What is the best dog life jacket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unclematt

Vessel Name
Seaview
Vessel Make
Sundowner 32
What brands are best?? USA made preferred. With strong lift handle to get her in the boat. What kind of dog you may ask. I am rescuing a 5 year old 45 lb Fox Hound. Thanks to my dog lovers. :dance:

Outward Hound makes good ones.

Most dog floatation devices are not fit for purpose. Our dog nearly drowned getting a front leg up through the neck of her first life vest, sending her face into the water while her other front leg flailed around helplessly, pushing her further downward. It was very distressing for us both! After that I won't put her in anything that doesn't come down over the chest and between the front legs with a snug fit - like a harness. (In other words, I'd caution against a design like Outward Hound.) We've found Red Original to be among the very best, I highly recommend it. She still hates the water but at least the thing meant to save her won't kill her, and it doesn't interfere with movement out of the water much either. https://redoriginal.com/products/dog-buoyancy-aid

Very pleased with Ruffwear for our sheltie @ about 23 lbs and they come in a good range of sizes. Fortunately we’ve not had to dunk-test, but body support, apparent tolerance, and the lift handle are fine. US company but not sure about where manufacturing happens.

https://ruffwear.com/collections/dog-life-jackets

We use Frisco. I understand the concern about a dog's leg coming through the neck opening, but whatever you buy, it just needs to fit very well so that doesn't happen. We learned dogs' bodies vary so much (depth of chest, width of shoulders, etc.) that you really have to try it and fit it in person at a pet supply store. Ordering online, you'll just be depending on wild luck for a good fit.

https://www.chewy.com/frisco-neopre...H7wgMwkq72p5sBwaZ2Hh_LIgkAb6yclMaAm8_EALw_wcB

interesting thread....numbers 7 & 8 on that list of "best" are the first ones I've seen that didn't look like a winter coat. Living in a warm climate that's something I've been on the lookout for since we got our dog several months ago. A lot of them just don't look like they'd be all that comfortable for long wear, especially in the heat.

I have always wondered my not more inflatables. My two dogs are small and love the water but i find the preserver causes them to underestimate there width . I struggle with the preserver being the cause of an overboard then a life saver. I still use them but they make me nervous sometimes. I just wish they were not so thick.

Ooh inflatables would be a good idea! I'm sure it'll not be long until that technology is being used for water sports/activities as it is starting to be used for many land based activities now!

We use a neoprene one that seems more slimline and less bulky as the foam pads seem to be higher up on his back rather than on his sides (if you know what I mean)
https://cozy-pooch.com/products/neoprene-dog-life-jacket-khaki

Also I agree with kthoennes, fit is really important as every dog is different. Must have been terrifying when your dogs leg got stuck!

We have an 85 pound Black Lab. This jacket works well for lifting him up and down. Has 2 handles and encases his body so the lifting is spread out evenly.
Outward Hound Dog Life Jacket
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081XIK4Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Got it on Amazon.

Maybe a year ago I reviewed all the jackets I could find for 80 and 30 lb Goldendoodles. The one you have stood out. 2 handles, front flap, color and reasonable price.

Until last summer I did not think a 75 Boxer could swim. But he did, just jumped in and swam about 20 feet away until I called out where are you going, he turned around back to the swimgrid where I hauled him onboard.

Yes up until that day he always wore a jacket. I may sell the jacket one day.

Interesting how many of those jackets; camouflage, blue, matte green etc. would disappear 30 feet from the stern in some light chop around here. They must be dock jackets, I guess.

How would an inflatable work? Auto wouldn't work with dogs which routinely jump in on a whim and I doubt they could be trained to pull the yellow handle.

Interesting how many of those jackets; camouflage, blue, matte green etc. would disappear 30 feet from the stern in some light chop around here. They must be dock jackets, I guess.

How would an inflatable work? Auto wouldn't work with dogs which routinely jump in on a whim and I doubt they could be trained to pull the yellow handle.

The life jacket we have on our black poodle is grey. But between how high he floats in the water with it on, the shark fin on the life jacket and the amount of splashing when he paddles (due to floating too high in the front for efficient swimming) he's pretty easy to see in the water.

The life jacket for my 9 lb Shih Tzu is on the boat under the shrink wrap, so I can't tell you exactly what it is. Pretty sure it's Outward Hound Granby. But I went through at least five different ones eight years ago, and all of them instantly turned her upside down. :eek: There's a lot of buoyancy in her little chest. The one I settled on is best, but really is only stable if she's swimming. As a result, I rarely put it on her. Probably should try again, but I don't want her to drown because of the life jacket. :mad:

At any rate, one size doesn't fit all, and you won't know until you try one or more.

..How would an inflatable work? Auto wouldn't work with dogs which routinely jump in on a whim and I doubt they could be trained to pull the yellow handle.
And there`s the annual inflatable service check to ensure the condition of the inflation capsule. An Aussie kelpie (or maybe even a border collie) muster dog might have the smarts to do it but most won`t. A non starter I suspect.

We have a bright orange Outward Hound lifejacket for a 12kg Cavoodle.

We have 3 dogs onboard and for the smallest one we have a life vest with a handle so that we can lift her up. She is 25 lbs, still possible to lift her.
The other 2 have a life jacket with a handle, but we are not going to try to lift them. One is 90 lbs and the other is 60 lbs. Only in case of an emergency will we lift them out using the handle.
Very important to us is that the life jacket is not too warm and for that we have straps below their bellies. After all, they have to wear it in the summer and at 100 degrees you don't want the dogs to suffer.

Back
Top Bottom