What is the best response?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a Yacht Broker. I've had old men tear up, women hit me crying "you sold my boat" (even though that's what they hired me to do). For true boaters it's sad day when they sell, even if they are getting a bigger, newer, "better boat". It's more of a part of them and their story. For those that don't get it, they never will.

My wife cried when we sold our first boat (we owned it for 9 years). We had already bought a new boat and were eager to not own 2 boats. It was not a surprise.

She said all her boating memories and 'boating firsts' were on that boat.

This, and the whole "do you know what boat stands for" question irritate the piss out of me.

My response to that one "Ya, boating is not for the faint of wallet. If dropping a grand is over your head, then so is boating".

I just shake my head and say 'sorry, you just don't get it, do ya'

Thank You all for your great responses, you have reinforced the belief that boating and salt are in my soul and unless you are like me, you will never understand and I will not be able to change their mind. Happy cruising to all.

Don't forget the old Navy saying...

The old, very salty, retiring chief petty officer was asked what the first thing he was going to do when he retired.... he said " I am going to buy an oar and drive inland till someone asks me what that thing is for", then settle down there".

Having salt in your veins can be a lot of things...

I just say: "Love of the Sea is the cult of my days; I make sacrifices for her and observe her laws."

I too have always inwardly cringed at this remark.

Me too... My standard issue comeback to that is: The person (I usually use a-hole instead of person) that came up with that stupid saying was obviously not a boater.

The funny thing is, I rarely hear these sayings from actual boaters. I hear them from ex-boaters or non-boaters. The statements are almost always followed with "My brother...."; "My Brother-in-law....."; "My Friend.....".

I'm glad it's not for everyone. I wish LESS people loved it. ;) LOL!!!

Response would depend on recent events. For me, it was the birth of grandson Bodhi and waking from open-heart surgery.

Jesus you guys need to chill out a bit, their just boats.

I don't get too attached to "the Boat" , I live for the experience it gives me.

I guess the most emotional I have got selling any of my boats has been to get a bit sentimental, but again it's the experience I remember not the specific boat.
I guess I am still stepping forward in boats so I am still looking for the " perfect" one. Almost every time I have sold a boat its to move up, So I guess I am the only one here who is happy on the day I sell one .. but I am looking to the next one with anticipation.

I lot of the time my boats are a pain in the ass and cause me much grief doing maintenance, haul outs, upgrades, varnish, working on the head, changing fluids, cleaning seagull or otter crap etc.

Its only the things we get to experience and the family bonding time that makes all the work worth it. If I want to practice my building and maker skills a nice home built plane in a nice warm ( or cool ) hangar sounds like a lot more fun.. but the plane wont provide the hours of time with the family a boat does.

HOLLYWOOD

OK, I finally came up with a good retort:

"I've heard people say that the two best days..."

"Yes, I've known people like that. And the day they sold was a good day for all of us real boaters, too."

Boat lovers are kinda like Animal lovers. Ya gotta be both responsible and responsive to their needs. They are no more accountable for peeing in the corner than they are for providing magic moments.

Boat lovers are kinda like Animal lovers. Ya gotta be both responsible and responsive to their needs. They are no more accountable for peeing in the corner than they are for providing magic moments.

Just like a dog will let you know she's got to pee, a boat will let you know something's wrong...if you look and pay attention.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom