What to call it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodearth

I just purchased a 1991 Tollycraft 44 and just don't know what to call it I know it's a motor yacht but is it considered a trawler as well?

goodearth wrote:

I just purchased a 1991 Tollycraft 44 and just don't know what to call it I know it's a motor yacht but is it considered a trawler as well?

TrawlerCraft
hmm.gif

MotorTrawler
ashamed.gif

Yachtawler
bleh.gif

Just having some fun...to hot to sand on the boat today.

No. It's a cruiser and so are all the other pleasure boats being called trawlers. But within popular acceptance standards I'd say it's still not a trawler as it's got no keel. goodearth, is there something about a Tollycraft that makes you think it's a trawler? If you want to be part of this group * *.. not to worry. There's quite a few boats that are not trawlers on this forum. There's a lot of people that don't have a very specific idea of what a trawler is and if you really want to get mixed up look at C-Dory adds that call them "the trailerable trawler". Go figure and then come up w your own definition but in any event you'll be welcome here.

Eric Henning

To build on what Eric wrote, while no recreational boat is really a trawler (unless the owner uses it to pull trawl gear through the water) the generally accepted definition of a recreational trawler is a boat with lines and configuration/aesthetic characteristics that were at least derived from working fishing boats along with somewhat similar operating characteristics--- slow speed, economical running, etc.

In the case of a Grand Banks and other similar boats, the hull shape from an aesthetic standpoint is similar to a working boat's. It's not the same underwater, of course, with it's hard chine, fairly flat-bottomed after-body. Working fish boats are almost always displacement boats, not semi-planing boats (except for lobsterboats). The GB's superstructure, with its helm station near the front of the boat behind a short forecabin, is similar in style to the pilothouse and cuddy cabin of a working boat.* And instead of a fish well, the original GB design, the "Classic" tri-cabin, has a cabin sunk into the hull where the fish well would be.

Most Tollycraft designs are patterned after the so-called "cabin cruiser" configuration that originated with makes like Chris Craft and the like. Designed from the outset to be pleasure craft, their designs are optimized for recreational use.* No attempt was made to convey the aesthetics of a working fishboat.

But "trawler" has become a marketing term these days, as the name implies sturdy construction, seaworthiness, and economic operation. So anyone marketing a boat that wants to imply that it has these qualites--- regardless of what it looks like-- tacks the "trawler" name onto it.

So while one can call a boat anything one wants, I do not consider Tollycrafts, Hatteras cruisers, etc. to be "trawlers."

Attached is a photo*I snagged off the web of a working troller (so even it isn't a trawler but it has lines that have been used for smaller working trawlers). You can see where the inspiration for boats like the Grand Banks, CHB, etc. came from.

All this said, there is nothing in this forum other than the name that implies that the owners of non-trawler-type boats need not apply.* Regardless of the physical configuration, most recreational cruising boats use similar systems and components, so what applies to a 'true" trawler (however you want to define that)*generally applies to other types of cruising boats as well.

So the information and discussions on this forum are pretty non-denominational.

Attachments

• troller 1.jpg
    troller 1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 56
Aft Cabin Motoryacht ACMY

Cockpit Motoryacht if you are talking about the 40+4 version of the Tolly CPMY

Welcome aboard. And like Marin said, we don't discriminate around here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom