Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
What an interesting boat, very capable, stable platform - great lines too!

Well, its about time that I start another build. As if I am not busy enough bringing new life in back to the Tolly I have decided to start my next move in the boat building business. My primary focus is going to be PNW proven platforms. I will be building these one boat at a time - potentially two as things get moving. Once you lay up epoxy, paint, varnish your done for the day so having two at one time would be a better use of time in the shop.

Here is a link to my next build - Bill Childs
I spent sometime with Bill this last week and a Bartender - it's a sexy, timeless boat that I am excited to be building!

I will be constructing it in a work boat fashion - ie this is not going to be a museum piece. I will probably paint all surfaces with the exception of the dash - saving that to be varnished as a showcase.
In addition I will be creating a website for the business with slides of the project as it progresses. Wood is going to be ordered in short order. I will be putting in about five to six hours per day so my hope is that we will have something to look at nearly daily. Unfortunately the wood will be about a two weeks out as I am ordering from out of town. That's ok as it will give me the time I need to set up shop and prepare for making some saw dust.
As always comments, suggestions, and what not are always welcomed.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
What size Bartender?
I have the plans for the 29 footer but never built it.
Ted
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Guru

20.5. Down the road if I move to a larger shop that might work. For now, about 22 would be max.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
Old 03-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
It seems that there have been a few changes or mods over the years.
When I bought my plans from George the only sizes he had were 19, 22, 26, 29 and 32 footers. The 32 was twin engine.
Ted
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The Bartender is well liked and looks nice. Probably will be a great build and very saleable when done.

I personally don't care for the flattish bottom and wasted space aft. Don't see enough advantage to the pointy stern. It's a planing hull just like if it had a square stern. Could be a slight advantage in following seas though.

Are the sharp bends at both ends double planked?

It will probably weigh less than my 18.5' FG boat.

Do you plan a build thread? Love to watch the build threads on BoatDesign.net

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
Guru

A video from Youtube of the boat I am building,

Check out Bill Childs other videos - looks like a very capable little boat.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #7
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
It's a nice looking boat. But I also don't understand the pointed stern. Since its a planing boat the phony double end does not serve any purchase other than making the aft end impractical.
If it's for the pnw, are you going to give it canvas or a proper pilothouse or something else?
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Ouch. It's a bartender. It is meant for crossing river bars (in both directions) hence the pointy stern. The design was used by the USCG for many years. They are beautiful boats and have a incredible reputation for seaworthyness in the PNW.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Ouch. It's a bartender. It is meant for crossing river bars (in both directions) hence the pointy stern. The design was used by the USCG for many years. They are beautiful boats and have a incredible reputation for seaworthyness in the PNW.
Are you saying the boat is designed to cross bars like the Columbia River bar? When you say it's meant to cross them in both directions you mean in and out of the river, not in forwards and backwards. (I'm assuming) Is the pointy stern is to help breaking waves from astern pass under the boat? Or is it really meant to cross a breaking bar in reverse?
Old 03-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Atleast you could back down on a fish without having to worry about taking on large amount of water in cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails
image-530151570.jpg  
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
Guru

I a building the boat not for myself but for a customer - the final fit out will be determined by the buyer. I might add a bimini - but beyond that I wouldn't add any more canvas. After this build I'll be looking at an enclosed salon, something like
Devlin Designing Boat Builders - Dunlin 22 Cruiser Plans
but that's down the road. Right now I'll enjoy the Bartender.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #12

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: Shin Shing, Eagle 35'
I think it is a beautiful boat and the lines are cool! I guess I have always liked canoe sterns though. With so many typical "molded" boats it is nice to see different lines and construction. I would guess many people would look at my current boat and not like the lines as I do. But maybe it's like women, there's one out there that just catches your eye!
Jbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #13
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Bartenders are highly regarded for their good looks and seaworthyness. It's a good choice for a wood boat build.

In the video you can see and hear the hard riding characteristics of the flatish bottom. To be seaworthy one would look for good directional stability and I don't see it in the Bartender. Sometimes the lack of a quality like that can save the day on big waves too. The big Eskimo skin boats are seaworthy too but lack comfort. Same for dories. I was hot to build a flat bottom boat designed by Atkin. http://http://www.atkinboatplans.com...rs/Marcia.html Long flat bottomed boats are better riding than short ones but it would be hard riding for sure and I was ready to accept that as part of the package and lots of people do that with Bartender. It's got a cute name too and people respond positively to a cute name.

I think there is/was some discussion on the Bartender in BoatDesign.net

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
I a building the boat not for myself but for a customer - the final fit out will be determined by the buyer. I might add a bimini - but beyond that I wouldn't add any more canvas. After this build I'll be looking at an enclosed salon, something like
Devlin Designing Boat Builders - Dunlin 22 Cruiser Plans
but that's down the road. Right now I'll enjoy the Bartender.
Now that's a boat I can warm up to!
Old 03-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #15
Guru

Here's my facebook page for the new business if anyone wants to follow through FB.

https://www.facebook.com/PNWboatworks
Old 03-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: NH
Good luck with your build. I love the Bartenders. There is a current build on-going at the Glen L forum you may find interesting and informative. That hull has been tried and tested in some very precarious situations and seems to speak for herself. And she looks good doing it which is a bonus.
Jobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
The Bartenders were able to run in seas that would cause other blunt stern vessels to broach. They were often used in conditions that gave others fits. They were not cruisers like most of us have but dedicated fishermens boats where they had to get in and out of a harbour with a bar that often had rough conditions. The pointy tail end limited the 'cruisers space' so would not catch on with the folk that wanted a lot of living space.
That's what I remember.

Google Calkins Bartender
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote