What a bill should say ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ctbarbarian

Veteran Member
I'm having a refit done (very slowly) for 1988 3818 Bayliner.

What should I expect to see on the bill as I pay it?
Hours of labor ? rate of labor
Parts and cost each.
Shop costs ?
Where the parts came from ?

I predict I will get a single piece of paper with a $ number
and no specifics.
I don't want to tick off the yard people because he is hard to work
with and I don't have a lot of options.

You are purchasing their labour, unless you gave them carte blanche, they need to invoice you or it didn't happen. Get them to bring you up to date or get them to stop. Sounds like a home renovation scam...

I'm having a refit done (very slowly) for 1988 3818 Bayliner.

What should I expect to see on the bill as I pay it?
Hours of labor ? rate of labor
Parts and cost each.
Shop costs ?
Where the parts came from ?

I predict I will get a single piece of paper with a $ number
and no specifics.
I don't want to tick off the yard people because he is hard to work
with and I don't have a lot of options.

Your bill(s) should mostly mirror the previous work estimate(s) you have received from them with the exception of changes made that you have authorized (signed off on).
There will be no misunderstandings on either side if you follow that common sense approach.

Definitely the hourly rate times the number of hours and what you're being charged for materials. I would not accept a 1 line item labled "materials" though.....you want to know what was changed. Some places may have a generic "miscelaneous hardware" line for hose clamps, nuts and incidental stuff. You could always ask to settle up what's been done so far, and you'll see what their billing practice is. Since most places are computerized, I doubt you'll get a handwritten, 1-number bill.

The invoice should be broken out to reflect labor, material, shop fees and taxes. Plain and simple. Anything else is subject to heartburn on your part.

Did they specify how often you will pay? Most likely a weekly or monthly bill would be expected unless you have history with the yard. Would expect most questions to be answered with that first bill. If not, don't be afraid to talk with them before it gets out of hand.

Ted

The invoice should be broken out to reflect labor, material, shop fees and taxes. Plain and simple. Anything else is subject to heartburn on your part.

Exactly. Some "good ol' boy" boatyards are skillful at signaling that, if you'll leave them alone and not bug them about the paperwork, they'll "take care of you." I don't buy it. Most folks (including boatyard owners) prefer to feel they are getting full value for their money. If you act as if you don't, people take it as an invitation to slip their hand into your pocket.

The least you should expect is a weekly update as to materials and labor. The bigger the boat, the more often I check in with the office and ask to see where my tab stands.

Engine work

If your refit includes any engine work, make sure they state which engine was worked on and what was done. I have extensive work billing, on my boat, paid by previous owner with no reference to port or starboard or gen set. Very hard to establish a work / repair log. Only way I was able to get some log data entered was look for disturbed fasteners and newer looking parts, i.e. oil pressure sender.

Just had a DD 6-71 rebuilt. Mechanic gave me a sheet of paper .. rebuild port Engine. $21,000.

I don't think so. Proper invoice with pertinent information please.
He complied because it was the only way he would get paid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom