Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #81
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 11,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
You have a true trawler when you are followed by a flight of seagulls

L
Amen!
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #82
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I decide I am the self-appointed Goddess of deciding what is and isn't a trawler. I will render such decisions when I wish and based on my own mood at the time. I might consider offerings made at my altar or how I'm talked to. There will be no fee for the decision although voluntary contributions (I know it sounds like bribes but they aren't as I may still rule against your wishes if I choose) may help tilt the scales of justice in your favor. Also, there may be two apparently identical boats that I give differing answers on as they may well have different personalities.

And what led me to declaring myself in charge? Seeing that no other system works at all and people keep circumnavigating the world of this topic so felt I might as well seek some personal gain out of the total futility of worrying about something I'd think no one would give a flying f... about.

Yes my queen.......
__________________

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:47 PM   #83
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Yes my queen.......
Wifey B: Thank you.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:00 PM   #84
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Country: US
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
In my world, boat-owning yacht-club members by definition all have yachts
In my world, that would be a false syllogism . . . unless you consider these yachts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	603DB052-03F6-4CEE-AE5F-68A693AEF365.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	71453  
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:35 PM   #85
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Yes my queen.......
Dear Wifey B

In your honor as TF Goddess... I provide my time for personally honoring your position.

If I may, again in your honor [and because of your delightful youngness of mind and heart]... I must say I think of you as a Princess; thankfully not yet old enough to be a Queen.

So...

Dear Goddess, Princess Wifey B [with time that creates age you will surely become Queen] I request you to bequeath the title of "Pleasure Cruiser" [not trawler] upon our Tollycraft, a very fun to own and use boat.

I bow to your beauty and wisdom!

Your humble fellow TF boating nut!

Art -
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:17 PM   #86
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17,094
WifyB,
Boy you sure have a way w Art.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:30 PM   #87
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Dear Wifey B

In your honor as TF Goddess... I provide my time for personally honoring your position.

If I may, again in your honor [and because of your delightful youngness of mind and heart]... I must say I think of you as a Princess; thankfully not yet old enough to be a Queen.

So...

Dear Goddess, Princess Wifey B [with time that creates age you will surely become Queen] I request you to bequeath the title of "Pleasure Cruiser" [not trawler] upon our Tollycraft, a very fun to own and use boat.

I bow to your beauty and wisdom!

Your humble fellow TF boating nut!

Art -
Wifey B: Pleasure Cruiser, it is, and hope lot's of pleasure.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:46 PM   #88
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
WifyB,
Boy you sure have a way w Art.
I most often play it [i.e. say it] the way I see it [i.e. feel] it!!!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:47 PM   #89
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Pleasure Cruiser, it is, and hope lot's of pleasure.
Thank You!! Princess!!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:39 AM   #90
TF Site Team
 
City: Ex-Brisbane, now Bribie Island, Qld
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 8,104
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
The word 'yacht' is an anglization of the Dutch word 'Jacht' and was a single mast sailboat with fore and aft sails. In the 17th century they started to become popular with noblemen in England and were used for leisure and sport rather than work. Thus started the reputation of yachts being for the rich and were definitely sailing craft.
Vessels primarily powered by other than sail are not proper yachts.
Thank you McGillicuddy, for that. So clearly we in the antipodes are more correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Gary View Post
This question is often asked so, in the sprit of putting it to rest, I consulted an expert in the form of my 7 year old granddaughter.
" A Yacht has a twirly thing on top, If there is no twirly thing it is a boat"
I hope that this puts the age old question to rest.
Correct statement - wrong interpretation by Gary. The granddaughter was clearly referring quite correctly to the wind direction indicator (+/- anemometer), when she referred to the twirly thing, all yachts have at the top of the mast. Not, I repeat, not, the rotating type of radar transmitter. These are almost never seen on a yacht, because if it has radar, it would be in an enclosed dome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
As Bruce and Pete noted above, in these parts a yacht is a sailboat.
Confirmed by McGillicuddy above, so totally agree with that Brian. However, have to disagree with this statement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
And in particular a sailboat over 40', most likely with an owner who turns his nose up at powerboats and won't wave or acknowledge them at all. These guys are often miffed that their wives like and aspire to the comforts power boat owners take for granted.
Having owned two yachts under 40 feet, I still called them yachts, and never turned my nose up at any fellow boatie as long as they at least tried to obey the rules. It was me, not the wife, who often envied power boaties who were able to just rock up to an anchorage, flicked a switch, and down went the anchor - reverse process when leaving. Much more laborious for me, furling sails, managing an outboard, and then manually anchoring. I also envied the lovely covered cockpit protection from the baking Queensland sun, and thunderous downpours. So, I sold the yacht, and I joined the club.
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #91
Senior Member
 
TowLou's Avatar
 
City: Flanders, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 206
I'll agree. A yacht imo has a paid captain and crew and a trawler is a o/o(owner operated) vessel.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #92
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowLou View Post
I'll agree. A yacht imo has a paid captain and crew and a trawler is a o/o(owner operated) vessel.
So, you're saying the same boat can be a yacht or a trawler depending on whether the owner operates it or has a crew? I know people with 50' cruisers who have paid captains and those with 80-90' boats who owner operate them.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #93
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17,094
PeterB,
Sailboats are obviously sailboats. Why would you want to call them by any other name? To raise their status of course if you call them a yacht. I could call my house a yacht too but it’s still a house. Very pretentious indeed.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #94
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
PeterB,
Sailboats are obviously sailboats. Why would you want to call them by any other name? To raise their status of course if you call them a yacht. I could call my house a yacht too but it’s still a house. Very pretentious indeed.
Nothing at all pretentious about Australians or British calling sailboats yachts. That is simply what all sailing vessels are called in those places.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #95
Scraping Paint
 
City: CT
Country: US
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 963
Even a little dinghy like a laser?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:29 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
TowLou's Avatar
 
City: Flanders, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
So, you're saying the same boat can be a yacht or a trawler depending on whether the owner operates it or has a crew? I know people with 50' cruisers who have paid captains and those with 80-90' boats who owner operate them.
Yeah. That's my idea of one. It can be 30' with crew and be a yacht.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #97
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Nothing at all pretentious about Australians or British calling sailboats yachts. That is simply what all sailing vessels are called in those places.
HaHa BandB,
Just jiv’in Peter. He knows most people call sailboats sailboats. Peter was just troll’in for a little “discussion”.
When in Rome ... probably 95% of us aren’t in the sailboat/yacht world. Yacht on TF is not a sailboat .... is it?
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:32 PM   #98
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
HaHa BandB,
Just jiv’in Peter. He knows most people call sailboats sailboats. Peter was just troll’in for a little “discussion”.
When in Rome ... probably 95% of us aren’t in the sailboat/yacht world. Yacht on TF is not a sailboat .... is it?
Have no idea what a yacht is on TF. It's a trawler forum and we don't know what a trawler is. What makes you think we'd know what a yacht is. We, personally, don't like or use the term, yacht. They're all just boats. I'm sure my wife will designate your boat a yacht as Goddess of the designation realm if you desire. lol
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #99
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Have no idea what a yacht is on TF. It's a trawler forum and we don't know what a trawler is. What makes you think we'd know what a yacht is. We, personally, don't like or use the term, yacht. They're all just boats. I'm sure my wife will designate your boat a yacht as Goddess of the designation realm if you desire. lol
I'll be interested to watch how the Goddess/Princess [Wifey B] handles soooo many floater-design-nomenclature requests. "G/P" already anointed our Tolly as "Pleasure Cruiser"!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #100
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I'll be interested to watch how the Goddess/Princess [Wifey B] handles soooo many floater-design-nomenclature requests. "G/P" already anointed our Tolly as "Pleasure Cruiser"!
Wifey B: And you got off nicely, didn't even have to pay a tribute. Sort of a loss leader.
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×