Old 07-18-2020, 12:57 PM   #1
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
What boats did you grow up with?

Yes - I'm making too many posts on this forum because I have too much time on my hands. It seems we will not be able to get to our boat to use it at all this year, due to Covid-19.

In the mean time, I thought it might be interesting to for us to share the boats we grew up with. I'm sure a great many of us had parents and grandparents that were involved in boating.

What boats were in your family when you were a child?

I'll start:

- Canoe

- 16' 1939 Century inboard. Came with the cottage my dad bought in 1966. This is where I made my first mental note to avoid anything that involves varnish.

- 17' 1966 Starcraft. Johnson outboard. Aluminum. First time water skiing

- 20' 1968 Iola Molded Plastics (IMP) Aztec V. Mercruiser Inboard. A much better ski boat! Loved this boat!

- 32' 1964 Owens express. Twin gas. Hard chine. Pounded like the dickens in rough weather.

- 34' 1968 Pacemaker double cabin. This is where I must have made a mental note to avoid wood boats entirely in the future.

- 38' 1970 Bertram Salon cruiser (Double cabin) Twin Mercruiser gas. I liked this boat a LOT...because It would go fast and the forward cabin was MINE!

- 44' 1980 Marine Trader. Solid - but required lots of maintenance, right from the beginning.... even though it was new.

- 49' 1987 Gulfstar Motor Yacht. My dad acquired this long after I moved away, so I didn't get to experience this much. He used it going from Maine to FL on the ICW & to the Bahamas.

Reflecting back on all these boats, I think I probably spent more time working on them than enjoying the use of them. Nevertheless, the experiences were invaluable in giving me confidence for beginning my own boating hobby much later in life.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
My father had a 9.9 hp outboard and rented boats. Then when I was 13, in 1983 he bought me a 17' Sea Ray. Shortly thereafter he got a 40' fishing boat with a 40 hp Evinrude.

In 1988, I traded for a 22' Sea Ray Pachanga.

In 1993, I traded for a 24' Sea Ray Bowrider.

In 1999, I traded for a 25' Cobalt Bowrider.

That was the boat I owned when I met my wife.

In 2007, we traded for a 30' Cobalt Bowrider. WOT was over 50 knots.

We sold that when we moved to Fort Lauderdale in 2012. Prior to 2012, all our boating was on a lake except one trip with friends on the TN River and TN Tom.

All my boats got very high usage for a lake as I boated year round when possible. I averaged over 400 hours a year until 1989. Then it dropped to 300 hours or so.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Duvall
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: Mainship 430
1960 or so at Morro Bay CA boat basin
I am blond girl in back. Home built boat purchased from an uncle. Wooden hull, metal roof, Willis(?)jeep engine. No real life jackets, we knew how to swim so didn't those. Seat cushions were all we needed. No radio.

If it was Saturday we went out. Coming back, my dad would surf the entrance by the 10E buoy. Scary days.
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1595100343659.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	105165
tisado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:18 PM   #4
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I grew up with a row boat with a 71/2 Johnson outboard, a non-class sail boat, International 110 sailboat, a nuclear powered submarine, Folbot and then a destroyer. At some point I seemed to have stopped growing in height and now, I am expanded at my waist line.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:42 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
My uncle had a wood inboard cabin boat of some local make. Every year we scraped and painted so that we might go fishing once before catastrophe struck. Seemed like it sunk every year. He had one engine in the boat and 3 others in his garage as spares. My dad dreamed of owning an inboard garvey. A wood Garvey! Please no wood. I bought a 10’ Jon boat and 4 hp Evinrude with grass cutting money. Dad and I eventually settled for a 16’7 Boston Whaler then a 19’ Mako for fishing.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #6

City: League City TX
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
My childhood friend's Dad had a 30 something Chris Craft. Hardly ever took it out but we went many weekends so he could work on it and Patrick and I would take the tender and go cat fishing and exploring.

Later on my now ex-wife's Mom and step dad had a 28 foot sloop. We went on many day sails in San Francisco bay. Exciting scary and fun. Later they bought a 38 Foot Irwin Ketch. Anchored out many weekends. This has led me to have a lifelong dream of my own boat. I think I'll be ready to start looking - in person - in a couple of months.
BogCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:54 PM   #7
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
My single mother couldn't afford a boat so my brothers and I got jobs on sport fishing boats at very young ages. After school and marriage, I couldn't afford a boat raising kids and paying our mortgage so my water fix was surfboards and surf skis (fast kayaks). We could finally afford a boat 10 years ago. On our 3rd boat, and I love being out there as much as when I was 12 years old on the old sport fishers. My knees wouldn't handle a surfboard very well these days, so the timing worked out well. Every day on the water is a gift.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:11 PM   #8

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
Starting age ten, two weeks every summer up to Northern Wisconsin and my dad rented me a 14’ wooden boat and gave me aN old 5hp Evinrude. 2 weeks of absolute joy fishing with my “once a year friend”. Hooked for life.
MMSI 368040370
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:23 PM   #9
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
We had lots of them living on a houseboat on Lake Union in Seattle in the 50's and 60's. One of my favorites was a 12' steel lifeboat that came off one of my dads tugs. I rowed that sucker all over from the Locks to Portage Bay. Also had various dinks and one 16' Banks style dory. Probably the neatest boat was a miniature of a local tugboat called the Susan H which was about 65' long, our little mini was just 12' IIRC. But being a scaled down tug hull it was quite deep and had a 10HP inboard in it. It actually pulled pretty well, I remember my dad using it to move one of his old 90' wood scows with it once.
My older brother was forever thumping me around for forgetting to open the raw water before blasting off!
This is me sitting in it getting ready for another adventure on the lake.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200718_0002.jpg  
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Fulton, Missouri
Vessel Name: The Old Blue Chair
Vessel Model: Defever 48
None.

Got my first boat at age 35, have worked into it since then.
micksbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:09 PM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
My parents did not have enough time or cash for recreational toys.

But I lived about half a mile from a lake and knew a kid that lived on the lake. His parents had a Gary 18 Flattie and took me sailing. I was hooked. They had a neighbor that bought a C-Lark who had two daughters that did not want to sail so needed crew. He taught me to sail and crewed for him on races on the lake. He taught me about maintenance and repairing things and I took care of his boat in return for a sail. Word got around and I got asked to crew on Thistles, Lightnings, Stars and other day sailors.

When I was about 12 or 13, I saved up enough money from mowing, paper routes and other jobs to build an El Toro sailboat in Junior High Wood Shop. I had purchased the plans and showed it to my shop teacher. He got all excited about the project and made it OK with administration even though a boat exceeded the project rules. The teacher would let me in to the classroom on weeknights and weekends so we could finish the boat. Finished the boat and sailed it for one summer. I built a dolly for the 8' sailboat and pushed it half a mile to get it to the boat ramp every day. Sold the El Toro at the end of summer at a pretty good profit.

Using the El Toro profit, built a 14' Trumbley sloop. Joe Trumbley was a Boat Building Instructor at Bates Vocational School that I met through my boating acquaintances and he sold me line drawings for a boat he had designed. I built the Trumbley at an Army Base Boatbuilding Shop.

One of the people I crewed for let me keep the Trumbley on their dock and I sailed it for a year until I got my drivers license. Kept the sailboat for a few more years with occasional use until I got into auto crossing and sold it.

Crewed for other people for a while. Lasers, Hobies, Thunderbirds.

Late 70's restored a wood Lightning, sailed it one summer and sold it. Did the same with a wood Star. Bought ugly colored used FG Lasers, painted them white and sold those after sailing them during summer.

Got into salmon fishing in the late 70's and bought a 17' Glassply Outboard. Sold that and bought a 34' Mainship in the mid 80's. Sold that in 2000 and bought Sandpiper, a 40' Bluewater, which we still have..
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Southampton
The general consensus is I haven't grown up. As a child we had an 18' locally built wooden boat powered with a 25hp universal marine. We also had a wood punt. When I was 10 my parents bought a 20' Correct Craft powered with a 225hp Chrysler Marine and a 7.5' fibreglass punt with a 1.5hp British Seagull outboard. Along the way we also acquired a Laser and an 11' Boston Whaler.
Recb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:52 PM   #13
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
My dad was a marine chief engineer, we lived on a river. The first boat I remember was a WWII rubber liferaft. The kind dropped to downed aircrew. It was good for fishing in still water and no wind. Later my dad and mom's brothers built a large planked row boat that I learned to row on. It was heavy and stable, not like the aluminum ones today. When I was 7, I got to use it myself and got to use an outboard when I was 9. It was my babysitter. Now days my parents probably woulda been arrested.
At 7, about 1955, I got to go with my dad on a Liberty ship from Astoria to San Pedro to new owners, APL bought it out of the mothball fleet. Most of the crew were relatives. My extended family had a business breaking out mothballed ships and getting them running again. Later I got to make other trips. I was hooked.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:20 AM   #14
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
There was only one really important boat when I was a kid. My stepfather's '85 Sea Sprite 285 Escapade, called 'Over the Wall.'

I loved that thing. For years we spent every weekend aboard. It's a huge part of what made me who I am today. I was the luckiest kid in the world.
Attached Thumbnails
wallatStJohnsville.jpg   crossingontario.jpg   boatsatbeach.jpg   alisondrivinthewall.jpg  
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:42 AM   #15
Guru

City: Vermont
Mine was a 16', 7" Boston Whaler, not to be confused with the later 17' models. It was a 1965 hull, with a 1969 Johnson 60hp that we bought in 1974 when I was 14. That got me totally hooked on boats.

In the late 70's I took it to upstate NY where I was in college, and futzed around in the Mohawk River which is also the Erie Canal in that area. Went through one or two locks, and started to wonder where it all went. Then I discovered "cool", you can get to the ocean via NYC, the Great Lakes, then back to the Ocean again via the St Lawrence, and though "I'll do that loop some day".

Dial forward to 2010, and I dragged my wife on the Downeast loop. She was a bit skeptical, though also an avid boater. That trip got us hooked on distance cruising, and it's never been the same since.

BTW, I still have the Whaler.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:48 AM   #16
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Had a lot of fun zooming around in my Dads 14' Starcraft with a 33hp Johnson!
Attached Thumbnails
me.jpg  
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:24 AM   #17
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Like the OP, our first boat in 1966 (I was 10) was a 15' Starcraft fiberglass ski boat, with a 40hp Johnson We did not live near big water, so it was lake skiing. We had a series of ski boats til I left for college - then my parents bought a motorhome. My next boat was a 1965 28' Chris Craft Cavalier cabin cruiser on a large lake - purchased it in 1984 at age 28. Sold it about five yrs later, and then had a Catalina 22 sailboat on the same large lake. Sold it in 2005. Nothing except canoes until we purchased our 42' CHB Present two yrs ago. Plans to start the LOOP this fall are a bit fluid- pun intended.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:58 AM   #18
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
I grew up with the same 38 foot Chris Craft I currently own. First time on board I was 3 days old. Previous owners were my grandparents, so when it was time for them to sell, my boat buying decision was basically made for me. For now, I've got no urge to upgrade, so this boat will likely stay until I have a reason to change to something significantly different.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:24 AM   #19
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
First was my mom's 18 foot Old Town canoe when I was very young. She still has it!

My dad built 2 small narrow hulls for kids, we could rig them as a catamaran or as a couple of outriggers, one with a lateen rigged sail. The "sailboat" was my first real solo cruise on a high lake in Oregon, where I immediately blew down wind onto a rocky shore and had to figure out how to tack upwind to get back. Those boats set the hook.

Neighbor gave us a 17 foot clapped out wood skiff with 5 HP Johnson. We fixed the leaks, made the motor run and landed Dungeness crabs for years in that boat.

Then a 14 foot plywood outboard with a Johnson that would pull a water skier (my mom used to be on the water ski squad at Cypress Gardens).

A nice 16 foot Bayliner with 85 Evinrude followed that, great ski boat!

Those were good times.

I built a nice stitch & glue rowboat in '93, still have it.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:36 AM   #20
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
30' cruiser built by Edwards Boat yard circa 1930 - she still exists
21' Owens (or was it Trojan?) outboard cruiser
25' cruiser (builder unknown but they specialized in building garage doors -- she sank at the mooring 1 week after we sold her)
12' O'Day Widgeon
22' Columbia 22
29' Pearson Triton
32' Pearson 323
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote