what makes a trawler suitable for ocean crossings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: While I agree crossing isn't just about the boat, this thread is. You can't complain about that. The title is "what makes a trawler suitable" not "what makes a captain suitable." People just following the thread title. :rofl:
The exam question is missing constraints. What makes a trawler suitable? It takes a much different boat to cross from California to Hawaii in January than it does in October. It takes a much different boat to cross to the Azores in May/June than it does in the winter. It takes a different boat to circumnavigate E to W than the 'wrong' direction W to E.

Passage planning - preparing vessel and crew for anticipated conditions - is and has always been an important part of how to cross an ocean. Access to data and boat building technology is vastly improved, and seamanship skills have likewise evolved. It is a teeter-totter. If you are deficient in one - seamanship skills or a well found vessel, you need more of the other. They cannot be separated as this thread attempts to do. The default seems to be "weather is unpredictable, so you better prepare for near-hurricane conditions without notice." Back in the flat-earth days, this was true. We have evolved since then.

Like many interesting endeavors, the skills are not difficult to achieve to an adequate level, a lifetime to perfect (I'm the former, not the latter). There is a wealth of experience and knowledge out there. Once on the water, it comes together fairly quickly.

Peter

Last edited:
I agree with some of the other postings. I was organising a 600nM trip in a small Pedro Boat (28 feet) across the Bay of Biscay and emailed Pedro and got the following response:

"In the Netherlands we have a saying: Ship is as good as the captain."

So as well as thinking about the boat and its equipment you need to think about you. As the Master you will be responsible for the boat and her crew. So dare I suggest you need to get a few courses and "tickets" plus some experience before you even buy a boat. Once you have these you are not only going to be safer you will probably buy a boat more suited to your needs. I am in the UK where we don't have mandatory licensing of skippers and the like, you do want what you feel is right.

If I can provide pointers please let me know.

Gilbert

I don't mean to be flippant, but these threads always come down to the boat. Only because there is someone out there willing to sell to fear.

You want to cross an ocean?

By far, the biggest thing to reduce risk is to learn about weather and historical weather patterns. Total crickets on the subject on forums like these. I wish I knew why.

Assuming you minimize weather risk, what are your biggest exposures?

- Lightening. A direct strike will crash your electronics even if your engine survived.

- Shipboard fire.

- Fuel contamination

- Mechanical failure.

- Prop fouling

- Strike a object of some sort.

Why do we always talk about The Boat? Because we can write a check and don't have to exercise our brain and develop self sufficiency. The impact of The Perfect Storm is high. But the probability is low, and if you don't have to keep a commercial or race schedule, the probability drops very low - sever decimal points low. But yet the stuff to really worry about - lightning, for example, is rarely discussed because it takes deeper knowledge that doesn't occupy the back cover of a magazine and is rarely written about in feature.

Single engines - everyone talks about the world's fishing fleets with single engines as a hallmark of reliability. You know what? Those boats break down all the time. But the people aboard know how to fix them.

This isn't about the boat. This is about seamanship skills and mechanical skills.

Rant done. Apologies upfront.

Peter

The reason I asked about "the boat" when starting this was only because I've read so many mentions of just that.
But my intuition tells me that your points are among the more fundamental.

Through the run of this thread, I keep having a sense that the definition of ocean crosser / passage maker is different for different folks....and that situation matters fundamentally to the question.

Am I carefully waiting for the right time to make a single shot across the Atlantic....or am I planning a long multi-month or longer passage around the horn...or a cruise to Antarctica and explore around it for a season?

Aren't those very different situations?

Regardless, I'm enjoying the discussion and getting a lot to think about....

Buying a boat like a Nordhavn reduces risk of surviving really bad weather. If you can afford it, and it gives you peace of mind, great. But in many (most?) cases, you're buying very expensive Meteorite Insurance. Just know that while it reduces risk of unexpected trip-termination due to weather, risk of trip-interruption may be elevated due to failure of the many complex systems. Owners of these boats spend a lot of time in ports waiting for either parts or knowledgeable service people, or both.

Like Brooksie who owns a sistership to my Willard 36, I do not believe Willards are generally well suited to sustained ocean crossings. Would I cross an ocean with mine? Hard for me to imagine because I have no personal desire to do so. It's not a weather thing, there is just so much to see along North/Central America and Caribbean that I just don't want to go to the South Pacific or The Med. If I were to chose a boat for that, would be a long, narrow boat not unlike the FPB but with simple systems and a mechanical diesel and perhaps a reasonable sail plan for get-somewhere propulsion. Unfortunately, once I got anywhere, It would be expensive to berth, expensive to haul, and wouldn't fit under many bridges so The Loop is out. I'd now have a boat that was good for the 2% of the time when I was underway.

I'm guessing most of the folks on a forum like this are somewhere in their late 50's to early 70s, with newbies being in the lower age group. I can tell you that the biggest risk to a cruising dream - by far, is passage of time. You can agonize over the perfect boat for years - many years if you include accumulating enough wealth to afford the perfect boat as defined by a lot of pundits who all read the same marketing materials. Or you can take a more focused and targeted view of risk and put your effort into mitigating more foreseeable risks than encountering an un-forecast hurricane in the midst of historically calm weather season. As said before, information has evolved since the flat-earth days.

Peter

Last edited:
IF you really want to cross the ocean either fly or take a cruise ship over.
Once you landed, buy, lease or rent a boat suitable to your cruise area. Once finished, return the boat or sell it. I guess that last option, if you bought the boat, is to ship the boat back home.

I agree. Two hypothetical examples. A knowledgeable, experienced, and well prepared owner of an older trawler (say, a KK42 or Willard 40) vs a newbie owner of a N60. Which has the better chance of a successful crossing? I'd put my money on experience and knowledge of the captain vs the raw purchase awe of a boat. The nordhavn is more likely to survive adverse weather conditions, but due to lack of experience is more likely to experience such conditions, and is less likely to know how to respond accordingly to weather and other issues. .

Peter

I would say they have both have an equal chance for a successful crossing, the newbie just hedged his “bet” to make up for a lack of experience.

But as to what makes a trawler suitable for an Ocean crossing, the first line item is the Captain, then the list begins after he is identified and what his experience level/needs/wants are.

A great read is the thread of a current Nordhavn owner and his previous Northwest exploits in a Bayliner 4087 double cabin motoryacht. Not one you or I would typically choose for exposed ocean cruising but in the hands of a talented Captain, it has successfully cruised in conditions that most people would not attempt for that model.

https://mvdirona.com/tag/bayliner-4087/

I’m a newbie compared to some here but have been doing ocean passages for quite awhile. I’ve commented on the importance of understanding weather, being an experienced and competent captain as well as crew selection. But the OP was about the boat not these other issues. Yes, they are key. Yes, only experience teaches. Courses, having tickets or coastal experience is meaningless in my view. However, there’s a contra positive. We try to leave with 3 and one newbie so the sport continues. However any of those 3 could serve as captain. As regards the newbie rather have a woman with no confidence in her skill set than a 6 pack captain with 20 years behind him. The woman is more likely to listen and learn. Less likely to have a “better” way and not follow my protocols to the letter. Also more likely to ask for help if she doesn’t understand something rather than messing with it and breaking it and more likely to wake me if she feels a vibration or hears a new noise. Find the worst crew are US self attested coastal captains. There are 10 ways to do anything on a boat. 9 of them are wrong. You can be doing something which isn’t the best way for decades. Important to remember that and learn from your crew or teach your captain.

One of the reasons we’re switching from sail to power is that we expect to budget about the same annual expense. Have had multiple cockpit conversations with people doing a similar program as ours. We pulled down our pants and talked reality with multiple cruising couples. On a cruising boat the vast majority of systems are the same.
Watermaker, heat, AC, frig/freezer, electronics, communications, tools, spare list is even quite similar and a bit cheaper for power, entertainment, laundry, safety etc. Cruising costs are the same. Customs/immigration, flights home, food, cabs,or rentals , bars/restaurants etc.
Yes, you liberate more hydrocarbons but if you buy fuel in places like Trinidad, Grenada, Mexico you can cut those costs some. Still, I don’t think people realize the expenses of sail. Friend on sistership just bought a new main ( $22,000) and Solent ( $8,500). Unlike coastal sails these see UV and 20kts day after day. You can expect $1-2k/ year and $30-50k every 7-8 years on a blue water boat that actively cruises. Add in rigging, deck hardware service and replacement and then running rigging replacement you’re quite comparable to annual costs of power. Hull services (anodes, bottom cleaning and paint) and wax/polish/wood servicing cost are the same.
Totally agree many go sail, power then RV as they age. However, even in that group some don’t give up on blue water. We’ve been searching for a decent N40,43 or 47. Agree very few have ever done passages over 1000nm but for many a FD makes excellent sense. Just long coastal jumps requires a stout hull, excellent range and creature comforts. Folks make mistakes when their tired, stressed and uncomfortable. A cascade of mistakes it what leads to serious difficulties. It’s after days of moderate conditions of 2-3 m swells with wind waves on top that people fatigue. Think survival weather is often overstated and it’s the force 5-8 that wears you down. Think it’s here that boat selection and outfitting makes the biggest difference on a day to day. Similarly being 50 nm off course when mid ocean really doesn’t matter. It’s only coastal that your navigation needs to be spot on. Radar and AIS have been game changers. But having done Marion Bermuda with a cheap plastic sextant and a wristwatch believe the over reliance on screens as a safety requirement is misdirected.

ANY boat, sailboat or trawler can make it across the Pacific and or the Atlantic ocean. Put it on a freighter and meet it at the other end.
IF you fill the fuel tanks and load it with dry stores/canned goods, before loading it, you can save a few bucks too.
IF you do the research, I suspect you will discover many large boat (60-80+ feet) are shipped over.

Seems to me a rather more appropriate question would be what characteristics contribute to or detract from seaworthiness for offshore work anywhere relative to the size vessel in question. In fact just for fun I may post that question, or did I?

Dan most mega yacht sail powers (not sails) when on passage. It’s both less expensive and safer. In fact insurance vendors prefer the vessels aren’t sailed.
Most long term cruisers I’ve known prefer to go on their own bottom. Their boats are purpose built for that activity and they enjoy it. Money is a near toss if using hired crew but usually a bit cheaper to not ship. Definitely cheaper to go on your own bottom without pros even if insurance riders required.

Characteristics seem straight forward.
Adequate payload to provide adequate reserves of fuel, food and water to complete passage. This can be achieved by FD where additional weight doesn’t impede speed nor performance nor safety. Or extremely easily driven hull with lighter weight allowing shorter transit time.
Scantlings and design sufficient to ensure no structural failures, down flooding nor free green water (or internal fluids) effects decreasing stability.
Interior design to allow all activities of daily living regardless of sea state ( sleeping, eating/preparing food and drink, hygiene, running the boat etc.)
Belt and suspenders for all key systems (propulsion, nav, food, water, maintenance of human temperatures, dryness, ventilation etc.)
Adequate ride in a seaway as to minimize fatigue, risk of injury, stress, seasickness.....
Adequate Gz curve.
It’s often said “you can’t buy safety”. Please note the stress in the above list on keeping crew safe, healthy, happy with their head in the game. Yes endurance in survival conditions should be considered but so many boats we’ve seen aren’t suitable because they’re just not livable on passage. We’ve always had large flat screen TV. We may put a chart or weather map up on it and do watch Captain Ron once a year as well as a rare movie waiting for a window. But have come to believe there’s a inverse relationship between size and number of TVs and suitability of the boat for passage.

Last edited:
So maybe the question could be re-phrased as to what makes a trawler suitable for crossing the Atlantic or Pacific or Indian or Arctic or Southern Ocean, they all have specific requirements, so pick one and see where it takes you boat wise?

IF you really want to cross the ocean either fly or take a cruise ship over.
Once you landed, buy, lease or rent a boat suitable to your cruise area. Once finished, return the boat or sell it. I guess that last option, if you bought the boat, is to ship the boat back home.

Working on the assumption that these places have suitable boats to rent or buy or even an airport or cruise ship terminal.
Most places we have been to in prior vessels don't.

And ship a boat back?
I'm guessing you haven't run the numbers.

Buying a boat like a Nordhavn reduces risk of surviving really bad weather. If you can afford it, and it gives you peace of mind, great. But in many (most?) cases, you're buying very expensive Meteorite Insurance.

Wifey B: I'm not sure how much buying a boat like a Nordhavn reduces risks. Small Nordhavns don't inherently do so, in my opinion, vs several other brands out there. One thing I see on Nordhavn is in general a more experienced owner and many have cruised long distances by decade so I'd argue there's as much distinction in Nordhavn owners as in the boats. :ermm:

There seems to be an abundance of conjecture and a dearth of useful information on this thread. Talking about what ocean or what brand boat, imagining fifteen different emergency scenarios or injecting operator capability isn't really addressing the question. Fact is most recreational trawlers are not nor can be capable of safely going far offshore. Certainly there are some but of those that wouldn't terrify most peoples checking account there are very few.

. Fact is most recreational trawlers are not nor can be capable of safely going far offshore. Certainly there are some but of those that wouldn't terrify most peoples checking account there are very few.

They need not be expensive
We took a 48ft ex cray/shark boat with a single 855 natural on a 1200nm run out into the South Pacific to Espiritu Santo
That boat cost under $40,000.
Ideal boat for all conditions? Nope
But for that particular trip it was damn near perfect.
There were zero issues and we picked a perfect weather window with conditions like this for the entire run

Bottom pic was the weekend prior to leaving with a bit of gear aboard

Attachments

• kianga.jpg
    kianga.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 20
  • pink05032007 011~01.jpg
    pink05032007 011~01.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Wifey B: I'm not sure how much buying a boat like a Nordhavn reduces risks. Small Nordhavns don't inherently do so, in my opinion, vs several other brands out there. One thing I see on Nordhavn is in general a more experienced owner and many have cruised long distances by decade so I'd argue there's as much distinction in Nordhavn owners as in the boats. :ermm:
The PAE target demographic may have changed, but when I was active, including a regular presenter at every Trawler Fest for a few years, the typical buyer was a recently empty-nest couple in the 60-ish range. Often had their own business and had worked their butts off. Kids college education has been funded. Suddenly they realize their financial needs are met - "Honey, let's buy a boat!" comes up. Very little prior boating experience but a lot of life experience. They've hired professionals all their lives and are comfortable with the PAE approach to long term sales. It's possible I mostly met newbies due to the work I did and that was the tip of the iceberg with most others being extremely experienced owners. But I did meet a lot of newbies who chose Nordhavn due to risk mitigation thus had both Naiads and Paravanes and such

I used to say "the hard part is affording a boat. Congrats on that. Learning how to operate one is easier on comparison."

Now, I will freely admit there are some extremely knowledgeable Nordhavn owners out there, especially the 2.0 crowd like Twisted Tree, MV Dirona, and Ken Williams. Folks like these are zen-gurus on boat systems.

But the smaller size boats seem to have a mix of new entrants and converted sailors. At least back in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Judging from what I can gleen on TF and other internet sources, doesn't sound like it's changed a lot.

Peter

There seems to be an abundance of conjecture and a dearth of useful information on this thread. Talking about what ocean or what brand boat, imagining fifteen different emergency scenarios or injecting operator capability isn't really addressing the question. Fact is most recreational trawlers are not nor can be capable of safely going far offshore. Certainly there are some but of those that wouldn't terrify most peoples checking account there are very few.

Capability is a different metric then risk or terrifying experiences.

These production boats did it with some mixture of both:

https://books.google.com/books?id=9... crosses the atlantic boating article&f=false

Cheoy Lee 40 Long Range Cruiser

Love them or hate them, Nordhavn set the bar and their record/miles under hulls can’t be disputed.

Peter do you think that OCC, SDSA members and others with tens of thousands of blue water experience have a small step up in transferring to power from sail? Do you think they at least some skills and know what’s involved in being successful passage makers?
Could care little about what brand it is. Do care a lot about the what was mentioned in post#130. Is this wrong thinking?

The PAE target demographic may have changed, but when I was active, including a regular presenter at every Trawler Fest for a few years, the typical buyer was a recently empty-nest couple in the 60-ish range. Often had their own business and had worked their butts off. Kids college education has been funded. Suddenly they realize their financial needs are met - "Honey, let's buy a boat!" comes up. Very little prior boating experience but a lot of life experience. They've hired professionals all their lives and are comfortable with the PAE approach to long term sales. It's possible I mostly met newbies due to the work I did and that was the tip of the iceberg with most others being extremely experienced owners. But I did meet a lot of newbies who chose Nordhavn due to risk mitigation thus had both Naiads and Paravanes and such

I used to say "the hard part is affording a boat. Congrats on that. Learning how to operate one is easier on comparison."

Now, I will freely admit there are some extremely knowledgeable Nordhavn owners out there, especially the 2.0 crowd like Twisted Tree, MV Dirona, and Ken Williams. Folks like these are zen-gurus on boat systems.

But the smaller size boats seem to have a mix of new entrants and converted sailors. At least back in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Judging from what I can gleen on TF and other internet sources, doesn't sound like it's changed a lot.

Peter

Wifey B: Let me rephrase, the ones who use them to cross oceans seem to have more skill and experience. Also have bigger boats. :D

Peter do you think that OCC, SDSA members and others with tens of thousands of blue water experience have a small step up in transferring to power from sail? Do you think they at least some skills and know what’s involved in being successful passage makers?
Could care little about what brand it is. Do care a lot about the what was mentioned in post#130. Is this wrong thinking?
You have me at a disadvantage. I don't know what OCC and SDSA are. A Google search shows some sailing accreditation programs but I have no idea if that's correct.

I agree with some of the other postings. I was organising a 600nM trip in a small Pedro Boat (28 feet) across the Bay of Biscay and emailed Pedro and got the following response:

"In the Netherlands we have a saying: Ship is as good as the captain."

So as well as thinking about the boat and its equipment you need to think about you. As the Master you will be responsible for the boat and her crew. So dare I suggest you need to get a few courses and "tickets" plus some experience before you even buy a boat. Once you have these you are not only going to be safer you will probably buy a boat more suited to your needs. I am in the UK where we don't have mandatory licensing of skippers and the like, you do want what you feel is right.

If I can provide pointers please let me know.

Gilbert
Seems Off topic to me. The OP asked about Trawlers, not skippers, which is a subject for another thread, IMHO.

Last edited:
Wifey B: Let me rephrase, the ones who use them to cross oceans seem to have more skill and experience. Also have bigger boats. :D
The people who actively cruise Nordhavns are incredible. But I have to observe, they tend to be quite well healed. I run in a different crowd. I struggle to afford a mechanic just to show up and spend an afternoon turning wrenches, let alone pay for a 2 weeks time just so he can fly to my boat in some far off land.

I tried to be fairly specific that my observations were of smaller boats. Honestly, I struggle to call a three quarter of a million dollar boat entry level, but that's what they are in that market.

Ocean Cruising Club. Need a documented small boat passage of >1500nm and a sponsor to be put up for membership. Started in England but now world wide with port captains every where. Allows networking and education to local resources when you hit a new to you port. Burgee is the flying fish

Salty Dawg Sailing Association. Sponsors a spring and fall rally to eastern Caribbean from US east coast. Usually Norfolk to BVI or Antigua in the fall and back in the spring. We’ve done it multiple times but several times leaving from Newport. Comparable to the ARC(Atlantic rally for cruisers) Caribbean 1500. Although mostly sail several power boats (usually Norhavns or the like) have joined and done SDRs. Burgee is a Dawgs face with eye patch.

Admit it’s a small community but there is an active community of primarily ex blue water sailors who have switched to power and continue to run back and forth to the Caribbean with the seasons. Norhavn under 55’, LRCs of various sorts in low to mid 50s, one offs and steel seem to be most common in those I’ve run across. Know of several pretty old Dashew 64s as well doing this activity. Most are mom and pop with tens of thousands of blue water miles under their keel. Very few are credit card captains or 1%ers. Just folks who like to cruise and be as self sufficient as possible.

Peter there’s poseurs in any field of endeavor. Suspect you ran across quite a few in your professional life. But there’s a group of self effacing people who just want to get it done and live their lives as they see fit. They tend to be sponges for information that may help them down the road. You have a lot of knowledge and can teach me a lot of useful things. Please continue to have that as one of your focuses.

Ocean Cruising Club. Need a documented small boat passage of >1500nm and a sponsor to be put up for membership. Started in England but now world wide with port captains every where. Allows networking and education to local resources when you hit a new to you port. Burgee is the flying fish

Salty Dawg Sailing Association. Sponsors a spring and fall rally to eastern Caribbean from US east coast. Usually Norfolk to BVI or Antigua in the fall and back in the spring. We’ve done it multiple times but several times leaving from Newport. Comparable to the ARC(Atlantic rally for cruisers) Caribbean 1500. Although mostly sail several power boats (usually Norhavns or the like) have joined and done SDRs. Burgee is a Dawgs face with eye patch.

Admit it’s a small community but there is an active community of primarily ex blue water sailors who have switched to power and continue to run back and forth to the Caribbean with the seasons. Norhavn under 55’, LRCs of various sorts in low to mid 50s, one offs and steel seem to be most common in those I’ve run across. Know of several pretty old Dashew 64s as well doing this activity. Most are mom and pop with tens of thousands of blue water miles under their keel. Very few are credit card captains or 1%ers. Just folks who like to cruise and be as self sufficient as possible.

Peter there’s poseurs in any field of endeavor. Suspect you ran across quite a few in your professional life. But there’s a group of self effacing people who just want to get it done and live their lives as they see fit. They tend to be sponges for information that may help them down the road. You have a lot of knowledge and can teach me a lot of useful things. Please continue to have that as one of your focuses.

Ah yes. Forgot about those groups - familiar with the OCC, not so much Salty Dawg. Different ocean. The sound like my type. A more pragmatic approach - "I know what the instructions say, but here's how it really works in real life....."

BTW - I didn't bump into too many posers. Vast majority of people I met were at TrawlerFests. People I generally met were quite candid and honest with where they were in their boating path, even [most] of the vendors I learned a bunch from folks like Bruce Kessler, the grand pooh-bah of trawlering. And of course Chuck Hawley, who is one of the most interesting people I've ever met....boating or otherwise.

Thanks hippo.

Last edited:
Speaking to the OP will say in my limited exposure have not seen any SD doing this activity and only one KK expedition 55. Even for island hopping from southern Florida doing the gentleman’s way due to many factors FD seems better suited for long term cruising like this. Basic problem is weight and space. In order to have some measure of self sufficiency you want extremely large tankage, spares, tools and creature comforts. It’s very different living on a boat outside the comfort zone of your home cruising grounds. It’s a big deal knowing how to fix things or finding someone who can. You don’t want to be camping but rather have a comfortable safe home. Where do you put all this stuff without effecting trim (and safety)? How do you make things as bulletproof as possible? How do you make things as easy as possible. Deck bladders are cumbersome and dangerous. Maintenance is a never ending chore. You spend very little time moving so ground tackle, dinghy handling (with prevention of theft), freezer not frig space is more important, as is battery draw. The demands for a traveling live aboard are different enough that it seems people are drawn to FD over SD having nothing to do with passage making but rather the day to day when having that additional payload is key.

Last edited:
With the weight capacity thing (for fuel, etc.) it becomes more of an issue the smaller the boat. So as you get smaller, you're more likely to be forced into an FD design to have adequate payload for long distances and long periods of self-sufficiency. Once you're up to the 55 - 60 foot range, some SD designs start to have enough payload for long distances. See people who have taken a Fleming across the Atlantic for an example of that.

In general, you don't necessarily need the most capable boat in the world for a lot of things. Once you get to a point, more capability is buying you one of a couple of things: either more safety margin for what you're planning to do, or the ability to go somewhere safely during a wider range of seasons and conditions.

Capability is a different metric then risk or terrifying experiences.

These production boats did it with some mixture of both:

https://books.google.com/books?id=9... crosses the atlantic boating article&f=false

Cheoy Lee 40 Long Range Cruiser

Love them or hate them, Nordhavn set the bar and their record/miles under hulls can’t be disputed.

Yeah I believe that's why I said it, the only real issue here is seaworthiness and what characteristics provide it. Touting one manufacturers boat or another doesn't really address the issue in any meaningful way, nor does pointing out crew variability. I'm talking about what makes a boat able to venture anywhere on the world's oceans at any time, and frankly I've seen a lot of weather that I doubt a Nordhavn would be my choice of vessel. Not that there's anything wrong with a Nordhavn it's just not relevant to my point.

With the weight capacity thing (for fuel, etc.) it becomes more of an issue the smaller the boat. So as you get smaller, you're more likely to be forced into an FD design to have adequate payload for long distances and long periods of self-sufficiency. Once you're up to the 55 - 60 foot range, some SD designs start to have enough payload for long distances. See people who have taken a Fleming across the Atlantic for an example of that.

In general, you don't necessarily need the most capable boat in the world for a lot of things. Once you get to a point, more capability is buying you one of a couple of things: either more safety margin for what you're planning to do, or the ability to go somewhere safely during a wider range of seasons and conditions.

You're right, my small FD boat has a range of 3000km with the permanent tankage. How far can most boats go on 150 gallons?

You're right, my small FD boat has a range of 3000km with the permanent tankage. How far can most boats go on 150 gallons?

It varies a lot depending on the hull, engines, and speed desired. With the current fuel-sucking gassers, 150 gallons will get me about 80nm at 17 kts or about 180nm at 6.5 kts. With modern diesels at 6.5 kts, my same hull would make it about 450 - 480nm with that same 150 gallons of fuel. At 17 kts with the diesels, I'd be looking at somewhere around 150nm from that load of fuel.

Plenty of the boats on this site can manage 3 nmpg at a good slow cruise, many could stretch to 4 nmpg if they slowed down a bit further.

It varies a lot depending on the hull, engines, and speed desired. With the current fuel-sucking gassers, 150 gallons will get me about 80nm at 17 kts or about 180nm at 6.5 kts. With modern diesels at 6.5 kts, my same hull would make it about 450 - 480nm with that same 150 gallons of fuel. At 17 kts with the diesels, I'd be looking at somewhere around 150nm from that load of fuel.

Plenty of the boats on this site can manage 3 nmpg at a good slow cruise, many could stretch to 4 nmpg if they slowed down a bit further.

Mine is at a 6kt cruise, I'm not sure what I'd get if I slowed to 5kt, probably 25 kmpg.

Back
Top Bottom