What app to use now that Blue Chart is dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve91T

Guru
Vessel Name
Abeona
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
We loved it. We used it to plan on where to go and where to stop. We loved all of the reviews of marinas and restaurants.

What are you guys using? My iPhone is my only source of navigation.

Lou,
Garmin is migrating all info in BlueChart to Active Captain. It’s almost as good, but Garmin announced that they’re improving Active Captain, and so far it’s working well. I recently downloaded Navionics, at the suggestion of a friend, and it’s a good program. The only advantage I’ve seen is the Auto-routing, Active Captain still has more reviews and input that is worthwhile. Between the two, it should offer all a coastal cruiser really needs in the way of navigational info.

I’m trying AQUAMAP. $20 for all US charts forever. It does include ActiveCaptain info. It’s not as intuitive at garmin. It’s from Italy I believe.

We loved it. We used it to plan on where to go and where to stop. We loved all of the reviews of marinas and restaurants.

What are you guys using? My iPhone is my only source of navigation.

Four phone/tablet apps that I know of are Plan2Nav (C-Map vector charts), MX Mariner (NOAA raster charts), iSailor (dunno where they get their charts from), and MaxSea TimeZero (NOAA vector and raster charts, or you can pop for C-Map or Navionics vector charts).

Not sure if there's a iThing version of MX Mariner.

TimeZero (iThing only, or laptops) is the most full-featured of those (although I haven't worked with iSailor too much yet to compare).

Plan2Nav, MX Mariner, and TimeZero all incorporate ActiveCaptain markers; iSailor does not.

None of those are sufficiently useful for us on a small phone-sized display.

-Chris

I'm still running Garmin Bluecharts on my Ipad, and I update the Active Captain part of it regularly.

I am afraid to accept a Garmin update for fear it may be a "poison pill" that ends up disabling my Bluechart Ipad program.

+1

I don't upgrade on iPad so I don't lose Blue Chart. Will have to eventually, hope to make the spring move north without an update.

I lost BlueChart because I got a replacement iPad and when I tried to log back in I realized all the information was gone. That’s when I realized what happened.

Any iPad backup? That would restore the app

I think I will just live without the updates, and rely on active captain for any major changes that I should be aware of, rather than take the chance of losing everything.

Curses to Garmin for making me have to make that choice.

I have not downloaded the Active Captain app yet. When it first came out there were some less than positive observations.

Is it ready for prime time?

I’m trying AQUAMAP. $20 for all US charts forever. It does include ActiveCaptain info. It’s not as intuitive at garmin. It’s from Italy I believe.

So I read this post and decided to pay the $19.99 to get the Aqua Map app for my Iphone. I was hoping for:
Easy to read charts.
Easy to post chart notes.
Dynamic current information.
Integrated Active Captain.
To name just a few. BUT what I got was everything above and more.
I Love This Aqua Map app.
Thank you for taking the time to share[emoji106]

I have not downloaded the Active Captain app yet. When it first came out there were some less than positive observations.

Is it ready for prime time?

It's like any other user generated data. Your best bet is to rely on the mean answers and comments, and discard the aberational data.

Off topic on AQUAMAP. The app will timeout and my iPad will turn off. BlueChart did not do this. Is this an app issue or me?

Off topic on AQUAMAP. The app will timeout and my iPad will turn off. BlueChart did not do this. Is this an app issue or me?

Maybe Aqua Map does not keep running active and you may have to set up your ipad to not go to sleep.

Love the information format of Aqua Map
IMG_4526.jpgIMG_4527.jpgIMG_4528.jpgIMG_4529.jpg

Thanks for posting that. I’ll probably be going with that.

I like it a lot. Just my opinion.
But for $19.99 that’s less than lunch.
[emoji106]

I like it a lot. Just my opinion.
But for $19.99 that’s less than lunch.
[emoji106]

Thanks for sharing I am stuck in a hotel in Germany for a few more hours so I think I will add this to my IPAD and learn it a little

Aqua Map has been upgraded to support Active Captain

I have updated the Active Captain data three times in the last month. I have Blue Charts on an iPad. It hasn't blown up......yet.

I finally started messing around with AquaMaps. I really like it. I think I’m going to like it better than BlueChart.

On my ipad, when trying to open ActiveCaptain, I get "The developer of this app needs to update it to work with iOS 11".....not sure what to do, any ideas?

Soggy Dollars - Milford CT

On my ipad, when trying to open ActiveCaptain, I get "The developer of this app needs to update it to work with iOS 11".....not sure what to do, any ideas?

Soggy Dollars - Milford CT

That active captain app was discontinued. Go onto the App Store and search for Garmin Active Captain

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom