What makes a trawler yacht a trawler yacht?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you consider the Maltese Falcon, a "sailing" yacht has to keep it's diesels running 24/7 when cruising to power the sail hydraulics, burning more gph than 4 40 ft trawlers at WOT, maybe?

Ha! Slam dump I believe.

You all solved it!!!!!

The '67 muscle car goes on the back of a Trawler!

The Toyota or Jag goes on the back of a Yacht!

Awesome, now back to boating...

We consider our Mainship to be a boat. A big boat by the time you add the bow sprit and dinghy.
MS calls it a 430 Trawler.

Attachments

• 20171129_170117.jpg
    20171129_170117.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 67
Ever since SeaDory called their OB boats “trailerable trawlers” I have not given any credit to what manufacturers say on this matter.

I think this thread's utility for real information ended not long after it started, so any derailing going on may as well be here.

My Mom's 60's Bentley was a gorgeous yacht, Dad's Mopar fake-woody station wagon was a real boat.

I have enjoyed this thread, I must say! Where I live, trawlers are commercial fishing boats that trawl nets compared to similar dimension boats that might also be full displacement, single engine, wood construction, but which fish pole and line. Both are called "fishing boats" but only one of them is a trawler. Both have fish wells, but only the latter has live bait tanks. These kinds of fishing boats have huge carrying capacities; for example, one of the other fishing boats here displaces 12 tons and can carry 10. Most go out in all but the worst conditions and stay out days at a time.

I know you all know this—I make this point only to highlight the extent to which the recreational boat building community has taken the attributes of seaworthiness that these vessels have to have and labelled a number of vessels they sell as "trawlers", but they do not appear to share many of the characteristics of fishing boats. How could they? They are designed with very different goals in mind.

My new boat is labeled a trawler by its designer, and no doubt shares some DNA with the wooden boats I described. In reality, it is a full-displacement, single engine, carvel construction wooden boat that has the sheer lines of some of the fishing boats in this area, but has been designed as a live-aboard boat (so different engine placement, for example, not needing a fish well).

Here in Australia, as far as I know, "yacht" describes two kinds of boats: those with sails and much larger pleasure boats. I think we borrowed the American usage for the pleasure boats.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom