What to Do When It Snows in the PNW!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
We don't get snow very often on the Lower Columbia River.

What is a PNW'er to do?:socool::eek::D

Attachments

• IMG_9065.jpg
    IMG_9065.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9064.jpg
    IMG_9064.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 150185828_2292483630896429_1178510668776880866_n.jpg
    150185828_2292483630896429_1178510668776880866_n.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 43
Couldn't stand it yesterday after 3 days of the white stuff. I dug out the cockpit and found the BBQ. T-Bones tasted real good.

Starting to melt already. The weight of the snow sunk part of the dock. I did clear ASD's decks. Bimini top was the hardest. Had the PFD on though!

Portland had a few issues with freezing rain and snow.

https://www.kptv.com/news/snow-and-...cle_cbed66f2-6e78-11eb-9cb5-1ba356ec4688.html

What is this “Snow” of which you speak?

Keeping cockpit scupper drains clear of ice is a big deal, lest you have standing water where you don't want it. Also, ice can dam-up and create standing water over fuel fills on some boats.

Keeping cockpit scupper drains clear of ice is a big deal, lest you have standing water where you don't want it. Also, ice can dam-up and create standing water over fuel fills on some boats.

Good points. Its raining now so the short blast was fun.......

Get in the car, drive to Whistler and SKI!!!~!!!!

Sorry, no "Whistler" for Americans, Canada is closed.

pete

Leaf blower to get the snow off.
Hot water wash down for the ice if you have significant ice build up that would affect the stability.

Worst here is the occasional icey dock (but not pictured here):

Attachments

• leaving berth.jpg
    leaving berth.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 26
Wusses.

About a decade ago we had snow in the fields around town for six months straight without melting away.

Attachments

• DSCF0787 (1).jpg
    DSCF0787 (1).jpg
    29 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
There were ice flows in the Columbia when I was a kid. I think the late 1950s.

Shovel, help others on the dock that cant shovel, shovel. Keep drains clean, stay clear of the ice/snow sheets falling off the coved docks. Help the old guys pull the dinks that hang off the sterns on the covered areas so they don't fill up with snow when the ice/snow sheets fall off. Make spicy hot chocolate. Enjoy as it wont last long (hot chocolate and the snow). Plan out the next garage/home/inside project.

Attachments

• eggsnow.jpg
    eggsnow.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 20
  • eggsnow1.jpg
    eggsnow1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 18
I live near Portland. Somewhere in this area, a few covered moorages collapsed and sank a few boats. Having been here 50 years, That has happened a few times over the years. I'm happy my future boat seems to be safe in a boathouse elsewhere!

Grab a bottle of rum, and GO SKIING!!! What’s wrong with you jackwagons??? :D :D

Snow is a gift from above, enjoy it!

I got some good advice from The Boat Galley FB page: replace those deck fill o-rings annually! As their article pointed out, it doesn’t take much of a crack to let water into the fuel tanks...

Seems like an easy, cheap, preventative to me :)

The snow event of 2021 was short lived! Climbed to the mid-40s yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_9070.jpg
    IMG_9070.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9071.jpg
    IMG_9071.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 23
Since Friday we got about a foot in 3 snowfalls. So, Ya gets yur buns offa da couch and run dis machine...

snowblower.jpg

Saw on the evening nude where some barge-like houseboats were in deep dodo with weight of snow capsizing them.

"Shovel,"

Actually a stiff broom and a push broom are faster and do less harm.

"Shovel,"

Actually a stiff broom and a push broom are faster and do less harm.

For powdery snow, yes, sweeping goes a long way. They make a nice foam board on a stick device for dragging snow off higher surfaces that I love (keep one in every car). And for when you have to shovel, it's always worth having a plastic edged shovel around. They suck for most things, but they come in very handy when you need to shovel snow off of something that a metal edge might damage.

So cold, keep the frozen meat in the enclosed porch and the beer in the fridge to keep from freezing
I remember those days.
Bird dont fly because of the wind chill, roost or hide under something. Leave your garage door open, the crows will come in to keep you company.

Back
Top Bottom