Old 10-15-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
What factors were/are critical in selecting your trawler?

What functional*factors were critical in selecting your trawler?* Not talking about affordability, appearance, or physical soundness/strength.* For instance, the principal factors used in my selection were (1) 360-degree visibility from steering station, (2) 360-degree decks, (3) keel-protected propeller, shaft, and rudder, (4) bow thruster, (5) "serious" staysail(s), (6) facilities (berths, head, shower, stove, sink, refrigerator)*for two, and four in a pinch, (7) significant fuel/water tankage, and (8) suitable for coastal/inland (not trans-oceanic) cruising.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
RE: What factors were/are critical in selecting your trawler?

Mark- those are great qualities. As I recall the top of our list started with something like "two heads and a double sink". My wires list of course! For me, engine/ mechanical accessability was very important. To make boating affordable I knew that I would need to be able to reach, understand and repair most of the systems on board. On our haulouts I document and learn as much as I can about anything below the waterline- but the majority of the maintenace on our older trawler is of course mechanical stuff. I recently rechared our front AC unit after locating and repairing a freon leak. I had a great coach who loaned me the needed supplies. The next day, with his coaching, I tapped into our Tundra T80 fridge and low/ high sides and now this 2 1/2 year old dude is FINALLy cooling! It may have a leak but it appears to be a permanent fix.
I guess what I am saying is that for me, as Skipperdude says, if you can't fix it maybe it shouldn't be on the boat. I have been at the mercy of the repair yard in the past and that takes some DEEP pockets!
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
Guru

For us it was single engine, walk around island queen bed, walk around decks, galley down (or seperate living room we didn't want to sit at a dinette all the time).
And suitable for inland/coastal cruising goal is to do the loop, etc.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #4
Doc
Guru

All weather helm. Tired of heat, cold and rain. Single fuel efficient engine. Skeg protected running gear. Quiet engine and generator...under water exhausts on both. Two heads. Large refrigerator. Plenty of A/C. Sat TV. Cool look.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

My wife first saw and went on the boat!* For her it was the master bed room with the closet and drawer space, how quiet the boat was with no lapping of water, felt very stable, easy to get on/off, and few stairs as she had a hip problem at the time.* *I on the other hand was not a happy camper as it was an ugly slow trawler, but it was about 50% of our budget price and bigger than the other boats we were looking at.* So for me it was low price and size.* Size does matter!
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

Our must includes were: Flying bridge, standup shower stall, walk around decks, aft cabin with island bed, single engine, diesel generator.
Steve W.

-- Edited by Steve on Saturday 16th of October 2010 01:52:18 PM
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** I must re-enforce Mr. forklift's comment about engine/mechanical accessability.* Not fun or safe trying to change a filter or a belt in a seaway standing on your head.
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #8

Great subject;

Our list of do not's:
A) Canvas
B) Teak deck
C) Enclosed upper helm
D) Twins
E) Galley up
F) Steel fuel tanks
G)

Our list of do's"
1) Lower Helm
2) Level walk around deck
3) Dual entrance (port/starboard) to lower Helm/Salon
4) Walk around Queen
5) Single screw
6) Shallow draft
7) Walk around engine (Holly Land) room
8)

The prefect boat, Drinks Six, Feeds Four and Sleeps Two.......

El Sea/L.C.

"Suckin Sludge & Havin a Gas"
El Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
El Sea wrote:

... The prefect boat, Drinks Six, Feeds Four and Sleeps Two.......

George Buehler, designer of the Coot, used the same expression in describing the boat.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'

Our list was;
single engine and one that was not a maverick, at least at the time
much greater range than previous boats
access around engine
more room for the two of us
HEAT in winter
prop protected by keel
visibility from below from excellent inside steering - we do have a seldom used bridge
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Mine can be summed up quickly but it took quite a while to find her.

Seaworthyness

The ability to go for weeks at a time with very little expense.

More room and general comfort than our last boat (Albin 25) with a significant increase in comfort in lumpy seas.

A good balance between soundness (condition) and economy.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #12

While we did not start with an exact list, it evolved as we shopped. While we looked at a few shiny higher priced trawlers, they really where not in the budget ,and since I am in the marine industry, we where able to get parts/materials/labor at wholesale...we started leaning towards finding a deal on something we could refit and make our own. I also wanted something that was affordable not only to run but to own/maintain. Too*many dock monsters in our area that look nice, but never leave the dock, I can only imagine that the cost of actually running/maintaining the boats was never explained to some of the owners when the boats where sold. Our list evolved into:

1. efficiency/range. I used to say I would never own a boat that did not have two engines, from my time in the USCG. After getting into the pleasure boat world, I realized that for a coastal cruiser or even near coastal, a properly maintained single diesel and a $150/year commercial towing membership, was the way to go over two engines, when we get basically the same speed as most twin engine trawlers. The one we picked has a single Perkins, around 3 gph @ 8kts. The rated fuel capacity on our 42' trawler is 1,350 gallons, with 1,200 usable. Do the math on that, even with the genset running the whole time, it can seriously go some places and take advantage of cheap fuel opportunities when they are found.

2. Hull material/accessibility. As we had decided to do a refit, we decided it was easier to modify and aluminum hull/superstructure then a fiberglass one. Plus there is not rot to worry about. As long as the hull checked out and no major corrosion ares, good to go. Plus the way this aluminum vessel was constructed, there are alot of open runways with good access to pull new cable, plumbing, etc. Its also easier IMO to touch up paint on a aluminum hull/superstructure, then repair scratches, dings, etc in a gelcoat or fiberglass hull.

3. Two helms. Did not want to be stuck in a single pilothouse the whole time in nice weather, wanted a bridge with a view, but also a lower enclosed helm for really bad weather.....ours has both.

4. Cost. Since we knew we would be doing a refit, looked for the best deal we could find with the above characteristics. Since we bought ours two months after the stock market crash in 2008, we took advantage of the buying opportunities and probably bought the boat for less then what it could have been scrapped for..

5. Full keel for protection cruising in coastal areas. Ive seen too many bent props and shafts to worry about it on my boat....

"Drinks Six, Feeds four, and sleeps two" was also a factor...
JMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #13

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako

... The prefect boat, Drinks Six, Feeds Four and Sleeps Two.......

My wife and I learned a long time ago that we love being around friends but NOT to live with them on the boat, or even have weekend guests. When we bought our boat, 1982 Defever 41,* it does not have room for another couple. Yep, no V-berth. Instead it has a single pilot berth athwartships. So we have a boat that was substantially built as a live aboard boat for one couple with lots of extra storage forward insted of a V-berth.
You can see it here
http://tinyurl.com/24zqw6h

R.
ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Good thread! Our main goal was to downsize our "boating investment" and increased efficiency. Coming from a nearly new gas powered 38 sedan that drank fuel like a sailor home on leave and depreciated like 100 sailors spending money home on leave, we really wanted something more simple. I found over time that the entire boat mortgage thing just got old after a few years when combined with everything else so the main thing was to be into boating debt free. I just found myself on our previous sedan worrying about how much money the dumb thing was depreciating each month, cost of fuel, etc.* We wanted to go back to just being on the water and never having to ponder how much money was being wasted.* Not that we couldn't afford our previous boat b.c we definitely could- just seemed wasteful to have a boat*like that just to look all flashy!* Plus, a trawler is really just more our style.* We also wanted a diesel powered boat (don't know that i will ever have a gaser again!) with a classic interior and nice exterior lines. Fuel efficiency was a consideration as well. Layout had to have a lower helm with cabin doors for easy access and at least 2 staterooms/2 heads since we have 2 young children.
We set out looking to be in the 45-49' range with 3 staterooms but never found the right deal at the right price in the right condition. We kind of fell into the deal on our Monk since it was owned bt a guy we knew and it had been on our "home" dock for several years. We went inside, saw the interior teak, realized it had almost as much storage as many of the 45 footers we looked at, liked her lines, and her price sealed the deal. Granted, we're doing a ton of work to her but there is something about her that just called to us and while she is much smaller at 36' than anything we thought we'd buy after selling our 38, she is the perfect little trawler for us. I simply LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the fact that we burn 2.5 to 3 GPH with the generator running! It's like having a sailboat without having to fool with sails!

We also really wanted a boat that could do extended coastal cruising...maybe do a few weeks here and there, leave somewhere, go work for a couple of weeks, go back and cruise some more, etc. The fact is that a smaller boat is cheaper to dock and do that in so in our case, Less is More has proven to be true.

-- Edited by Woodsong on Sunday 17th of October 2010 02:53:47 PM
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #15

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako

Here is the list I had compiled during the years we were trawler shopping. I was on message boards and reading lots of stuff at the time to get as educated as I could.
This list is not in any order of importance.
Trawler Features List:
Autopilot with rate gyro
Bow Thruster
No teak decks
Single screw, 120-135 hp diesel
4ft draft max
Full keel boat, full protection for rudder, prop
Flybridge, bimini top w/ enclosure
Refrig 12v/110v
Generator
3 batteries or more
Windlass (hydraulic preferred)
Air conditioning
Heat
Hot water heat exchanger
Detailed maintenance records
3 burner gas stove/oven
Things to add to the boat:
Have a spare fresh water pump on hand in case the primary fails on a trip.
Add a diesel fuel polishing system
-----------------------
We decided it didnt matter if it was galley up or down. The total value of the boat itself would determine it.
Critical items for me were single screw, keel protected prop and rudder, walk around decks, the dog had to be able to walk anywhere we could go on the boat hence our choice of trunk cabin trawler. We also wanted an AFT cabin boat, another critical item. We like to anchor and didnt want the loud noise of water on the bow right at our heads when trying to sleep.
I really wanted a Lehman 120 engine.
Boats have so many tradeoffs one has to realize that you might be willing to let go of a critical requirement if all the other things lined up and were more favorable as a group.

We have had this 1982 Defever 41 since the summer of 2007, so this is our 4th summer. Two years ago a friend gave me his old fresh water (domestic water) pump which he had replaced but found out that wasnt the problem he head. Then this Sept while at the MTOA rendezvous in Balt, the domestic water pump in our boat died. I switched out the dead one for the used one in 15 minutes. I think the old one simply had the pressure reg. switch fail so I am replacing it.
ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #16

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

covered aft deck so we can see how hard it is raining without getting wet
xfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville

Quote:
xfedex wrote:

covered aft deck so we can see how hard it is raining without getting wet

Only if you're in the PNW.* Only kidding.* A few nights ago it got down to 69 F for the first time since April.* Life is good.

To us, if you walk on to a boat, and the bells go off,* go the next step.* It's has to fit.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Paz, BCS

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #18

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure

Size matters. When you're 6'6'' and want full headroom, anything under 50ft is going to look a bit odd.

The only way we could afford a 50fter was a conversion or a do-up.* We decided*to convert*a commercial fishing vessel and went 30% over budget on the refit but I*believe that is a pretty good result.

"Commercial" to me means:
Solid*frp hull
big single engine
large diameter protected prop
hydraulics for operating the anchor windlass and now, bow-thruster.
Fuel efficient
plenty*of generating power
engine-driven*bilge pumps, fire-fighting etc.
Heavy-duty electrics, lights etc
Good sea-keeping and long range

The conversion added:
Galley up (aft, next to cockpit)
Lotsa refrigeration
Permanent berths for 4 or 5. (master is not walk-around, which*we wanted, but would have had to move a bulkhead)
Spacious head with separate enclosed shower
Dinette in wheelhouse
Large lounge area
Good fishing cockpit
Replaced old AC genset with DC
2 x 80W solar panels

This was 6 years ago.**With prices as they are now, we could probably buy something better for less!
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:43 AM   #19
FF
Guru

Incredable tough construction as we bought her for the loop,

and there is always the situation ,

Some days you tie up to a Tug, some days the Tug ties up to YOU!

Working over sized rub rail, 12 or 14 inch cleats and loads of open deck area.

Out 50 ft boat has 15 ft open aft , for the nice days at anchor.

From Sub T boats I require fire retardant resin and collision bulkhead.

There was no interior , but the volume was large enough to fit out for 2 folks for months on end.

Just had to build it.

Single engine with keel mandatory, Keel cooling and dry stack also required.

The Hyd steering was a plus as it was almost painless to add an autopilot and use the system to operate the new hyd windlass .

Although the deck house is offset , there was enough room to walk about either side .

None of the additions we installed will in any way harm future use as a Lobster boat.

Monel tanks with low point drains were a bonus , as was a 6-71 with only a few hundred hours since NEW!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kekada
Vessel Model: Seahorse 54

For my wife #1 was a bath, then

Seaworthiness
Twin engines
Dual side decks and
Flybridge

A passarelle was also important
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
features, requirement, selection, shopping