Old 11-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #21
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Just bought a Bullfrog and used it on the cruise this fall. My impressions so far:

It is heavy.
It is indestructible.
It rows very well, compared to any inflatable I've owned.
It will do less damage to your topsides than a hard dinghy, but maybe more than an inflatable.

Like anything in boating, a compromise, but worth considering. Especially if you have the lift capacity for the extra 100 lbs or so.

DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #22
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

No worries, it was a good call. Just explaining my possible oversight. I like the idea of aluminum because I occasionally like to tow the dink, and would prefer to beach the dinghy (I anchor it and wade in now).

At the risk of hijacking the thread (apologies to the OP). You and I are neighbors kchace. I live in Nashua.

Cool. Maybe we can get together some time.

kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
We have Williams as we like jets but if going with an outboard, I'd rank Novurania #1 and AB a very close second. Novurania will cost more and the main difference is that they may be dressed up a little fancier.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Anyone in the San Diego area have a Bull Frog I can see?
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:39 AM   #25
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
I've never had any luck with inflatables, between leaks and vandals slashing them they are not suitable for me.
When in Australia I noticed that they used tube covers to stop UV degradation on the inflatables, I thought that was a brilliant idea.
I can dig out a photo if anyone's interested.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Little Fish
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 39
I have a Bullfrog 10 foot tender with a 20HP Honda outboard. It is somewhat heavy (I would estimate 450 pounds ready to go), but I have a strong lifting boom/winch system that handles it easily.
It is very stable (and quite fast) underway, particularly up on the plane, which is very easy to accomplish with the Honda. Off the plane the bow high attitude is definitely evident, but not a serious hindrance. The bench seats are quite nice, as is the steering wheel/station.
The boat is very well built and essentially indestructible. It has a thick aluminum hull and roto-formed tube construction, so if you are interested in taking it ashore at harsh locations, that is a non issue. It's not for everybody, but if it's features and strength are what one needs, it's hard to beat.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:30 PM   #27

City: Lutz
The best inflatable is the one that does not leak! Recently have had 2-Zodiac Wave 10-2 No leaks- before Achilles no leaks- before Force 4 fom NZ-- horror show- before- AB 11ft with console --- a leak impossible to fix on a 20k boat plus way out of practicable balance with nose way up.. Conclusion-- cost does not relate to reliability in the inflatable world.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:46 PM   #28
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
^^ Hence the love for the Bullfrog....
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:39 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Like many have said, it depends on how you are gonna use it. Get one that will plane....and put the biggest motor on it that it will handle. Definitely get hypalon if you are going inflatable. Also get the double floor/flat floor. I cheaped out on my most recent West Marine 310 and got the single floor. It really is tricky stepping into the boat. Most people are off balance anyway when you are going from the mothership to the dinghy. Add an uneven floor into the mix and it is a shit show....and I am a pretty agile person!!! Lesson learned.

One brand people have mentioned is Caribe/Nautica. The one thing I have noticed with this brand is the deep Vee and the deadrise all the way back. It makes for a very smooth riding boat and a dry boat. I have a CL14 with a 60hp Yamaha....very nice boat.

I have had an AB290 double floor. A West Marine 310 single floor. And a Caribe CL14 center console....all hypalon They all haved served their purpose well. The AB was definitely a better boat than the WM. I bought the WM on sale for $1700...that is pretty damn cheap for a hypalon boat. I have had it for 4 years and so far so good. But you can definitely tell the build quality is not as good as either AB or Caribe. It holds air and it floats....what more can you ask for!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #30

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: La Bella Vita
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
I just finished my search. Ended up with less than I wanted. I have 1 piece of advise. I wanted Hypalon and a "roll up". I don't like leaving the boat inflated on the deck or on davits. That's a personal choice. I got a good deal on a Hypalon dink, but it has a floor. I hate it.
My advise is, think about the features you want and then go and buy THAT. Do Not Settle for less. I saved a few hundred dollars, but now I am stuck with an expensive mistake.

I would have been much happier with a roll up floor.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #31
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly View Post
I just finished my search. Ended up with less than I wanted. I have 1 piece of advise. I wanted Hypalon and a "roll up". I don't like leaving the boat inflated on the deck or on davits. That's a personal choice. I got a good deal on a Hypalon dink, but it has a floor. I hate it.
My advise is, think about the features you want and then go and buy THAT. Do Not Settle for less. I saved a few hundred dollars, but now I am stuck with an expensive mistake.

I would have been much happier with a roll up floor.

I wonder why you wanted Hypalon if you were going with a roll-up. If you aren't storing the dinghy out in the sun for extended periods, it seems to me that PVC would be a better value?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #32

City: Missoula, MT
Vessel Name: At Last
We bought a 10 ft BRIG made from Hypalon and so far, enjoying it. It's less than a year old, though, so no long term results to share.
lensming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #33

City: Shelter Island NY
Vessel Name: One ton Tomato
Vessel Model: Camano
easy answer

As a person who has unfortunately had way to many dinghies. I have found the best, a Highfield. Aluminum hull which is more durable and lighter than the Mercury I had prior.

They have a great warranty, did I mention how my Mercury gave out 5 years and 1 month to the day I bought it? Yep a 5 year warranty..

The tubes are larger, and that is the key, go with the biggest tube for safety and comfort..

Oh and they are almost the same price as a Mercury and much cheaper than an exotic..

I hope this helps..
Hwhit44886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #34

City: Milford Connecticut
Walker Bay Genesis all day long!

Future Liveaboard. Here to soak up knowledge good and bad. I'm a Veteran and Proud of it. __/)__ Fins up!
Ctsearay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #35

City: Florida
For live-aboard or extended cruising, a flat floor is essential. Think about trying to carry laundry and groceries in a dinghy that always has a little water in the "V" of the floor. We've got a 12' hypalon Novurania that is 19 years old. It's in the sun 100% of the time the sun is shining, never covered. After 19 years, the hypalon has completely worn away in multiple areas (the black areas in the pics below). I dreaded the thought of having to spend thousands of dollars to replace it since the hull is still in decent shape. Decided to try the liquid rubber inflatable boat paint. Sealed the tubes with Toobseal then prepped per directions and applied the Liquid Rubber. Wow! Stuff can be bought at Inflatable Boat Parts. If you're looking to safe some $$$, consider a used dinghy and a refurb!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow-Before.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	82754 Click image for larger version

Name:	Stern-Before.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	82756
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow-After.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	82755Click image for larger version

Name:	Stern-After.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	82757
MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #36
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Dutch Barge Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign Luxe Motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
For live-aboard or extended cruising, a flat floor is essential. Think about trying to carry laundry and groceries in a dinghy that always has a little water in the "V" of the floor. We've got a 12' hypalon Novurania that is 19 years old. It's in the sun 100% of the time the sun is shining, never covered. After 19 years, the hypalon has completely worn away in multiple areas (the black areas in the pics below). I dreaded the thought of having to spend thousands of dollars to replace it since the hull is still in decent shape. Decided to try the liquid rubber inflatable boat paint. Sealed the tubes with Toobseal then prepped per directions and applied the Liquid Rubber. Wow! Stuff can be bought at Inflatable Boat Parts. If you're looking to safe some $$$, consider a used dinghy and a refurb!

Attachment 82754 Attachment 82756
Attachment 82755Attachment 82757

Nice work but you're killing me. I already restore old appliances, motorcycles, and other things found around the home. Now I want to go buy worn out dinks and save them. I think I have the lost animal syndrome when it comes to material things, especially if it has an engine.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #37

City: Grenadines
I love inflatable dinghies, but I dislike RIBS. I won't have one.

I've always used real inflatable boats with good floorboards, out of wood or aluminum.
We are currently on our second Zodiac Mark 1 classic. Our last one lasted nearly ten years of very hard service. It never had a leak, not once! We are 100% liveaboards and a charter boat, so our dinghy is used somewhere around 350 days a year. And we use it hard! It has a 4 stroke 15 on it and it will run @ about 15 knots with 4 adults and some luggage, more like 35 with my wife alone! We don't like crowds, so we'll anchor out a bit and use the dink, at cruising speed almost always (no, no wake zones down here) from our anchorage to shore.
I don't think anyone who knows inflatable boats would argue that the Zodiac inflatables marketed under their own brand (the ones made in France) are the best-made inflatables. So much so that they come with a 5-year warranty.
Price wise, I find them most competitive, at least from Defender. We paid just over $2800.00 plus shipping to Grenada for our Mark 1 Classic, 11'6" with aluminum floorboards last year.
If we get 9 years of nearly daily use (not seasonal!) out of this one, that would make it one of the cheapest and most trouble free inflatables on the market.
One last consideration. A RIB cannot be deflated and stored below, away from the elements and thieves, as a true inflatable one can. Or rolled up and thrown in the trunk or lick up bed.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #38
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctsearay View Post
Walker Bay Genesis all day long!
Had one. I would never recommend them to anyone based on my experience with Walker Bay.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ats-39184.html
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #39
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
Decided to try the liquid rubber inflatable boat paint. Sealed the tubes with Toobseal then prepped per directions and applied the Liquid Rubber. Wow! Stuff can be bought at Inflatable Boat Parts.
Bixler's, owners of inflatableboatparts, are the people to go to. Inflatable Boat Repair Kits, ToobSeal Inflatable Boat Repair Sealant And SoftChocks Dinghy Chocks. By Bixlers Marine Inc.

Their cleaners are superb. Their repair kits and replacement parts. Most of all their knowledge. If you need to know anything about maintaining or repairing a dinghy, they're the people to call.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #40

Just went through this myself. Really liked the AB with the aluminum bottom for lightness but quite expensive new and not many used around. Buddy of mine was at the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show and came across a Brig Falcon console model with a 30HP Honda BRAND NEW. Boat and motor weigh in at 485 lbs. Add 100 lbs for battery and fuel and still comes in at 45 lbs lighter than the aluminum AB with same HP. Oh, yeah, $12,500 BRAND NEW! Best boat show price we got on the aluminum AB was $22,400. Check out Sirocco Marine.
Jerry Rogers
Whisky Business

jerry rogers is offline   Reply With Quote