Old 07-06-2018, 12:13 AM   #41
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Let’s say you are a 1920’s boat. Let’s say you have no transmission and you have to switch your valves and start your engine backwards to reverse. Lets say the channel is only as wide as your boat. Let’s say the SUP made an unexpected 90 degree course change, you react by shutting off the power your crew switch the valves and you start the engine backwards but it’s too late and your momentum carries you into contact with the SUP. Now you have a case for claiming rights as a boat ristricted in its ability to maneuver

Not RAM. Restricted means ‘by some unusual circumstance’. If (and I think you are making a scenario) you had a vessel with this type of controls she would not be Restricted, but that is the ordinary method of control and you as the operator should make allowances for this operation in your usual maneuvering. If you have a pig of a boat that has terrible handling characteristics this must be part of ‘normal’ operations. Wishing these parameters to ‘excuse’ you from having to maneuver would be folly.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:21 AM   #42
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
To make another example of folly. I was anchored 3 miles off Galveston two weeks ago. This is what showed up. (Reminding of DHS 75 yard security zones for commercial vessels not withstanding)Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1739.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	78219. Not only did these five intrepid adventurers find us 3 miles offshore, they hung around for about 3 hours then headed back to shore. What they didn’t know..... this is what we caught about 2 hours prior to their arrival. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1734.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	78220. A 5 1/2’ black tip shark.
But what do I know. It would seem accurate that some people are blissfully unaware. Size, channel, maneuverability, intelligence.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:46 AM   #43
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Not RAM. Restricted means ‘by some unusual circumstance’. If (and I think you are making a scenario) you had a vessel with this type of controls she would not be Restricted, but that is the ordinary method of control and you as the operator should make allowances for this operation in your usual maneuvering. If you have a pig of a boat that has terrible handling characteristics this must be part of ‘normal’ operations. Wishing these parameters to ‘excuse’ you from having to maneuver would be folly.
That was my exact point. I had a whole lot of if’s and then I ended it with you had a case, not that you were in the right.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #44

City: Green Turtle Cay/Western NC
What your big hurry? Why didn't you just pull it into nuetral an let her go by. If there had been an accident you would have been up S creek! Technically she has the right away.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #45
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
What your big hurry? Why didn't you just pull it into nuetral an let her go by. If there had been an accident you would have been up S creek! Technically she has the right away.
that can be debated.... rule 9, rule 2.....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #46
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Hey, gang, the word "danger" has been officially removed from the five or more short blasts a vessel sounds when in doubt about the intentions of another vessel. Since it is in the Maneuvering and warning signal section, I suppose you could call it a warning signal.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #47

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
She seemed to make a mistake and I would argue that she's unable to manuver to the level you can(reverse,slight right/slight left, etc).

As to jokingly running her down.. I get the joke but I do know some people who genuinely hate kayaks and paddleboarders enough to at least wake them.. They have every right to the water even the ICW.

Reality is reality and leaning on a maritime rule or law wont mean a lick to 12 people on a jury.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote