What Happens When You Unplug From the Dock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry I cant help, we have no power hose , or inlet or AC CB panel.

No need the solar ( 1 85W panel) takes care of the radio and lights and fans , the reefer is propane , so once a month a 20# bottle is refilled.

DONE.

Lots of good responses. Shows you the variance in the use of the trawlers. Important is how you are going to use your trawler. For fun I would divide the usage into three categories. Those who have 50 ft boats or are intent on duplicating the land base residential lifestyle and thus run the generator 24/7 when away from the dock, those who are marina based and take short anchoring trips with frequent moves,and those who anchor out long term without frequent moves.

The energy production needs of each group are different. If you are moving every day or so the main engine(s) generate almost all of the needed power. If you are anchoring for a few days and going back to the dock the occasional generator usage will be efficient and satisfactory.

If you are living on the hook for months at a time and seldom moving more than once a week large battery banks, generators and wind and solar come into play. In this case boaters have also shifted to efficient refrigeration, LED lights, propane stoves etc.

We like others who have commented anchor out for months at a time. Our lighting and refrigeration are very efficient, but we use our water maker, have an on board washing machine and like having hot water available for dishes and showers.

We have a large battery bank,(1300 amp hrs), a diesel generator, a wind generator and two large solar panels. Diesel generator usage is less than an hour a day. Our battery bank rarely, if ever, is below 12.5 volts. While we are efficient in our energy usage we do not skimp.

...Also, is there a way to save a thread for future reference? This is a thread I'd like to archive for future reference...
Thanks, and keep it coming!

In the past, when there was something I really wanted to save, I'd email a link to myself. That way, I could always go back to that link and it'll take me right to the thread...without the necessity of a search.

If there are specific points you wanted to save, cut and paste to a word document and save.

You can save the entire thing to a thumb drive and keep it with you or on the boat for instant review.

Just some things that have worked for me in the past.:thumb:

OD

I'm going to build the beach house I've always wanted.

Problem is, I can't decide which beach.

So the beach house has to float. And that forces certain compromises. But electricity is not going to be one of them. (Wife's shoe collection is going to take a hit.)

The floating beach house is going to have 6kw of solar, big alternators (motors) on the engines, and 30-40kwh of LiFePO4 batteries. No gen set. Hopefully solar will suffice most of the time. When it's cloudy, two hours of main engine use will fully charge the batteries.

We're normally at a mooring or traveling. Only a few times a year do we have the luxury of being plugged in. Our house bank is 400 ah with separate batteries for starting the engines and gen. Our usage including electric refrigeration is about 100ah a day. Unless its very warm we run the generator any hour or two in the morning and evening to charge batts and heat hot water. We have a gas stove and an inverter for the smaller loads like microwave, toaster and other misc ac items. If its really warm we might run the gen all night so we can have the ac on. When motoring the engines heat water and charge the batteries.

Ken

..."It's ok to be comfortable...it's ok to be comfortable...it's ok to be comfortable"!!!!
GREAT POST! I've felt exactly like this the past few months since I bought my OA but my "guilt"
kept me from writing about it! Most of my friends don't have nearly the comfort on their boats that I have and I'm constantly teased about it. I do have one friend, however, that drives a 2006 OA 64 and he is one of my heroes! What a boat! Everything you can imagine & he and his wife run the whole thing and....THEY ARE REALLY COMFORTABLE!!! :rolleyes:

GREAT POST! I've felt exactly like this the past few months since I bought my OA but my "guilt"
kept me from writing about it! Most of my friends don't have nearly the comfort on their boats that I have and I'm constantly teased about it. I do have one friend, however, that drives a 2006 OA 64 and he is one of my heroes! What a boat! Everything you can imagine & he and his wife run the whole thing and....THEY ARE REALLY COMFORTABLE!!! :rolleyes:

For C-Sake Walt - You and all we boaters have no right to be comfortable with/in/on our cushie power-cruiser floats. By all rights we should be banned to the gallows!

Just cause we worked smart and fn' hard for many, many decades (and are lucky enough to still be alive - some still working) doesn't mean we should get such just rewards... or does it?!?! Personally I believe in the latter - It Sure Does Mean We Deserve Exactly What We Have!! :D :dance: :speed boat:

As long as we didn't rape, pillage and plunder to get here - that is!

Our boat was picked by my wife to conform to her comfort needs. The Nova won over a 42 GB, a Hat 43MY and a classic Bertram 44 MY. My pick was the GB; she thought it too spartan in the galley along w/ split twins in the aft stateroom. Everything on our boat runs on electric power, and lots of it!....stove, hot water, ACs, TVs(120) etc.
As soon as we leave the dock the genny runs until we return. There is no guilt on either of us for being cool while under way or at anchor. The gallon an hour is well worth it to have our floating condo comfortable. The systems on board dictate use of the genny unless we start replacing with DC/propane appliances, no AC ,etc.

and that just ain't gonna happen under the admiral's rules!

Our boat was picked by my wife to conform to her comfort needs. The Nova won over a 42 GB, a Hat 43MY and a classic Bertram 44 MY. My pick was the GB; she thought it too spartan in the galley along w/ split twins in the aft stateroom. Everything on our boat runs on electric power, and lots of it!....stove, hot water, ACs, TVs(120) etc.
As soon as we leave the dock the genny runs until we return. There is no guilt on either of us for being cool while under way or at anchor. The gallon an hour is well worth it to have our floating condo comfortable. The systems on board dictate use of the genny unless we start replacing with DC/propane appliances, no AC ,etc.

and that just ain't gonna happen under the admiral's rules!

That's $2880 bucks a month for 30 days at $4 per gal and 24 hr gen set service using 1 gal per hour. Few months o' that = lots of ca$h to improve energy usage conditions as well as save a quite a few boat-buck$ years into the future! :thumb:

That's $2880 bucks a month for 30 days at $4 per gal and 24 hr gen set service using 1 gal per hour. Few months o' that = lots of ca$h to improve energy usage conditions as well as save a quite a few boat-buck$ years into the future! :thumb:

I do not really think about the cost of the generator but...

We run the generator approx 4 hours a day. Ours burns approx .5 gph at 1/2 load and 1.0 gph at full load. We never hit full load so lets say .75gph to be fair.

.75*4 = 3 gallons per day.

A month out anchoring would be what $360. Not a trivial expense but not significant considering all the other things that make up the cost of owning the boat.

Like others, as we have aged we have come to expect more comfort. Thats one of the reasons we upsized from our 28' Cabin Cruiser. I do not for the life of me se any reason to compromise on that comfort or functionality unless there is a driving force necessitating that.

And like others there is zero guilt. So much so that I don't even comprehend what to be guilty for.

Last edited:

And thus, my solution, above.

When I unplug, I'm officially boat camping. I don't have a generator, or solar, or even an inverter. My battery bank is modest. I run the fridge while the engines are running, after that, I'm in defrost mode. A cooler is needed for longer trips. I use a propane stove, and my water heater is broken anyway. I have one 12v outlet, and that's the only one that works when I'm not plugged in. I had a USB outlet on my stereo to charge the phone, but after less than a year, that seems to have died. Thanks west marine.

As a result, I don't do a lot of overnights away from power. Maybe a few times a year. Generally when I do, one of my batteries will be flat by morning.

My next boat will be much more civilized.

Just cause we worked smart and fn' hard for many, many decades (and are lucky enough to still be alive - some still working) doesn't mean we should get such just rewards... or does it?!?! Personally I believe in the latter - It Sure Does Mean We Deserve Exactly What We Have!

Bah, I'm only 31. . .still working (and will be for awhile). . .hard or not is debatable :socool:

$360 a month for generator use would be unacceptable to me. . .but then again, I'd be pleased as punch to have a TOTAL of a month anchoring out over the year! Last year I managed days. . .and not even that many :facepalm:

Bay Pelican, that's what I'm trying to figure out now. I think that's where I messed up with my sailboat purchase. I was stuck on the fantasy, and no experience with the reality of living aboard and keeping a full time office job. Fantasy being I would be out every nice weekend exploring the Chesapeake Bay, eventually taking a leave of absence to cruise the Caribbean. . .to say the reality is different is an understatement :lol:

That being said, I guess I'm really looking for a "dock-o-minium" that gets me out on a schedule 10-15 times a year and a 1-2 week vacation cruise. I'd still love to try a leave of absence and burn a few dino corpses heading down south, but that's off in the future. I think a reliable generator and a healthy battery bank would suit my use best for now. Any real cruises, a couple solar panels would be nice, but not for awhile.

Damn Wayfarer, sounds like my current boat! Except I have a 40 foot stick poking out of the top :lol:

We have two 8D batteries and an 8kw genny. Propane stove, large ice box cooler and engine heated water heater cuts our battery use down considerably.
We use our trawler in Florida winter. A/C is rarely needed, mostly for heat.
If we stay on the hook more than a day, we run the genny an hour in the morning and maybe two or three at night. Our biggest load is the Tundra refrigerator, which seems to run about 50% of the time.

MY guesstimate is $10.00 per hour for the noisemaker.

Besides fuel, there is PM oil & coolant regular maint and a kitty of about $2.00 per hour to have it dragged out and the next one stuck in.

Coolbeans,

Your initial post was right on.
Many boats are set up to NOT leave the dock very often.

The people are TF on the other hand are NOT typical and this you see a wide variety of answers and solutions.

I've only run the generator twice in the last few months and that was mostly to make sure it still started.

A large battery bank, solar panels, and most importantly, a fridge and freezer that can run on 12v, allows me to keep the inverter off much of the time. Traveling every few days keeps the batteries up.

If you truly want to escape and not be more than electrically dependent than necessary there are things to be done that will help.

Often people first think of increasng electrical generation or supply capacity. Best though is to try to reduce electrical useage or needs. You have been through this already. Just apply a lot of that to your choice of power boats. There are many power vessels so fitted but you have to look around as the current thinking is often all electric.

---reduce lighting power needs by changing to LED. There are now lots of choices available. Warm white for cabin lighting is the nicest. Cool white for engine compartment and such where light colour is less important.

---reduce fridge power use. If you have an older energy hog type fridge then either get a new one with the Danfoss compressor or get the existing converted to use the Danfoss compressor. They do help. In addition try to improve fridge insulation as again lowering fridge heat gain is often more productive than the alternative. Use a muffin , 12V, fan to exhaust the hot air from the fridge cavity. If the fridge cannot get rid of heat it expells to the cavity then it cannot cool.

---Cabin heat/cooling. Can be one of many furnaces, diesel stoves, propane heaters. Lots of options. Look at the boat and how you think you want to use it. I'm not going to be too much help here untill you get further along.

--- Heat pumps, A/C require the use of a gen. unless plugged in all the time. No comment here as we don't have it and won;t.

---cooking. Can be all electric but needs that generator. If you don't want that or want to keep a gen. very small then options are propane. Many boats in our area are all electric. I know several folk who had all electric and went propane for cooking. Kept the gen. of course but that way it needs only be run to keep up the batteries from time to time.

Some others had propane but then installed a small diesel driven alternator unit to recharge the batteries directly rather than an A.C. gen.

---solar panels, if space is available, are a good way to keep the batteries up. Not foolproof as cloudy days do happen. Many folk do not expect to run off the panels but use them to slow the battery discharge rate down so instead of gen. use every day then maybe every three or so days.

---Gen. use should also mean using a good size battery charger to minimize gen. run time. Many people make the mistake of a too small charger meaning the gen., to recharge discharged batteries, must run for hours and hours. Not good for the gen. either as the load is extremely light.

---alternator should be as big as can be fitted properly WITH a three stage external regulator to get the best out of the main engine run time. This becomes very important if living on the batteries and running only relatively short times.
If the alternator is kept small and with an internal reg. then battery recharging will likely suffer. If a dock hopper it may not matter but if a gen.less cruiser it will matter, a lot. Often people don't want to deal with it failing to realize that the batteries only get the left over current from all the other loads. If you have a 60A alt. and you have standing loads from a radar, vhf, stereo, chartplotter, tablets, water pump, fridge and so on then the recharge rate will be down substantially from that 60A.

--- electronics such as boob tubes, stereos, wifi and computers I have deliberately ignored but if this is needed it will need to be accounted for in the power needs. I also have not allowed for nav. electronics as this is usually used only when the engine, alternator, is running.

There are many ways of setting the boat up. Don't be in a huge hurry to make a bunch of changes. Work with the boat for a time, 6 months or more, to see what you do and don;t like. Your ideas may/will change as time goes by. Do what is needed as temporary to get what you now want to operate, even if messy, and then study how to make the changes needed.

I would suggest energy reduction as a first and usefull step though as long as it is not tearing the boat apart.

Our boat is realtively simple, so far. DIesel stove for cool weather heat and cooking, single alcohol Origo and BBQ for summer cooking. The Origo does get used in the cool weather when needed . 660 AHr house battery bank, LED lgts, Danfoss driven fridge including cavity exhaust fan, no A/C, large 150A alternator [output controlled to ~110A], no gen., no solar yet but in plans, no tv or such, older radio. We do have a computer and tablets aboard.

Gotta go.

What's the point of have a large boat if I cannot be comfortable. The genny comes on before I leave and gets shut down once plugged back in. My fridge is 120, but also here in Florida you really cannot not use your air conditioner in the summer unless your really into sweat and stink. 15KW I can run every item on board and still have juice left. The other issue is with all the other systems that need to be maintained, having more electrical components to wait and break or corrode makes no sense to me. I like cold beer, cold refrigerator, making my own water and the Admiral likes to watch TV in the evenings. I'll continue to burn the diesel, I don't spartan camp anymore so I'm not going to spartan boat. Sorry, no iceboxes for this guy.

LOL! Baker, toooooo funny! If I'm underway, I don't need a/c and my engines provide hot water for showers, etc...so I don't run the genny. Once moored/anchored or whatever, when it's hot out, I run the genny...when I want to eat hot food, I run the genny, when I get tired of the quiet, I run the genny....I'm sensing a pattern here...I have no problem running the genny, that's why it's there. AND that's what generators like...being run under load. MUCH better for them than sitting, conserving whatever.

The genny comes on before I leave and gets shut down once plugged back in. ........ I don't spartan camp anymore so I'm not going to spartan boat. Sorry, no iceboxes for this guy.
OMG! I have a twin!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Good points to ponder on C Lectric. Easy energy saver mods first. Most boats seem to at least have an older Norcold fridge installed. One monster yacht I looked at had what looked like a domestic side by side :eek:

Running the AC via gen never really crossed my mind. With the sailboat, I typically don't bother going out because it's too damned hot. . .overnighters are no-go. . .AC in the summer could add time on the water for me :thumb:

I have a single 8D deep cycle house battery. I have 2 marine air units, electric stove, micro wave, coffee maker and blender that all use AC power and no inverter except a 800 watt for my Cpap machine when anchored. The fridge is AC/DC powered, all lights and the heads are 12v, when out I run the gen 4 to 6 hours in a 24 hour period the 60 watt charger keeps the 8D up I have no idea why anyone would run a gen 24-7. I use it when cooking and to watch a couple hours of TV in the evening most days day, this use is enough for my needs.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Running the AC via gen never really crossed my mind. With the sailboat, I typically don't bother going out because it's too damned hot. . .overnighters are no-go. . .AC in the summer could add time on the water for me :thumb:

That's the spirit!!!! It's okay to be comfortable. Start that generator. It is what it is for!!! Would you rather be on your couch or listening to the hum of your generator at a nice anchorage while the inside of your boat is 68 degrees!!!

You're getting there but don't forget that hammer!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom