did own a Chinese boat as well!! Still vote for Trump though!!

Damn, guess my boat is semi-Chinese too. Lol! Well, technically it is an ROC boat and not exactly Chinese.

Taiwan is not Communist China. ;)

Yet...

Taiwan is officially known as the Republic of China since 1949. ROC is not mainland China. My first ship (USS Chandler DDG-996) is now part of the ROC Navy. Certainly not the "real" Chinese.

Yet...[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Say what you want about flags, it's personal preference.

I bought a flag last year that the grommets on the flag would release iron or some kind of metal filings that would leave teeny tiny rust spots on the nonskid downwind of the flag.

That's one more thing to wonder and worry about on advance.

Hard to get rusty filings out of deck. But I do with Whink Rust Remover.

We use the cheapest sewn nylon flags we can find. As full time liveaboard cruisers, we go through 3 to 4 flags a year and I can't see spending a lot of money on them. I've tried expensive ones but they don't last appreciably longer.

I fly a flag every day from my upstairs balcony (at home not on the boat). I use Annin tough-tex. The flag lasts about 2 years if I take it down during high winds and rain. This is in Arizona, gets morning full sun 95% of the time

Nothing from Harbor Freight is good for your boat. Nothing.

Their tie wraps work fine.

Nylon flags are noisy, if the flag is near the cockpit this is an issue. I have always bought cotton or wool. They get dirtier quicker but they are quiet.

M

Annin Flags

'Lo All,

A few years ago, an Annin flag that was on a Harbor Freight pole :blush: literally fell apart. The flag is lighted and flown 24/7 in the NW Florida weather. The hem was still good as was all but the white stripes. The white stripes could be pulled apart very easily. I called Annin folks who were extremely surprised. They asked me to send pictures, which I did and offered to return the flag to them, but they said that was unnecessary. I opined that the white material did not have any UV protection. Annin gave their sincere apologies and sent a new flag. I still make sure I have a spare Annin flag. Somewhere, I also still have the original, unused, flag that came with the Harbor Freight flag pole. The flag pole, by the way, has worked very well. The twist-locks for the segments occasionally slipped, so I drilled holes at the bottom of each extended section and inserted 1/8" SS cotter pins so it cannot collapse now.

Back
Top Bottom