What Age Do You Think You Will Hang It Up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
So as not to derail the "Do It Now" thread, but at what age have you, or do you think you will, stop boating?

I know this is dependent on a number of things, health, strength and mental ability to run a boat, partner's ability, grandchildren come along etc..

We had some friends over for dinner last Sunday and he turns eighty this year. He just single handed his Larsen over to the boat yard for new bottom paint, and he still cleans his own bottom.

I have another couple, he is also eighty, they own a 36 downeaster and have just put it up for sale and bought a largish RV.

We discuss this often. Our hope would be to stay with Sonas for at least another fifteen years (would make us both 77), then move to a smaller downeaster like the Sabre for another seven or eight years.

I doubt I'll make it to 70 with this boat. My cruising is mostly solo and I will probably have gotten to the point where the physical effort will be more than I can handle. Wife isn't interested in cruising and I'm not interested in being dependent on others when I want to go play. Maybe a smaller boat from that point forward.

Ted

Wifey B: 127. :D Ok, maybe not that long. I'm thinking 80 or so based on others we have known. :)

I think it's when you find yourself not looking forward to leaving your home on a trip. I also don't know if we'd enjoy it as much if we couldn't take the helm and be comfortable, could we enjoy a paid crew doing everything. I'm not certain we could enjoy just riding on the boat instead of driving it.

I know one of the most difficult things people face is surrendering their driver's license when they should. Many don't until long after they should. It's painful to not be able to get around on your own. Well, I can't imagine surrendering my Captains License either. It may just be psychologically how it makes you face the reality of aging. :ermm:

I hope we can admit when it's just not the same anymore and let our friends go and relax at home until they return. :)

Spreadsheet retirement plan says sell the boat at ages 76/80...and transition to cruise ships having unusual itineraries. That plan was devised ~5 years ago. The current pandemic experience may force us to reconsider that plan, as cruise ships are now looking a bit less attractive...

Last edited:
Probably around 75 for my present boat (36 foot Albin). Then I plan on downsizing a bit to a trailerable boat to explore some inland chains and rivers. Probably a Cuddy Cabin boat.

pete

I'm 68 1/2 and I'm out this season. Tired of chasing problems, climbing in bilges, bottom painting, etc.
BUT we.re changing to RV trailering, so it's not stopping adventures, just changing the scenery a bit.

It won't be based on an age. It will be either health and/or fitness to handle, or the ROI for my time and trouble -------- whatever chronological age that happens.

Hopefully won't be anytime soon!

We sold our dirt home in 1997. Our only homes have been a sail boat for 10 years and Hobo for the last 13 which will be our last big boat. We made it to the Bahamas this year and found I no longer have the fire in my belly. After visiting 47 countries and crossing a few oceans, we’ve had a good run but it is getting time to move on.

I have a close friend who is 78, who is fond of saying "All it takes is one major illness with one of us (he or his wife) to kill the dream". I came to that realization in my early 30's when guy I worked with had been talking about the dreams of what he was going to do when he retired. He worked hard his whole life, raised and lived for his family, saved, did all the 'right things' our movies, TV and media from the 1950's told us was 'living the american dream'. The problem was, he died suddenly at 60 before he retired and had a chance to live his ACTUAL dreams (rather than the one that he thought society expected).

So I bought a boat. I'm trying my best to live my life NOW. I will continue living MY dream until I either have another dream, or I can't physically do this anymore. My knees, hips, and hands will tell me when that is. My wife will tell me if/when my mind can't handle it anymore.

How many times have you known people at the marina who've said something to the effect of "They don't go out because she's lost confidence in him taking the boat out", in reference to the old salt with thousands of miles passed under his keel, who's now bouncing off of the pilings and hitting the dock?

I know the scope was contrary to "Go Now" but honestly, that is because we don't know when Too Old, Too Feeble, or Too Sick, or Too Poor will be.

If I had to answer succinctly "When I can't or don't want too anymore".

We recently showed our retirement plan to a financial advisor, who has submitted his ideas to fine tune a few things.

Looks like there will be a point, about 5 years after retiring, where selling the boat and not having to pay moorage and insurance anymore makes sense. By then we'll have explored just about every nook & cranny of BC's north and central coasts. We have a couple favourite spots already, and will have discovered a few more by then.

Our plan after selling Badger will be to explore via backroads and hiking trails, but we'll also hire boats once in a while to drop us off at our favourite places along the coast, to camp for a couple weeks or more at a time. We still have our double kayak, so we'll be able to putter around the camp area, as opposed to going on fully fledged sea kayaking adventures.

This past weekend I met what I hope will be my retired self...my daughter and I were on a day hike into the Seven Sisters Range on the Skeena River, and we met a couple in their mid seventies. They looked like they could both pinch 1/2" on their bellies and were striding through the mountainside forest like it was nothing.

Owning a boat won't be necessary, and hiring one once in a while will be much cheaper!

Age hang ups.

In some sense it is not really for us to say. Depends largely on individual health and retirement income. During my working years we spent a few winters on jackstands alongside a beautiful steel sailboat the owner was building. I had a Mainship 400 then, but we occasionally found boating things to talk about. One day another boater asked me if I'd heard the sailboat builder/owner had suddenly passed away (probably early 60's in age). That beautiful and unique boat never got to sail for the man whose dream it was to enjoy it. On the other hand, we have a boating club friend well into his 80's who still single hands his sailboat. Don't give up the dream and keep doing it if you can, but seeking guarantees of future success could possibly just be wasted time and effort.

I have a close friend who is 78, who is fond of saying "All it takes is one major illness with one of us (he or his wife) to kill the dream".
Very timely thread for me as my wife has been very ill for over a year and since she was my chief crewman I have had little use of the boat during that time. Coupled with crawling around in the ER with bad knees and back, I'm slowly dealing with the realization of selling my boat and vacation home and retiring to my rocking chair. (Just kidding about the chair.) It's nothing to do with money as we have been blessed with good investments that will certainly outlive us both. The main reasons are 2...my wife's health and me staring down the barrels of turning 80 in less than a year. What a bummer...life is way too short!

Last edited:
Very timely thread for me as my wife has been very ill for over a year and since she was my chief crewman I have had little use of the boat during that time. Coupled with crawling around in the ER with bad knees and back, I'm slowly dealing with the realization of selling my boat and vacation home and retiring to my rocking chair. (Just kidding about the chair.) It's nothing to do with money as we have been blessed with good investments that will certainly outlive us both. The main reasons are 2...my wife's health and me staring down the barrels of turning 8 in less than a year. What a bummer...life is way too short!

Wifey B: If either or us was unable to enjoy boating, then that would be the end of it for both of us. Means if hubby's time is when he turns 80, mine is likely when I'm 71. :ermm:

My wife and I are just starting early retirement but the thoughts expressed in this thread are very much in our mind. Have been lucky to enjoy boating for 35 years to date. Three factors will likely control our boating future.

1. Health
2. Enjoyment

3. Money

I placed money last because since starting early retirement/Covid-19 our investments are still replenishing/growing, savings remain untouched/growing and we pay our bills, boat & house improvements with only 30% of our income. For now the money side is not stressful.

Leonard

So much depends on general physical condition and health, which has at least some tie-in with the DNA you were dealt at birth. Every year in Alaska I see husbands and wives pushing 80. I'm 72 and that's my goal. I even quit snow skiing which I saw it as a risk to our boating longevity. A bad knee, hip or shoulder injury at this age would wreck our boating horizons.

Quit boating??!!

Whenever we're damn good n' ready! LOL

Considering health conditions continue to keep us up and running!

Happy/Healthy Boating Daze! - Art and Linda :dance: :speed boat:

Wifey B: If either or us was unable to enjoy boating, then that would be the end of it for both of us. Means if hubby's time is when he turns 80, mine is likely when I'm 71. :ermm:
How old is your husband at present?

My wife and I consider this issue all the time.

For us health would be the determining factor. We are still relatively young - 70 next year and in good physical shape. Boating is a lifestyle for us and since most of our friends are rabid boaters, boating is a social outlet. We hope to boat another 15 years, maybe to just Yacht Club cruises in later years.

We have several friends that are boating in their 80's. One couple, who has been going north of Vancouver Island every year just put their 40' trawler for sale. Another couple living on their 56' trawler has had the boat for sale several years. They decided to stop cruising after the husband had to be airlifted from his boat in the Broughtons.

Another couple with a 52' boat are cruising to the Broughtons every year. Wife is 10 years younger than husband and is fully capable of doing everything on the boat. Another couple with a 46 sundeck stopped cruising north but come to every Yacht Club cruise. There is plenty of help on the dock for them at YC cruises.

We've been big boat boating for 35 years and I've been boating for 55 years and my wife 40 years. We still boat 2 to 3 months in the summer but don't go as far as we used to. Not because of health but just tired of the long runs. We've been staying south of Nanimo the last few years and converted our boat from expedition cruiser to a one bedroom condo with a water view.

I retired from all businesses requiring a skippers ticket and gave up my CG Captains license a few years ago.

We hope nothing major happens to us that prevents us from boating into our 80's. And buying a smaller boat after owning a 40' heavy trawler is not something we would consider. I've seen friends move from 40 something boats and downsize to 26 foot out drive boats. After years of handling a heavy boat, these boaters had difficulty manuerveying a light out drive boat without a keel. After pinballing around marinas, these boaters either moved back to a bigger boat or gave up boating.

Keeping weight off and staying limber and flexible are key points. Most guys quit boating when they either get too big or too stiff to crawl around engine rooms and other tight areas. Or up and down stairs and ladders.

The gentleman we bought Sandpier from was 86. He was in physically good condition. He was able to dock the boat perfectly and climbed down the side of the portugese bridge without a ladder. He performed all the maintenance.

He had dementia. He must have known earlier that dementia was in his future. He had a book with picture and illustrations of everything on the boat with descriptions on what they were and how used. He was fine at remembering things at different times but frequently would not know anything.

As an example, he had a picture of the steering wheel. Under the picture it said "Steering wheel, turn right to turn boat to the right - turn wheel left to turn the boat left".

Only reason he was selling the boat was because his wife was confined to home because of poor health. His family forced the sale.

About a year after buying Sandpiper, the previous owner called and wanted the boat back since his wife died and he was ready to go boating again! He was close to 90 by then.

Last edited:
I'm 84, do all my own boat work, and run a Predicted Log contest every month, with the Sicilian at the wheel as I never could steer a straight course.

How old is your husband at present?

Com’on Walt,
She’s apparently 9 yrs younger (same w Chris and I) but we’ll just have-to wait till hubby packs it in. Then we’ll know her age. She’s clever. She knows how to bait us (just you and I Walt) but she’s probably still doing 140mph in her Porshe so we’ve got some time for guessing.

Last edited:
Well I’m 80 and squeak’in past Walt.
I have balance problems, fading strength and lot’s of arthritis. When I’m working around the house (mostly on a boat trailer project) l’m fine until I run out of energy. Like to take naps ... like an old guy. Can’t even sit at the helm for 8 hrs but Chris has no energy problems.

But w the world the way it is I want to be able to pack up and go somewhere safe. But the’re may be no safe place soon. Perhaps I should nix the news.

Com’on Walt,
She’s apparently 9 yrs younger (same w Chris and I) but we’ll just have-to wait till hubby packs it in. Then we’ll know her age. She’s clever. She knows how to bait us (just you and I Walt) but she’s probably still doing 140mph in her Porshe so we’ve got some time for guessing.
That's really funny! True but funny! :rofl::rofl::rofl: My guess is that she's a real lady so I'll bet we never know!

That's really funny! True but funny! :rofl::rofl::rofl: My guess is that she's a real lady so I'll bet we never know!

"My guess is that she's a real lady"

Having read her posts for a couple years... I'll put money on that!

Same time as when I give up driving a car: when I realize I can no longer do it safely.

When they take my cold dead hands from the starter button.

Same time as when I give up driving a car: when I realize I can no longer do it safely.

I don't think so.
We may have differen’t age problems but at this point I think my driving doom day is way further down the channel/road than boat doom day.

My long term solution will be to buy a newer boat. I'd love a walk in ER to make maintenance tasks easier, maybe something full displacement as I'll already be at the destination while on the boat. It's a bit early for me to say but I'll make changes to the boat to accommodate me and the wife. Probably all on one level like a sedan except for the stairs to get into bed and something easy to climb to use the flybridge.

Wifey B: You dudes are funny. I can't help loving this place. :D

I just turned 41 this month and feel 21, just feel the same I always have. Hubby is 49 and will turn 50 in October and he's in excellent condition like a 30 year old and I regularly check out his physical condition. He always scores well. :rofl:

DNA gets mentioned, but neither of us knows a thing about what to expect based on our parents. Mine were in horrible condition based on lifestyle but killed in an auto accident. Hubby's died young but mother had smoking related issues and father had smoking three packs a day plus alcoholic and died of a heart attack.

We are very active and do try to take care of ourselves. Five days a week during the pandemic, we've worked out at home since we can't play tennis or basketball or get exercise our normal ways. He does treadmill and very limited weights, more for flexibility and agility than muscles. I do treadmill but I do more weight machines with emphasis on upper body, especially chest area.

We seldom drink, we don't smoke, we don't use drugs. Yet none of this insures anything. We can get hit by a serious disease or injured in an accident any day. That's why we retired early, although this year we've been mostly unretired. We try to live each day to it's fullest. We are surrounded by an extended family we love so much. :D

We're so very thankful for all we have in life, especially those people special to us and each other. I think one goal we all should have in life is to live it each day in such a way that if tomorrow isn't available you can still say it was a good life. I could do that. I want many more years, but I don't need them to say I had a good life.

We need to learn and teach our kids the importance of happiness. If one's life is focused only on preparing to enjoy future years that may never come, that seems sad to me. I know how many struggle day to day just to survive. But the goal should be to enjoy each day as much as possible. Do what makes you happy. I know I loved every day of teaching and just seeing my hubby in business, he enjoyed all his days of business. Then we had each other. We dreamed of the future and retirement but while we were both working our lives were always good. We didn't have an expensive house, we kept cars and boats 7 years. We didn't spend money wildly, but we had a boat we used every possible day of the year. Our lives were simpler and happier than so many around us.

It's humorous to think about the fact that we both loved our jobs and little chance we'd ever lose them, yet we always kept ourselves in a position that if we did, we'd be fine. We could have lived fine on two minimum wage jobs. I saw two many people in jobs they hated but couldn't or wouldn't leave because they'd bought that expensive dream home plus they had to provide everything possible for their kids including expensive private schools. It made me appreciate our simpler life and wish they could break free from the stress of their lives.

We have money but never did we pursue it. We just did what made us happy along the way. So many quote the Bible and say "Money is the root of all evil." That's not what it says. It says, "The Love of money is the root of all evil." Greed, placing money over all else. He regularly got approached about jobs paying many times what he made but we always said "no," and we followed the misery suffered by the person who did take it. I taught school, definitely not the pursuit of money.

I think back to all our summer evening cruises on the lake. I'd tell him cute child stories from the day, proud and happy moments, and he's share funny things from the office or happy moments for employees. We seldom discussed the idiot administrators in the school district or the difficult business moments as they were a minor part of life.

We can't get a guarantee of a long, happy, healthy life but we sure can make sure we have a happy life. Oh, we're troubled by a lot of things going on today, but we have each other and our extended families and life is good. Taking care of ourselves physically is a part of getting as many good days as we can. We don't really have bad days because we just refuse to give in to them. Happy lives for all TF'ers please. :D

I don't think so.
We may have differen’t age problems but at this point I think my driving doom day is way further down the channel/road than boat doom day.

Wifey B: Your boat days are shorter just from having to deal with your 1000 anchors. :rofl:

I agree, I think boating doom day will come sooner than auto. Sad thing is it's the one I'll hate more. And I don't drive my Porsche 140 mph, contrary to someone's statement above. I only slightly exceed the speed limit. I know, silly to have a car capable of 190 mph and drive less than half that, but I'm a silly girl. :angel:

You know talking age and hearing how old many of you are, but I think you're defying the calendar age as most of you seem far younger than you are. Maybe it's boating that does it. :speed boat:

Back
Top Bottom