What makes a trawler yacht a trawler yacht?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll agree. A yacht imo has a paid captain and crew and a trawler is a o/o(owner operated) vessel.

I'll agree. A yacht imo has a paid captain and crew and a trawler is a o/o(owner operated) vessel.

So, you're saying the same boat can be a yacht or a trawler depending on whether the owner operates it or has a crew? I know people with 50' cruisers who have paid captains and those with 80-90' boats who owner operate them.

PeterB,
Sailboats are obviously sailboats. Why would you want to call them by any other name? To raise their status of course if you call them a yacht. I could call my house a yacht too but it’s still a house. Very pretentious indeed.

PeterB,
Sailboats are obviously sailboats. Why would you want to call them by any other name? To raise their status of course if you call them a yacht. I could call my house a yacht too but it’s still a house. Very pretentious indeed.

Nothing at all pretentious about Australians or British calling sailboats yachts. That is simply what all sailing vessels are called in those places.

So, you're saying the same boat can be a yacht or a trawler depending on whether the owner operates it or has a crew? I know people with 50' cruisers who have paid captains and those with 80-90' boats who owner operate them.
Yeah. That's my idea of one. It can be 30' with crew and be a yacht.

Nothing at all pretentious about Australians or British calling sailboats yachts. That is simply what all sailing vessels are called in those places.

HaHa BandB,
Just jiv’in Peter. He knows most people call sailboats sailboats. Peter was just troll’in for a little “discussion”.
When in Rome ... probably 95% of us aren’t in the sailboat/yacht world. Yacht on TF is not a sailboat .... is it?

HaHa BandB,
Just jiv’in Peter. He knows most people call sailboats sailboats. Peter was just troll’in for a little “discussion”.
When in Rome ... probably 95% of us aren’t in the sailboat/yacht world. Yacht on TF is not a sailboat .... is it?

Have no idea what a yacht is on TF. It's a trawler forum and we don't know what a trawler is. What makes you think we'd know what a yacht is. We, personally, don't like or use the term, yacht. They're all just boats. I'm sure my wife will designate your boat a yacht as Goddess of the designation realm if you desire. lol

Have no idea what a yacht is on TF. It's a trawler forum and we don't know what a trawler is. What makes you think we'd know what a yacht is. We, personally, don't like or use the term, yacht. They're all just boats. I'm sure my wife will designate your boat a yacht as Goddess of the designation realm if you desire. lol

I'll be interested to watch how the Goddess/Princess [Wifey B] handles soooo many floater-design-nomenclature requests. "G/P" already anointed our Tolly as "Pleasure Cruiser"! :D:D

I'll be interested to watch how the Goddess/Princess [Wifey B] handles soooo many floater-design-nomenclature requests. "G/P" already anointed our Tolly as "Pleasure Cruiser"! :D:D

Wifey B: And you got off nicely, didn't even have to pay a tribute. Sort of a loss leader. :rofl:

Wifey B: And you got off nicely, didn't even have to pay a tribute. Sort of a loss leader. :rofl:

Consider perpetual tribute... From Linda and me!! :D:D :thumb::thumb: :dance::dance:

My previous boat, a Willard 40, was a trawler.
My current boat, a Selene 47, is a yacht.

Having been watching this thread and a similar thread on the ybw.com forum, I've come to the following conclusion: there is no definition of a trawler yacht.

Describing your boat as a trawler yacht is more about describing your way of life, your character, what you enjoy about being at sea, your aim on life. Of course, if your boat looks trawler-esque, you could very well say it's a trawler yacht. But it's going to be subjective.

So I've changed my mind.

Happy New Year!

Heck, I'd rather my Albin-25 WASN't called a "Mini-Trawler" as

one of our friends is so fond of. Our boat sorta predates the current usage of "trawler" and I prefer Scandinavian-style Motor Cruiser.

Having been watching this thread and a similar thread on the ybw.com forum, I've come to the following conclusion: there is no definition of a trawler yacht.

Describing your boat as a trawler yacht is more about describing your way of life, your character, what you enjoy about being at sea, your aim on life. Of course, if your boat looks trawler-esque, you could very well say it's a trawler yacht. But it's going to be subjective.

So I've changed my mind.

Happy New Year!

Has all to do w the boat and nothing to do w owners.
A boat is what it is.
Mine is a trawler. Yours is a yacht.

So how would you define it?

The Flemming is known for it’s beauty and fancyness. Looking just a tad bit like a trawler isn’t fly stuff but fairly close to it. Mostly it’s a yacht and a very fine one indeed. Many here seriously lust after the Flemings. Wanna trade? Guess that includes me.
Obviously just my opinion and many here probably think of it as a trawler. Definitely not a SeaRay.

I don't know where I read it, but i read a yacht is defined as "a vessel designed for the sole pleasure of its owner."

Must ask... Doesn't that definition make even 24' center console fisher boats [or similar sized boats], solely purchased and used for pleasure by its owner, a yacht :confused::confused::confused: :facepalm:

IMO... Our 34' Tolly tri cabin with plenty of amenities for weeks at a time comfortable cruising, or days in a row at anchor ain't no yacht. Damn nice pleasure cruiser... lots o' fun... but a yacht??? I think not! :dance: :lol:

Last edited:
Everything else gets you there, a trawler takes you there.

I don't know where I read it, but i read a yacht is defined as "a vessel designed for the sole pleasure of its owner."
That definition could fit a sex toy. Maybe we are onto something...

Ed Monk Sr. that designed my boat called it a diesel cruiser, so that’s what I call it. I had a 23’ San Juan years ago, probably that was a jacht, but Clark called it a sailboat, so that’s what I called it.

Ed Monk had it right! love those RW's

Everything else gets you there, a trawler takes you there.

I don’t get it Bob.
You mean trawlers have autopilots?
Is itthe length of a peice of string?
Or not enough difference to talk about.
But you’re here talk’in about it.
Yup I don’t get it.

I don’t get it Bob.
You mean trawlers have autopilots?
Is itthe length of a peice of string?
Or not enough difference to talk about.
But you’re here talk’in about it.
Yup I don’t get it.

I don't either, but maybe a few rounds of rum or bourbon would help in the translation. :blush:

Well looks obvious to me the difference between getting somewhere and taking you somewhere... One word: heart.
That is the difference between taking a plane to get to an island and cruising on a trawler. Ask Richarx the difference between taking a plane to do a round trip befween americas and europe he will be better than me to explain.
And I think Bob wrote it very well.

L

Same question

Had someone ask me the same question at our marina when he boarded and looked us over this past summer. Was somewhat at a loss for words, except that some of them resemble older fishing boats.

Thanks Lou, you got the point exactly.

Back
Top Bottom