What did you fix on your boat today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Galley sink stopped draining. Easy job right? HA!
The girlfriend pulled everything from under the sink, could not loosen both end of the U fitting. Removed the the fittings from both sinks. Smart enough to put a 5 gallon under the sink that would not drain. Collected the used water and dumped it over the side. I found LOTS of grease, soap and 'stuff' clogging the pipe. Reassembled everything, no leaks. GF, Yen, sopped the spillage, cleaned inside the cabinet, put every back and I went to take a rather lengthy nap.
I have been collecting all the grease for the last 5 years. If I hadn't been collecting grease I would have had to do that job earlier. Now it is done and hope I do not have to revisit that job again. The pipe that connects the two sink drain and the U fitting were totally full.
The obvious question is, what can I put in the sink drain to prevent it from happening again? What do you recommend for the shower drain that wont ruin the shower drain pump??

What should have been a one hour job turned out to be a 3+ hour job and a 4 hour nap.

Last edited:
I have found using a cell phone or a cheap inspection camera are two of my most handy things to have around for repairs these days. A shaky video is better than nothing, especially at a later date when you need to remember a part#/serial# for something when you're ordering materials and the boat is hours away.

I agree. The cell phone is great, especially since I can't focus close anymore. Take a picture and expand it. I use it to track my hour meters.

The obvious question is, what can I put in the sink drain to prevent it from happening again? What do you recommend for the shower drain that wont ruin the shower drain pump??...

To keep the shower sump clean we use Raritan CP (Cleans Potties). Start with a clean sump and put an ounce or two in weekely and it stays clean for us.

It works for sink drains too but may take more time. Anytime we are going to be away for several days or more we put several ounces in the drain mixed with water enough to fill the trap or hose...seems to work. Use it for house drains too.

https://www.raritaneng.com/en_US/products/c-p-cleans-potties

Rick

See, right there, that's why I don't want to replace my broken radar array with something new and sexy and all HD and digital. Then I'll have to replace the multi-function display, then I'll have to replace the AIS unit, then I'll have to replace the VHF radio, then I'll have to replace the external VHF control in the salon, then I'll have to replace the old GPS mushrooms (all three of them), then I'll have to replace the antennas (all three of them), then I'll have to replace the two separate depth sounders, then I'll have to replace all the cables and connectors and snake them through the bowels of the ship through all the nooks and crannies. Nope. I'd rather go to a junkyard and pull a 2005 radar array out of pile of cast-offs. It's not even the money necessarily -- I don't have the time or patience for the Upgrade Aggravation in my life.
Let me know if you are interested in my 2000+ Raymarine NMEA 0183 radar array e120 mfd. autopilot and other stuff including cables available

Today???
Finished a re/re of my old Whale Gusher manual bilge pump with new rubber parts.

Finally got to use it a couple weeks ago to help a sinking boat, not mine.

Gen raw water exhaust flow decreases, steam and noisy. Bad timing as we have been in the Islands the past 2 weeks and I need it for making water, and the all important hot shower on the transom.

Strainer- clear.
Dove under the boat hoping to find something in the intake - nothing apparent there.
Pulled the hose off the thru hull 90 that leads to the strainer= bingo. Stuffed full of fine kelp.

We are back in business.

Gen raw water exhaust flow decreases, steam and noisy. Bad timing as we have been in the Islands the past 2 weeks and I need it for making water, and the all important hot shower on the transom.

Strainer- clear.
Dove under the boat hoping to find something in the intake - nothing apparent there.
Pulled the hose off the thru hull 90 that leads to the strainer= bingo. Stuffed full of fine kelp.

We are back in business.

Based on my own experience; if at all possible, avoid 90s. Use 2x45s instead. Same effect but the flow will be more 'smooth' and stuff will flow to the strainer.
Per plugged hoses; be aware of the problem, rod or replaced the hose as necessary.

Last edited:
I replaced the water filter and cleaned the sink nozzle. Filled the water tanks and had a beer to honor FF.

2510B2E5-4D12-472A-8040-C4369F9AF292.jpg

Actually took a break from boat work this past month and a half,only changing fuel filters and oil bypass filter,will resume boatwork in october

I turned the breaker for the FW pump off. No pressure in the system, no leak. I am assuming that this means the tanks themselves aren't the issue.

Also means the leak is on the pressure side of the pump, not the feed side.
Do you have a sink (head or galley) above that fuel tank?
Oh, you have a GB, check the connection to your deck wash faucet.

Back
Top Bottom