Old 06-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #41

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
One day when our dog was just a puppy and we took him out on the boat, he brought along a small racquetball as a toy. We were doing a slow cruise, and to keep him entertained were playing a small game of catch, where we'd drop the ball into the cockpit, and he'd bring it back and drop it next to one of us sitting on the built-in seats.

At one point he drops the ball, it bounces, and it drops overboard. We saw it happen, and turned around to retrieve the ball. We were in no hurry -- the ball floated after all. Unfortunately, his sharp puppy teeth had cut into the ball, and it quickly filled up with water and sank.

Now, we've all dropped things overboard, and we know they are gone. Puppies don't necessarily understand this.

For the rest of the evening he was forlornly looking out at the water trying to find his ball.
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #42

City: Hendersonville, NC
Vessel Name: Hot Shot
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
My dinghy line caught the latch of my stern rope hatch and pulled it off the boat while at anchor in 40 feet of water in as fast current. I saw it slide under the surface thinking "float baby float" but it sank to the depths.
It's was for my Mainship 390. Builder is out of business. Parts not available.
$750 for a custom fabricator to come to the boat and make a new hatch.
Just damn.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #43
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
My dinghy line caught the latch of my stern rope hatch and pulled it off the boat while at anchor in 40 feet of water in as fast current. I saw it slide under the surface thinking "float baby float" but it sank to the depths.
It's was for my Mainship 390. Builder is out of business. Parts not available.
$750 for a custom fabricator to come to the boat and make a new hatch.
Just damn.
Wow! That's more costly than my $400 cash loss in #1 post. BTW... the money clip was sterling silver from Thailand... being as it was a gift from son, that bothered me as much as the $$$ . Couple weeks later exact duplicate clip came in the mail. Couldn't believe it. Toby had purchased two clips and had held on to one for years. Good ending to a $$$ costly story! It's in my pocket at this minute. From that event I learned to NOT put anything else in there besides the clip and cash!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #44
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: However, most of my clothing takes very little space.
Wifey B, my mind is just running wild with visions created by that statement. Thanks. You just made my day.

Now I'm sure you know the TF rule--without photos it didn't happen!
Old 06-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #45
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
My wife's suitcase. We were departing on a long weekend along the coast. I was handing her groceries, ice chest and then her suitcase....I had no idea how heavy this was (felt at least 100lbs) . As I tried desperately to swing it on board it slipped right out of my hands into the water! Retrieved it as quick as I could but it really is surprising how fast water can enter a floating suitcase. All her clothes, her make-up, shoes, hats, and electrical stuff soaked! Needless to say I had a very upset wife on board. Hung clothes and everything else all along the sundeck. Lost just a few items with the wind blowing through the back deck.
Which brings me to a rather sexist question. I can't believe all women bring their closet and bathroom with them on 4 day boat trips? Apologies ladies!
I have yet to bring makeup on my boat.
I don't even have a hair dryer on my boat.
So far...being on the boat is being au naturale.
Of course, that would change if we ever actually go anywhere.

But to the point of the thread - an iPhone 6, a shoe, and a shirt. We retrieved the shoe and shirt with a dip net.
And we've only owned the boat for less than 2 months!
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #46
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Wow! That's more costly than my $400 cash loss in #1 post. BTW... the money clip was sterling silver from Thailand... being as it was a gift from son, that bothered me as much as the $$$ . Couple weeks later exact duplicate clip came in the mail. Couldn't believe it. Toby had purchased two clips and had held on to one for years. Good ending to a $$$ costly story! It's in my pocket at this minute. From that event I learned to NOT put anything else in there besides the clip and cash!

Awwww....that's a great story!
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:58 PM   #47
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Cellphone(s), binoculars, glasses. My son lost a nice camera. But the worst was many years ago, a very special knife slipped out of my pocket while I was fishing off the dock in a freshwater lake in the Selkirk. I dove on that one for quite a while but couldn't retrieve it. My wife looked in horror at me, then helped me pull off a dozen or so leaches.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:23 PM   #48

City: Kiln,MS
Lol at the stories.

Lol We (my dad,brother and me) managed to lose a 7 1/2 hp Johnson twice. It flipped off the back of our gheenoe both times. We were lucky enough to pull it back up by the fuel hose both times.
Thank fully i have only donated a few sockets to the bilge of a shrimp boat.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:23 PM   #49
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
In keeping with this thread, I think y'all will appreciate this true story of a young sailboat owner's adventures with the magnet he was sure would recover all kinds of treasures that had been lost overboard at the dock over the years. He posted it on sailboatowners.com at least 10 years ago...I saved it. Here is....

The Wild Magnet
by Peter Roach

....In the end I finally got the magnet correctly tied to the line and on the bottom of the lake. After about an hour, with no beer remaining in my cooler and with only a small audience, I finally gave up on recapturing any treasure. The only thing the magnet was able to find was a great deal of rust shavings. I know the bottom of the lake under my boat is littered with all type of hardware, tools, coins, etc so I was amazed when the magnet failed to bring up even one small item. Maybe the fish are calmly swimming around with sunglasses, or they have constructed their own secret city out of all of the spare parts.
Peggie, someone needed to tell the fellow that good quality stainless steel, the stuff most valuable things lost overboard are made of, (in case of glasses usually titanium, these days), is not magnetic, anyway...

But it made a good story...
Old 06-29-2016, 10:54 PM   #50

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
last time we dropped something was our port side stabilizer fin

free nut

but at the end we pick up with our own crane and put on front deck to go back home
lucky day

some days after we put back on water but was nightmare fin was empty of water and floating could you imagine to bring down of water to put back on his axle !!!

Do you know the solution to Loctite underwater ?
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:04 AM   #51
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Wifey B, my mind is just running wild with visions created by that statement. Thanks. You just made my day.

Now I'm sure you know the TF rule--without photos it didn't happen!
Wifey B: And I'm sure you know it won't happen.

Just saying short skirts and shorts and light shirts take virtually no space. Mens shirts and shorts or pants are bulkier. Can pack two of my outfits in the space of one of his.

Now for the start of this trip, different story as it was cold cold cold, so did have to pack other stuff. But warm now.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:51 AM   #52

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
Two stories to share.

Early in his career, son the yacht broker was helping deliver a recently sold Defever with new owner from Destin, FL to NY. They pulled into a marine on Captiva, South Seas I think, and Will, wearing a bathing suit, went aft to handle the stern line, owner at the helm. Now Will was old enough to know better, but as they were snugging up to a side tie, he placed a hand on the piling and jumped from the aft rail to the dock; but the owner had put the boat in gear at that precise moment to pull slightly forward. This placed Will, now airborne, a little closer to the piling than he had intended. His trajectory placed him in close vicinity of the cleat bolted to the piling, which caught his shorts and removed them as he fortunately came down on the dock. Apparently he "stuck" the landing as several bystanders cheered. His shorts ended up in the water, along with the cell phone and digital camera that were in the pockets.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:59 AM   #53

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
I dropped the dinghy overboard.
My wife and I were lowering the new dink and just as the Livingston with a brand new 6 h.p. 4 stroke had cleared the rail, the cable parted dropping the dinghy towards th water. One of the hulls, it is a cat, caught the spring line and the boat flipped so it landed upside down, the boat floating at the surface with the engine shaft sticking up like a periscope. We were at our dock, so upon retrieval, I was able to disassemble the engine, with the help of a neighbor, which still works like new. It helps to have a retired machinist as a neighbor.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:24 PM   #54
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Last Friday we had just secured the new solar panels to my hardtop at days end. The sparky left and I took a shower, leaving a 10 ft ally ladder in place from the boat deck to the hardtop. Just as I was finishing my shower I heard quite a lot of noise on the boat deck, and assumed the wind gusts were blowing the ladder around a bit. No problem, I would secure it after getting dressed. So I go up onto the boat deck, and ladder is not to be seen anywhere. Peer over the edge, its not on the dock either.

A good look around the next morning and i just had to accept that it had not just blown off the boat deck it had also managed to then slip between the boat and the dock to land in the mud. OK, time to put a line on a reef anchor and trawl the bottom. Eventually, after moving the boat sideways about 4 ft I managed to snag the ladder and retrieve it. I'm still amazed that the wind gusts were strong enough to blow it off the boat.

Now, in terms of me dropping/losing stuff: just a cheap pair of glasses, a hat and a few fasteners so far.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:54 PM   #55
Veteran Member

City: Calif Delta
Vessel Model: 34' Tollycraft Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post

The Wild Magnet
by Peter Roach

I bought a 150 lb magnet.
Thanks for that, I could hardly read this without busting out in laughter.

MB
Old 06-30-2016, 09:03 PM   #56
Guru

Wifey B: Does losing something water skiing count?

I did when I fell one time.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:01 PM   #57
Art
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: Does losing something water skiing count?

I did when I fell one time.

I ask respectfully - bottom, top or both?? Aw shucks... maybe it was just the nail polish on your toes!
Old 06-30-2016, 10:31 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I ask respectfully - bottom, top or both?? Aw shucks... maybe it was just the nail polish on your toes!
Wifey B: Top.

They say you're not supposed to wear bikini's to waterski, but I have nothing else.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:48 AM   #59
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
A rod and reel with hooked bluefish. Lucky for me the blue tangled in another line so I was able to get everything back!
Sunglasses, reading glasses, fire dept pager, work pager, several filet knives, 2 wrist watches.
Its amazing to me how the dropped object seems to just float until you try to grab it, then goodby.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:41 AM   #60
Art
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: Top.

They say you're not supposed to wear bikini's to waterski, but I have nothing else.
Bikini's are a creation from the devil. That's why they are so damn HOT ... Thank God!!