Old 07-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #21

City: Green Cove Springs,FL
Vessel Name: No Destination
Vessel Model: 1972 GulfStar Trawler 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Did the salvage come out of hull reimbusement or was it paid separately?

Most yacht policies I believe have separate environmental cleanup line items and salvage is separate too or is just paid first and you get the rest to replace your boat.
I had only liability and cover lifting boat out of water, tow to lift and storage. The boat damage was paid by that boat owner who started the fire.
It is not the monetary damage that hurt the most, but the sociological damage. I got paranoid to the point, that I remove inboard ac unit and installed portable one - no water circulation. I take my boat for a ride every few weeks and after I dock and shut down the engines, I shut down the thru hull valves.
nodestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
I would absolutely say something about is and quite vocal. You can't fix stupid, but you can get rid of him. He's endangering YOUR boat.
I doubt I have the power to get rid of another tenant. I could report the one who I saw smoking and working on his boat but not the ones smoking on the fuel dock. There are signs but people ignore them. The dockhands are mostly young kids hoping for a tip, not career employees concerned about the marina. Ideally, they would turn off the pumps if someone was smoking but they don't and they are unlikely to.

Like I said, you can't fix stupid.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodestination View Post
It is not the monetary damage that hurt the most, but the sociological damage. I got paranoid to the point, that I remove inboard ac unit and installed portable one - no water circulation. I take my boat for a ride every few weeks and after I dock and shut down the engines, I shut down the thru hull valves.
Well, shutting the thru hulls every time is good practice. I do it all the time on my sailboat. I don't do it on my North Pacific simply because it is less convenient. It still would be good practice however and maybe I will start doing it. There are the engine and genset thru hulls that are below waterline.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #24
Guru

Ideally, we would have a way to monitor water flow through a thruhull and compare it to the flow leaving the device (engine, AC unit, etc. and then shut down the device and close the thruhull automatically.

This would allow us to feel comfortable running an AC unit without being on the boat and would give us advance warning of a problem with the engine's cooling system.

I have never seen an electrically operated thruhull though.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #25
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
A high water switch to a relay cutting power off to pumps or devices thar accelerate flooding is one option.

They might even be set up with electrically controlled seacocks for the truly cautious (paranoid).

Here is an electric seacock....

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...262&id=2589738
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #26
Guru

City: Puget Sound
Deja Vu all over again

Just posted this thread yesterday, about the marina fire that happened 12 years ago. Our current boat is moored at the replaced marina. I got a call last night that the boat tied up next to ours was on fire. Fortunately the fire was a battery fire and contained within the hull...The fire response was impressive 2 boats that had fire fighting capabilities, and a I'm told a number of fire fighters. These boats aren't undercover so the fire prevention improvements to the marina weren't tested...
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta View Post
Just posted this thread yesterday, about the marina fire that happened 12 years ago. Our current boat is moored at the replaced marina. I got a call last night that the boat tied up next to ours was on fire. Fortunately the fire was a battery fire and contained within the hull...The fire response was impressive 2 boats that had fire fighting capabilities, and a I'm told a number of fire fighters. These boats aren't undercover so the fire prevention improvements to the marina weren't tested...
Wow, glad it turned out the way it did. Maybe we have what appears to be a lot of marina fires because most boats are in the water year round with almost all of them plugged into shore power full time. I believe that most of the marina fires are electric in origin in some way.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
A high water switch to a relay cutting power off to pumps or devices thar accelerate flooding is one option.

They might even be set up with electrically controlled seacocks for the truly cautious (paranoid).

Here is an electric seacock....

Groco E-Valve Motorized Seacock - 1-1/2"
Just a bit more than I was prepared to pay. A bilge switch to shut down the AC pump is a bit more realistic but depending on where the leak is it might or might not save the boat.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Just a bit more than I was prepared to pay. A bilge switch to shut down the AC pump is a bit more realistic but depending on where the leak is it might or might not save the boat.
I agree, spendy item. I think it would be nice to have a power seacock that would open on key on and then close on key off. I would also love to have powered valves for my fuel transfer lines as well.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #30
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I only pointed out the electric through hull as many boaters have no idea what is and isnt available out there.

I too would not worry about the sea cocks and hoses as they are a high priority maintenance item to me.

The relay was suggested to me by a superb marine engineer and I have it on my work list.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #31
Guru

City: Puget Sound
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Wow, glad it turned out the way it did. Maybe we have what appears to be a lot of marina fires because most boats are in the water year round with almost all of them plugged into shore power full time. I believe that most of the marina fires are electric in origin in some way.
There was no damage outside of the boat that caused the fire. The fire crews broke the windows to vent and then had to water down the interior bulkheads that caught on fire. Because this was electrical I suspect the bilge pumps won't be working and probably need to be. The boat was being restored, initial reports say it's most likely a total loss. The good news is no one was hurt.
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote