Old 12-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #41
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
"Yacht" is what your wife's divorce lawyer calls your boat in court.
There you go! The BEST explanation yet!!!

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #42
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Gary View Post
This question is often asked so, in the sprit of putting it to rest, I consulted an expert in the form of my 7 year old granddaughter.
" A Yacht has a twirly thing on top, If there is no twirly thing it is a boat"
I hope that this puts the age old question to rest.

Gary,
HaHa I think she has a point.
Most often when I see a boat w a twirly thing (assumably a radar ant) it’s twirling. It may be advertising the obvious that he’s got a big boat .. yacht maybe. Only on rare occasions do I see one not twirling. On my own boat turning up the radar is rather rare, when I need it, may need it or for practice.

And of course the big boat makes a much bigger statement than the little antenna. But perhaps the skipper is making a statement to himself. Kinda like when I was a teenager we’d smoke cigarettes and some used to say it was to impress others. Then someone pointed out that we’d often smoke alone. And another said it was to impress ourselves. It was obviously true.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #43
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Maybe because yachtsman to some come from hollywood portrayals as in Gilligans Island or Caddyshack....

Real watermen dont give a darn.....their water abilities speak for themselves.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I've always thought of a yacht as a power boat with a paid captain and crew, something to be seen on and a marker of your place in society. By contrast, the trawler is crewed by the owner and family with the purpose of escaping from society.

Ted

+100

Now who will post this definition of wisdom on YBW?
Old 12-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #45

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
"Yacht" is what your wife's divorce lawyer calls your boat in court.
I started to laugh then realized that I just went through that.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #46

City: SOBX North Carolina
Boy I am glad I did not title my thread 23' outboard Trawler.

Quote:
But then you’d have been laughed of the dock calling an OB a trawler then. But now I am not laughing. I’m looking down my nose.
Oh boy that stung since I am in the outboard division here. But being under a nose I guess is a tad bit better than being under a thumb.

Quote:
And that’s why guys w OB boats want to be seen as trawler men and as having a trawler.
As long as I am on the water even in a rubber ducky, I am fine with being called a SOB

My first experience was the true old fashioned working-pleasure craft Trawler. She is a Malahide trawler, Ursa Major built for some serious duty, drew 8’ 6”, single Cat with 6” teak decks, IIRC. I hope she is still in the northwest portion of the states and in decent condition.

I then moved along to the Trawler Yacht, the Cheoy Lee 66'. There was one with an enclosed pilot house that was a real cadillac cruising hull.

Of course we now have a lot more availability in the mid range sizes with improved quality from the numerous inferior and stamped out oriental hulls of the 80s in particular. Of course they were priced right by comparison to the limited amounts available in the states. .
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:37 PM   #47
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
One has sails, one pulls nets
A Motor Yacht has a spa on the foredeck and a seemingly endless supply of gin.

I don't know what ours is.
She used to pull nets but now has a spa on the foredeck and a seemingly endless supply of gin.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #48
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Where is Marin when we need him? And Scratchnsaw, Ursa Major is still active in the PNW. I believe someone from U M is a member here.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #49
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Scratch weote;
“Oh boy that stung since I am in the outboard division here. But being under a nose I guess is a tad bit better than being under a thumb.”

It shouldn’t sting at all. I love OB boats and I’d rather have one now. And there’s lots and lots of members here that have non-trawler boats. We all have in-put to the forum on boating. We have lots of threads and topics. Right now there’s one on heated floors in heads. Haven’t clicked on it cause I’m not interested. It may be a yachting question. My outlook on boating is more like some call camp boating. Heated floors is ridiculous to me. So there’s no reason at all for anyone to feel less a member for having a non-trawler boat. So please don’t feel stung. And don’t put heated floors in your OB. Don’t need.

And about the nose thing .. bad wording .. sorry. But calling something other than what it is is pretentious. And I don’t support it.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #50
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Kthoennes - you forgot to include the peaked hat adorned with crossed fouled anchors over a lifering and scrambled eggs larded onto the bill - how else would one know you are a real yachtsman, master and commander of a 40 footer.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #51
Guru

I had a colleague involved in divorce financial proceedings. His wife engaged brokers who inspected his boat and assigned it a "generous" valuation. He immediately gave them a listing to sell it, expressing hope for a great windfall result.
As to variations, country to country, in expression, a yacht here is normally what USA calls a "sailboat". Eg,the Sydney-Hobart race is contested by "yachts". However, and this is where it gets murky,a large power boat(to use a neutral term) may be called a "motor yacht". Especially when advertised for sale, or when reporting scandalous or even just notable events onboard. Even reporting ownership or acquisition may call for "motor yacht". On balance I`d say "motor yacht" suggests "grandiosity" here.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:07 PM   #52
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
When I was on "A" float in the harbor, I had a yacht. Now that I am on "C" float I dropped back to having boat. It all depends on who your neighbors are.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:56 PM   #53
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Tom - reminds me of my father's advice to own the cheapest house in the best neighborhood you can afford.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #54

City: SOBX North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Scratch weote;
“Oh boy that stung since I am in the outboard division here. But being under a nose I guess is a tad bit better than being under a thumb.”

It shouldn’t sting at all. I love OB boats and I’d rather have one now. And there’s lots and lots of members here that have non-trawler boats. We all have in-put to the forum on boating. We have lots of threads and topics. Right now there’s one on heated floors in heads. Haven’t clicked on it cause I’m not interested. It may be a yachting question. My outlook on boating is more like some call camp boating. Heated floors is ridiculous to me. So there’s no reason at all for anyone to feel less a member for having a non-trawler boat. So please don’t feel stung. And don’t put heated floors in your OB. Don’t need.

And about the nose thing .. bad wording .. sorry. But calling something other than what it is is pretentious. And I don’t support it.
I'm cool. I have a long standing joke with many of my opinionated buddies about boats and related "What I should do or what color I should paint it, or what engine I should use".

Well I tell them that when they fund my project, or help fund them, then their opinions matter. They also remind me of the same thing when turn about is the order of the day. We have a great relationship this way.
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #55
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
As Bruce and Pete noted above, in these parts a yacht is a sailboat. And in particular a sailboat over 40', most likely with an owner who turns his nose up at powerboats and won't wave or acknowledge them at all. These guys are often miffed that their wives like and aspire to the comforts power boat owners take for granted.

And trawler is a working commercial fishing boat. The pleasure variety, as in north American usage, basically don't exist.

I own a boat. A power boat, cruiser. If in conversation, a photo on my phone can clarify further. Response is usually Wow! Pictures really are great.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #56
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
SBU22,

I bought that house almost 30 years ago and its still the cheapest house in the neighborhood.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:04 PM   #57
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Boats – Forever!
Of necessity and for simplicity, floating devices were utilized by humans for transportation purposes long before the wheel was devised.
Via human ingenuity, intelligent boat designs became the natural outcropping.
Of necessity and for pleasure, floating devices that carry all manner of items will continue to be one of the most often used and intricately designed transportation devices.
Of pleasure, “power boating” and “sail boating” will always remain as one of the best recreational devices ever available, bar none!
By design, Tollycraft will always be a renowned name in boats.
THE END!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Boats – Forever!

Of necessity and for simplicity, floating devices were utilized by humans for transportation purposes long before the wheel was devised.
Via human ingenuity, intelligent boat designs became the natural outcropping.
Of necessity and for pleasure, floating devices that carry all manner of items will continue to be one of the most often used and intricately designed transportation devices.
Of pleasure, “power boating” and “sail boating” will always remain as one of the best recreational devices ever available, bar none!
By design, Tollycraft will always be a renowned name in boats.

THE END!
: dance:
Old 12-21-2017, 08:51 PM   #59

City: pass a.grill.florida
Gulfstar..props turn 1 way ..deep keel..high props..real trawler luger gen..twin perkins...real trawler..rolls nice in heavy weathet
roofer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:58 AM   #60
FF
Guru

Its A Yacht if the captain wears a Greek Fisherman hat.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote