Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Bottom Job

Inquiry** how often do you clean your bottom (your boat's)?**** KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
RE: Bottom Job

Clean and paint annually.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Bottom Job

KJ,
The answer to this question is going to vary widely depending on where a boat is located. On inland lakes/rivers with no sal****er, you can easily go 4-5 years between needing bottom paint. If in south FL, you are going to need a diver scrubbing the bottom monthly and new paint annually. That is about the spectrum so depending on where a boat is located, you will be somewhere at or between those 2 extremes. General rule: freshwater boat= once every 4-5 years. Sal****er: about once a year, combined with monthly dives to clean if in warm climate.

I am curious what our PNW friends say though- very limited experience on my end of things with PNW cruising but I hope to change that one day!

-- Edited by Woodsong on Tuesday 1st of February 2011 04:33:30 PM
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Ok, why on earth is the forum automatically editing my post above when I type the word
S a l t w a t e r???
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:Ok, why on earth is the forum automatically editing my post above when I type the word
S a l t w a t e r???
who knew sal****er was a dirty word?* we are in sal****er in the SF Bay.

We have the growth cleaned off every three months and get new bottom paint ~two years.** The trawler is new to us though, this is based on our sailboats so not sure how this will differ with the trawler.*

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

That is pretty funny!!!!

I do not redo my bottom until things start growing on it. I usually get close to 4 years out of it down here. I do use my boat quite a bit so that may be the reason. I also go with the higher end paints as well.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #7

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure

Six months to the first clean after new paint, and 3-monthly after that.
Usually get*18 to 20 months between painting. I put an extra 2 gallons on last time in the hope of getting 2 full years.
Auckland, NZ, temperate climate.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

*T*W*A*T* lol
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:

*T*W*A*T* lol
oh dude, seriously!* that is too funny.* I guess we have to write salt water.

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #10
Per
Guru

i was curious about same and also wanted opinions on bottom cleanings or scrubs.

i have been informed differently by different (local) people but i guess they are commercially biased.

one told me a bottomcleaning every 2 months in the winter and every 30-40 days in the summer.
located in long beach ca, water temps usually high 50's winter to high 60's summer.

the shipyard and others have informed me every 2 years for bottom paint, but i am guessing the more frequent you clean bottom the better and longer the paint will last.
i think also the state of your zinc's can have influence?
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC

I haven't had to do a bottom job since*I sold my sailboat about 12 yrs ago.*The boat was berthed in a marina on San Francisco*Bay.*At that time*paints with high copper content were starting to be banned due to the toxicity to the local fauna. I think this was a state ordinance but*I had heard that there was going to be a federal ban or limit on*the content of anti-fouling paints also.* So, do you follow your local state or federal regs when doing your bottom?* I also read that some yards charge a surtax (fee) for treating or handling the water from*the wash down of your old paint.* Also, do you sand the old stuff off*completely, or just paint over what's left of it?*
I sail on a fr**sh water*lake now so I don't need bottom paint now, but when I do, I'd like to know what the trawler*folks do.*** KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Vancouver BC. Annual zinc replacement is often too late for the zincs. Annual bottom paint renewal is often too soon, but you are out of the water for the zincs anyway, so do the paint. The cost of the day is a lot more than the cost of the paint.
I use stuff that builds up, but its adhesion is good enough that I don't try to remove any and it builds up year after year. There are spots that try to fall off, so there are some minor ups and downs in the surface. A little bit of scraper will smooth the edges out and all looks fine once the new paint is on. I try to change colours form time to time, just so I will notice if ever an old colour shows through. The boat is immersed all year, but moves a lot less in the winter.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #13
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

4 to 5 years on LakeUnion which is fresh.* This is the third year in Everett which is brackish, fresh and salt.* The first 2 to 3 ft is fresh and salty lower down.* Every 6 months have a diver check the zincs, clean the through hulls, prop, rudder and heavy growth.* We are planning on pulling this summer but I will ask my diver if it time.*

I use Pettit Trinadaded*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:46 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

I've been getting 2 & 1/2 years out of Micron 66, but it's top shelf stuff, and expensive, and the limiting factor was the hard stuff used on the running gear anyway, so this last time I went Micron Extra - reputed to be much the same, with PropSpeed on the running gear, so here's hoping of getting 3 yrs maybe. Queensland subtropical water - oh yeah and it is ****ty water...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Up here in the great white north I am getting about 3 years on bottom paint.
The growth depends on how much you use the boat. cold Sal****er.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville

We clean the bottom every 3-5 weeks based on where we are anchored and*if we have a passage coming up.**It's amazing the difference in the amount of growth vs how fertile the water is.**The bottom is painted with Trinidad SR.*

The bottom isn't the issue as much as the*propeller, rudder (SS) and rudder shoe (SS).***We've tried everything but*Prop-Speed (expensive).* It takes us about 45 minutes to do the bottom including the water line.* That 1/4 to 1/2 knot we get with a clean bottom is worth the effort for us, plus the water is usually in the 80's.* We use*a 1 hp AC oi-less air compressor with 60 feet of air hose.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Huatulco, Oaxaco, MX
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #17
Per
Guru

Quote:
koliver wrote:

Vancouver BC. Annual zinc replacement is often too late for the zincs. Annual bottom paint renewal is often too soon, but you are out of the water for the zincs anyway, so do the paint. The cost of the day is a lot more than the cost of the paint.
I use stuff that builds up, but its adhesion is good enough that I don't try to remove any and it builds up year after year. There are spots that try to fall off, so there are some minor ups and downs in the surface. A little bit of scraper will smooth the edges out and all looks fine once the new paint is on. I try to change colours form time to time, just so I will notice if ever an old colour shows through. The boat is immersed all year, but moves a lot less in the winter.
my diver (who does the bottom job scrub) also change zincs as required, typically zincs are replaced every 6-8 months or so.

no reason to haul her out unless it is for something larger.

you might consider..
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #18
Ed
Veteran Member

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Makin Do
Vessel Model: PT38 Sedan #60

Phil,

You may not want to wait for your diver.* Several yards in the PS*have free haul outs with a bottom job and there is 10% labor discount available.

Just a thought incase you'd like to save a few bucks.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I've been using Interlux Micron Extra and the last job got me 3 yrs but I had to scrape the whole bottom w a 2" scraper. Last fall I put $80. a gallon AF paint on Willy. I saw many gallons of the stuff in the store and assumed all the fishermen used it. Most of the time we just go on the grid (see photo) do a bit of cleaning and slop on a coat of AF every year.
I want to get on the grid to install my new propeller fairly soon.
Attached Thumbnails
all to 12-15-09 396.jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #20
Scraping Paint

City: -
Bottom Job

Quote:
KJ wrote:

Inquiry** how often do you clean your bottom (your boat's)?**** KJ
We cannot have divers clean bottoms in our marina (the same is true of some other marinas in Puget Sound).* They can knock off barnacles and do underwater hardware work like replacing zincs but no bottom wipe-downs.

We have our boat dove on about every six months for zinc replacement and to check things like the cutless bearings in the struts.* Also as the paint wears out*they *knock off any barnacles on through-hull strainers, rudders,*etc.* Six months seems to be the average life for a shaft zinc in our marina.* I can change the transom zincs myself although if they're worn down at the time of a dive we have them change them.* In our slip we also hang a used*zinc on a heavy wire down about six feet below the surface, but I can change that when it needs it.

We normally have the bottom*painted every two years.* This time we've*gone three years because*every time we*scheduled a haul-out Boeing sent me off*somewhere.* We usually haul and paint in Februrary or*early March.** So our bottom paint is worn out now and will look like hell when we haul out.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 10:04:31 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote