What is it called??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LongMistyDays

Vessel Name
Pacific Dream
Vessel Make
CHB Heritage 38
Hi All,
I am new to the forum and new to trawlers. Purchased a CHB Heritage 38 this fall after 30+ years on sailboats. I am getting to know my way around a bit, but still feel very green with both the handling aspect of the boat and all the different 'parts' on a trawler to which I am unaccustomed. I do like to know the correct name for things and I have searched extensively online and cannot find reference to, or the name of, what I might call the 'stempost' or the cylindrical post anchored on the foredeck, directly behind the windlass with a 'T' crossbar at the top. Because of the angle of the chain as it exits the bow roller, a chain stopper would not be feasible, so I presume this 'post' is used to attach a rope and take the torque off the windlass when setting anchor? What is it's proper name. Thanks, Chris.

Sampson post is what I know it as.

Hi Chris,

As other's have said, "Sampson post". It would be used to secure a rope rode, or as you surmised, to secure a line that is attached to the chain to take the load off the windlass.

Thanks to those who replied. As far as getting to know my way around our new trawler, I better start doing so on this site! This should have been posted in the 'General Discussion' section; sorry for the oversight. I was having trouble figuring out how to generate a new topic thread and ended up here in the 'how-to' section. Won't happen again! Sampson post... I actually have heard of that; very glad to know the correct nomenclature. Thanks again. Chris.

Welcome aboard! The samson post is multi use, a glorified cleat, it can also take the bow dockline when alongside, or a mooring ball line, or be a towing point. It`s strength depends how well it`s secured to the boat, I know of 2 instances where overloading led to movement at the attachment,and water entering,causing rot. But generally it`s a robust item, thus its name with I guess, its biblical origins.

Last edited:
This 'Sampson post' was redone on my boat just before I bought it and oddly enough BruceK, that was one of my first concerns looking at it, movement. In checking it out further I note it is through-bolted to the foredeck and the upper attachment point also securely bolted to the aft end of the 'bowsprit plank' (again, not sure what you call that thing either!) so I think I can use it as a chain snubber for initial set and then run ropes down through the hawseholes to clip on to the chain and be the permanent snubbers during extended anchorages.

Attachments

• thumbnail (14).jpg
    thumbnail (14).jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 13
P.S. To those looking at that anchor and wondering 'what the heck' I have already replaced it with a beautiful 45# stainless Bruce-style claw anchor that sits nice and fair, the shank horizontal and laying flat on the 'bowspriti plank' (Would someone please correct me on that name too!!) Chris.

Back
Top Bottom