Old 04-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #41
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Excellent; BUT, does Vietnam know about this? I've been twice in the last two years, and had to bring all my own coffee. I found it there twice; once in a can, and once in the airport.
You are kidding right?
I have never seen a bigger coffee culture than in Vietnam, cafe's everywhere , free wifi and cheap.
Street I lived in had 6 or 7 within 200 metres.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #42
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
I was 3 hours north of Din Bien. Missed the good stuff[emoji27]
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #43

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Kismet
shelf stable coffee creamer/soy/milk.

dingy fuel filters

propane for grill

as much cash as comfortable to avoid intl credit card fees and local markups

brita or equivalent filters.

supplies for oil change

spare bilge pump and switch
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:03 PM   #44
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Another item - a spare prop for the dinghy. There are a lot of small rocks just off the beaches here.

Listening to the Cruisers Net here - it seems many are wishing they had brought one!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:20 PM   #45
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Regarding the spare prop. With the skills Ms. D possesses I would think she would simply emulate Humphrey Bogart ala "African Queen" by building a fire and forging a NEW prop...

Old 05-01-2017, 08:27 PM   #46
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
After reading all of the posts I have reaffirmed in my mind that going to the Bahamas is like camping out at a KOA park.
$300 entry fee
No fresh food
No stocked grocery stores
Limited fuel
No access to marine parts
(Thank God nothing breaks on a boat)
Treacherous crossing with N wind
A menu of can goods in paradise.
No Thanks
I Love The Keys and everything I have come to expect here in America.
It's great for some.
Not for me.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #47
Guru

I have repaired several props over the years with epoxy and hard filler powders.
Chunks out of blades as big as 3/4 of an inch.
I used crushed macadamia shell.

Never lasts forever, but usually get a month or two in the water constantly.

I do have a room filled with ply, glass, resin, fillers, power tools, paints etc etc
Old 05-01-2017, 09:20 PM   #48
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. P. KOA?

'Nuff said...
Old 05-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #49
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
After reading all of the posts I have reaffirmed in my mind that going to the Bahamas is like camping out at a KOA park.
$300 entry fee
No fresh food
Limited fuel
No Thanks
It's great for some.
Not for me.
Sadly that's all of the Bahamas you've seen here. However, the Bahamas have some of the most incredible resorts with amenities galore, with concierge service that will restock you with anything you need, with fine restaurants.

Our last trip to the Bahamas we sailed, we paddleboarded, we kayaked, we fished, we played tennis and we played golf. We ate excellent fresh fish on our boat and in fine restaurants. We got fine service from some of the finest, nicest and most helpful people.

We started at Atlantis, an incredible resort that remind one of Vegas with so many fine restaurants, a water park, a spa, and then an incredible marine habitat and entertainment as well. Often we'll take a day over to Nassau but didn't on this trip.

Then to Harbour Island, Romora Bay to be specific. An old standby. Tennis courts, poolside service, even room service type delivery to your boat. laundry service if needed and a fitness center.

Next a brief stop at Spanish Wells. Great diving for those who like as is pretty much all of the Bahamas. Golf carts to explore the island. Oh and one thing we love most is exploring all the other hundreds of island nearby all these location either by our main boat or dinghy.

On to the Abaco's and we chose Abaco Beach Resort. Beautiful grounds, tennis courts, volleyball, badminton, even water trampoline. Fishing, diving and snorkeling. Beaches and islands everywhere. We also took a day to drive to the Abaco Resort at Winding Bay. A Scottish style links course for golfers, tennis, a great spa, all while surrounded by such beauty.

From there we were going to Man-o-war but skipped it and went on to Baker's Bay. It's beautiful but it does reflect an issue you are seeing in the Bahamas and that is more islands taken private and not open to the public.

Last stop was Green Turtle Cay Club. Great dining, fishing, diving, and nightlife. Each of these locations also has history. Here it's the Town of New Plymouth, an 18th century town, with the Albert Lowe museum and a display of models of the Abaco sailing vessels which were used as blockade runners.

So, as to your list.

Entry fee, yes.

No fresh food, false.

No stocked groceries, false, although no huge supermarkets except main cities.

Limited fuel, false. Fuel widely available.

No access to marine parts, false. Quite a few yards and most marinas can arrange for anything you need.

Treacherous crossing. What? Come on people. I don't grasp that so many trawler owners consider crossing to the Bahamas treacherous. People cross all the time in small boats, in center consoles, with no problems. 9 out of 10 days, it's easy. On the 10th, you wait a day.

Can goods in paradise, false big time. Fresh seafood surrounds you and other foods are readily available.

I love the Keys, but there's nothing in the Keys that isn't available somewhere in the Bahamas, other than Duval Street. We live in Fort Lauderdale and are closer to the nearest Bahamas than the Keys and not much further from some great areas. Thousands of islands to explore, all a little different. It's what one chooses, from mega-hotel resort to just anchoring away from it all.

There are so many options in the Bahamas. A place for anything.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:00 PM   #50
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Ok, sounds like to get the most out of it you dock at resorts that have marinas, most of the time. What is the typical rate/ft, and does that give access to the facilities at the resort?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:29 PM   #51

City: Tokyo, Japan / Tampa, Florida / Washington, Virginia
Vessel Name: Mondai Nai
Vessel Model: Nordhaven 55 - 45
I would also recommend bringing at least 2 spare props for your tender. Almost impossible to find one if you spin yours.
IntervaleII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
As many of you know, I will be leaving for the Bahamas in about 10 days.

What is the one thing you wish you brought? Other than alcohol?

Hi Donna, I would recommend bringing at least 2 extra props for your tender. Almost impossible to get one repaired or replaced if you spin yours.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:56 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Ok, sounds like to get the most out of it you dock at resorts that have marinas, most of the time. What is the typical rate/ft, and does that give access to the facilities at the resort?
We docked at resorts on this trip but it's not necessary. Plenty of anchoring. Typically the marina rate does give you access to resort facilities just like other guests. What they have to pay extra for, such as golf, you do also. Depending on the location those anchoring and arriving by dinghy may have access to many of the amenities. For instance, most of Atlantis's amenities are available to anyone who gets there by land or sea.

Many docks in the Bahamas are very negotiable depending on time and on the length of stay.

Here are some standard marina prices though, based on one night:

Atlantis $4.00-$4.50
Romora Bay $2.50-$2.75
Spanish Wells $2.00-$2.50
Abaco Beach Resort $2.50-$3.25
Green Turtle $1.50-$1.75

In most areas there are marinas available in the $1.50-$2.00 range. These were among the more expensive marinas. For instance Abaco is $2.50-$3.25 but Harbour View is very nice and it's very close and only $1.40-$1.75. In Nassau, there are marinas half the price of Atlantis.

Key West was mentioned as a comparison. Well, Conch Harbor is $4.25. A and B is $3.50.

In Fort Lauderdale, Bahia Mar is $3.50, as is Pier 66, but Las Olas is around $2.00. You pay a substantial difference based on amenities.

So, the Bahamas are not exceptionally high. You can spend as much or as little money as you wish. There is no other group of so many close islands with such a variety of things to do that I know of. Beautiful water. Swim with the pigs or just float on your own. Dive or just view. 700+ islands to choose from. We'll often cruise to one and anchor, jump in the RIB and explore, walk along the beach, swim, then go three miles to another island.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:13 AM   #54
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Thanks. I agree, very reasonable rates - competition obviously helps.

Closest we have to that kind of destination is Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays. I paid $3/ft there last year, and its quite similar wrt scope and use of amenities. There are a range of other resorts but none with substantial marinas. But the coast is relatively close and has good marinas at regional towns. The book '100 Magic Miles' is standard on board the charter fleet, and a great reference.
https://100magicmiles.com/

Cyclone Debbie made a mess, and it will take some time to fully repair. But much of the region is up and operating again already.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:33 AM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntervaleII View Post
Hi Donna, I would recommend bringing at least 2 extra props for your tender. Almost impossible to get one repaired or replaced if you spin yours.
Wow. Do you run your tender aground that often?

I'm sure the tender depends on what age and brand of motors, but there are prop shops all throughout the Bahamas. Prop Shop in Marsh Harbour, Frank and Jimmie's has a Nassau location, There's another in Marsh Harbour but I can't remember the name, but they're all located in the large boatyard there. Bradford Marine has a location in Freeport. Every major location in the Bahamas has boatyards.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:58 AM   #56
Guru

Someone needs polarised glasses and a cheap sounder in their dinghy.
Far cheaper than multiple spare props.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:48 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wow. Do you run your tender aground that often?

I'm sure the tender depends on what age and brand of motors, but there are prop shops all throughout the Bahamas. Prop Shop in Marsh Harbour, Frank and Jimmie's has a Nassau location, There's another in Marsh Harbour but I can't remember the name, but they're all located in the large boatyard there. Bradford Marine has a location in Freeport. Every major location in the Bahamas has boatyards.

Good luck finding one when you need it. How many times have you used on? Doesn't take much to spin a tender prop!
I typically cruise the remote islands south of Georgetown. If you cruise from marina to marina maybe easier to find a suitable repair shop.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:43 AM   #58
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Someone needs polarised glasses and a cheap sounder in their dinghy.
Far cheaper than multiple spare props.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:47 AM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntervaleII View Post
Good luck finding one when you need it. How many times have you used on? Doesn't take much to spin a tender prop!
I typically cruise the remote islands south of Georgetown. If you cruise from marina to marina maybe easier to find a suitable repair shop.
I think I've had one tender prop spin in the last 30 years. And I had not hit anything. Can't speak to the prior history of the prop.

I can see having one spare. But two is a bit of overkill IMO.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:55 AM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
$300 entry fee
No fresh food
Limited fuel
No Thanks
It's great for some.
Not for me.
Good. You've found your shallow comfort zone. Enjoy!

As to anyone else reading that post who is thinking about going to the Bahamas, most of what's on that list is false.