What Age Do You Think You Will Hang It Up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few years ago we ran across some cruising friends while enjoying the Dent Island Resort in BC. They have a 68 footer and had 2 other couples with them. These high school classmates were enjoying dinner and drinks while talking up the silliness of their pranks back in the 40s. Yes, they were all around 90.

Thanks for posting that. Maybe 90 is a better goal than 80!:thumb:

I'm 84 and plan on boating as long as I still am able. We went from long distance cruising sailboats, which we had to "leave" at about age than 62 because of back and heart problems. Then trawlers for about 5 years. The last 17 years have been C Dory trailerable boats. Small enough to be owner maintained even with restrictions of health, large enough to spend a month or more on. (OK we have chest freezer, refrigerator, LiFePO4 batteries, generator, AC etc...but still very do-able. I have a friend who will turn 90 in Dec. He has gone about the same route. Still has a C Dory.

Health: two issues. What you can do. What you can adapt to do.

proximity (or distance) from health care when emergency arises.

Health is a limit, but many issues are solvable.

We're 71 and 68. One with a 40 yr old health likeness... one with, well, a commensurate to actual age health likeness. So... it is currently impossible for us to put a date/age projection on our supposed end to boating.

Both of us would never quit boating - till death - if at all possible.

Here's a little story: September 2008 we became the 2nd owners of our then recently fully refreshed 1977 Tollycraft. Orig owner was an Englishman. Only reason he sold the boat was because in his mid 90's he could no longer get on and off without considerable assistance.

That means, if we are lucky... we too will reach that age while still being able to play with our fun to use Tolly. By that time our Tolly boat will be 63 + yrs old. Due to Tollycraft's excellent build-out "bones", and our continued care, hopefully some "classic-boat" nut will then refresh her again and motor on!

Damn C-19 pandemic ruined our plans to have this spring hauled our boat and do many refreshments to it. Oh well - maybe next year! We plan to spend next week out and about on her... that is, after the 4th O' July crowd dissipates.

Happy Boat-Use Daze! - Art :speed boat: :popcorn: :whistling: :thumb:

Interesting question, and everything certainly depends upon health. I'm 79 and still doing fine, just with some limitations from arthritis and lowered strength that make crawling in the bilge and carrying batteries inconvenient. My small size is probably a plus (5'9" tall and 150 pounds). My wife has some physical limitations and she's younger than I.

Boat size may be an issue for many of us. I've always preferred to have the smallest boat I can be comfortable on and that has worked well.

I've been sailing since 1954 and had to sell my 33-foot cruising sailboat four years ago due to a neck/back injury in a fall. Truthfully, sailing it shorthanded was getting a bit iffy, anyway.

I bought the Grand Banks 32 as a Terminal Trawler in 2017 and anticipate several more years of cruising her along The Atlantic Coast. We had planned to go up the Hudson to Lake Ontario this summer but COVID-19 squashed that. We'll cruise the Chesapeake this year and see what presents itself for the future. Maybe south on the ICW again.

One year at a time. Life is unpredictable.

I am hanging it up TODAY. I am 83 and had intended 2 years ago to continue for the foreseeable future. I sold my sailboat and acquired a '78 MKI Mainship.
But almost immediately my wife began showing a fear of the water after 50+ years sailing and didnt want to get on the boat. This was an advanced stage of dementia that had not been diagnosed. So I was considering selling the boat but clung to it thinking she would change. I was still not aware of her dementia. She was aware because she had secretly been to the Dr and didnt want to tell me. In March, she died after a 65 years of togetherness. It was not till two weeks before she died that I got the diagnoses of her dementia. I wish I had known 20 years ago when it actually started, but it is so gradual that partners are rarely aware of it. Early awareness would have allowed me to be more understanding and would have saved me from buying a boat that I will never use now because of the memories. Those memories of our boating will keep me off the water from now on. I cry now when I just think of boating. I cannot even cruise on a liner as we used to do.

There is something to be learned from this. You and your spouse should get tested for dementia about 50 years of age to establish a base line, then every 5 years after so you can spot it early. Its not curable, but you can make your partners later days more comfortable if you know ahead of time that they are becoming a child again and need the consideration and tolerance that a child would need.

We sold our dirt home in 1997. Our only homes have been a sail boat for 10 years and Hobo for the last 13 which will be our last big boat. We made it to the Bahamas this year and found I no longer have the fire in my belly. After visiting 47 countries and crossing a few oceans, we’ve had a good run but it is getting time to move on.

Someone is going to get a great boat when you leave Hobo:thumb:

I am hanging it up TODAY. I am 83 and had intended 2 years ago to continue for the foreseeable future. I sold my sailboat and acquired a '78 MKI Mainship.
But almost immediately my wife began showing a fear of the water after 50+ years sailing and didn't want to get on the boat. This was an advanced stage of dementia that had not been diagnosed. So I was considering selling the boat but clung to it thinking she would change. I was still not aware of her dementia. She was aware because she had secretly been to the Dr and didn't want to tell me. In March, she died after a 65 years of togetherness. It was not till two weeks before she died that I got the diagnoses of her dementia. I wish I had known 20 years ago when it actually started, but it is so gradual that partners are rarely aware of it. Early awareness would have allowed me to be more understanding and would have saved me from buying a boat that I will never use now because of the memories. Those memories of our boating will keep me off the water from now on. I cry now when I just think of boating. I cannot even cruise on a liner as we used to do.

There is something to be learned from this. You and your spouse should get tested for dementia about 50 years of age to establish a base line, then every 5 years after so you can spot it early. Its not curable, but you can make your partners later days more comfortable if you know ahead of time that they are becoming a child again and need the consideration and tolerance that a child would need.

You have my condolence. I truly hope your spirits can pick back up. Imagine your wife would concur. Best luck as years progress.

My MIL was 94 at the time and we figured she'd have another 3-5 years before she was gone.

So here we are, 10 years later and she's still doing well. She's in a long term care facility but still healthy. She's losing some of her cognitive ability but heck, she could go on for another 3-5 years. Who knows?

We wouldn't take that trip while she's still alive because sure as hell we'd be somewhere where there was no cell signal and something would happen to her and we wouldn't find out for a week or two. Tina and her mom are VERY close and she would never forgive herself for not being there.

Wifey B: While Math isn't my strong subject, can you confirm this for a moment. Your MIL is now 104 and you figure another 3-5 years? :eek:

I'm 78, been boating since I was 16. Started serious cruising with the Great Loop 10 years ago and have done the ICW 9 times, Bahamas once, Canada twice and live on Cape Cod so get plenty of local cruising. I intend to cruise into my 80's. What I find is, active cruising keeps you young.

But almost immediately my wife began showing a fear of the water after 50+ years sailing and didnt want to get on the boat. This was an advanced stage of dementia that had not been diagnosed. So I was considering selling the boat but clung to it thinking she would change. I was still not aware of her dementia. She was aware because she had secretly been to the Dr and didnt want to tell me. In March, she died after a 65 years of togetherness. It was not till two weeks before she died that I got the diagnoses of her dementia. I wish I had known 20 years ago when it actually started, but it is so gradual that partners are rarely aware of it. Early awareness would have allowed me to be more understanding and would have saved me from buying a boat that I will never use now because of the memories. Those memories of our boating will keep me off the water from now on. I cry now when I just think of boating. I cannot even cruise on a liner as we used to do.

Wifey B: I want to cry with you. :cry:

However, I really do urge you to get counseling. Sadness and grief are normal but often need it. However, the guilt you're carrying is so painful. You couldn't do what you didn't know needed to be done. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself because of what you didn't know. It's horrible she didn't share the knowledge with you. Sad her doctor didn't if you'd been listed as someone who could receive medical information. However, let's live in today. Today the woman you loved deeply is gone. Truth be told, that woman has been gone for a good while and the one you held near the end wasn't her. Dementia in all forms is horrible. I know my husband and I both fear it terribly. However, you did what was most important, you loved her and today you need help so you can move forward with your life. You can't deprive yourself of pleasure (I'm not saying you need to boat) or of life because of what you failed to do or because she can't share it with you. Please, I beg you. Sell the boat and anything you need to, but see someone who can help you through this. I know if I lost my husband I'd need help and if he lost me he would. I'd be so sad though wherever one goes after to see him carrying such pain and suffering as you. :(

Age to hang it up

We are both just 78. My wife loves to dock the boat and maneuver.
We have just renewing each winter our boat during last 2 years.
We do not expect stop or sell the boat. We enjoy a lot. 3 years ago we decide to sell the boat and rent one summer. It was a disaster the boat rented was expensive and nothing adapt to us. The we decide to do the oposite. Renew it and enjoy. "life will decide when to leave it"

"However, the guilt you're carrying is so painful. You couldn't do what you didn't know needed to be done. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself because of what you didn't know."

I am sad, terribly sad, but no guilt. I know it wasnt my fault. But I want to warn others that some comfort can be given those that have dementia, but it does require knowledge. 65 years is a LONG time.

No I dont regret a day of that 65 years and would do it again in an instant, even knowing how it will end. I am so happy that she went first because she was a weaker spirit than I, a tender flower that I protected constantly, and the horror of it all would have been beyond devastating to her if I had died first. She would have been unable to cope. I am coping and it will get better. But so far its only been 4 months and it took 65 years to get here. The journey back will not be short, nor should it be.

I know she is not replaceable but I desperately want her to be.

She is back in heaven where she came from and one day, in the far future, I will join her.

So as not to derail the "Do It Now" thread, but at what age have you, or do you think you will, stop boating?

I know this is dependent on a number of things, health, strength and mental ability to run a boat, partner's ability, grandchildren come along etc..

We had some friends over for dinner last Sunday and he turns eighty this year. He just single handed his Larsen over to the boat yard for new bottom paint, and he still cleans his own bottom.

I have another couple, he is also eighty, they own a 36 downeaster and have just put it up for sale and bought a largish RV.

We discuss this often. Our hope would be to stay with Sonas for at least another fifteen years (would make us both 77), then move to a smaller downeaster like the Sabre for another seven or eight years.
Need some solid advice. Both in mid 70’s, fit agile and have a slip waiting for boat. Considering really hard about buying a trawler. What is a manageable size boat at this age, my husband (both widowed) and still kinda newly weds grew up with bass river boats, my last boat as 42 ‘ cruiser. Don’t want to undersized and be uncomfortable, but want to much to handle and maintain. 32 to 36 ft make sense. Thank you for any input.

Why do you ask? I'm 76 and there is nothing wrong with me, wrong with me...wrong with...wrong...me......

Greetings,

Mr. j. She is and will always be in your heart. She will speak to you and you will answer and you to her.

Greetings,

Mr. j. She is and will always be in your heart. She will speak to you and you will answer and you to her.

I am planning my "Ghost Rider" tour for Aug on the east coast, but only if the covid breaks. I will be gone a month...maybe.... Then when I get back, another tour on the west coast. Probably Most of September. Its going to take a lot of healing as I am going down hill fast the last two days. Taking her 2008 Sky Roadster two pairs of underwear and some socks. Not room for anything else in that car...LOL. Got a back pack packed in the right seat.
My apologies to the person that started this thread for hijacking it, but you did ask.

Last edited:
Hate to admit it. Sold my boat last year after boating every year in the San Juan's and Canadian Gulf Islands since 1974. I'm 85 and My First Mate is 72

I plan on living forever, even though I know I got no shot at that goal. This year, several of my my my boating buddies sold their boats. Earlier in this thread I read that Jay Leonard is ready to go land based as well. Jay has been a kind of mentor or mine since I bought my MS 34 almost 20 years ago, and I sought his advice when I bought my MS 350. Point is that ithing lasts forever, and the better it is, the shorter it seems. Boating is one of the better parts of my life and I hope to find a way to keep going for a long time; as long as I can, really.

When I kept my boat at the Sub Base in Groton CT, there was a retired Army Dr in his late 80's who kept a small cuddy cabin Rosborough with a little 50 hp diesel. He and his two Yorkshire Terriers would take the bout out once or twice a week. He told me "No one is interested in boating with me anymore. My family agreed to let me get this boat. I can go out for two hours at a time. If I'm not back in 2 hours, how far can I be at 6.5 knots?" If that's where I end up at 90, I'll consider it a lifetime achievement.

Cruise until the body says no.

Both my wife and I are 84 this year and continue to cruise the Great Lakes. We are planning another extensive cruise to Lake Michigan this year (our favorite places in Canada are off-limits) and will continue to do our cruising as long as the bodies permit. If either of us can't do it, we'll part with the boat. Part of the key is the size of the boat allows us to handle it easily. I continue to do all maintenance in spite of bruising very easily when in tight spaces. We're hoping for several more years, but, of course, it all depends.

Here's something I came across lately.
Doe's it help? I don"t know.
It"s been just over 3 years for me now.

Attachments

• Walk Within Me.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 46
I just turned 75 this year. I have been on boats since age 10. My father was a single parent commercial fishermen. I intend to stay with it until 85. Winter in Anacortes, summer in Sitka.

Both my wife and I are 84 this year and continue to cruise the Great Lakes. We are planning another extensive cruise to Lake Michigan this year (our favorite places in Canada are off-limits) and will continue to do our cruising as long as the bodies permit. If either of us can't do it, we'll part with the boat. Part of the key is the size of the boat allows us to handle it easily. I continue to do all maintenance in spite of bruising very easily when in tight spaces. We're hoping for several more years, but, of course, it all depends.

L E T - You accurately pinned the tail on the donkey... errr boat!

"Part of the key is the size of the boat allows us to handle it easily."

Boating and RVing have two items in common: 1. When young, large size provides easily useable comforts. 2. When older, modest size provides still easily usable comforts.

I have boated all of my life starting out on my various Uncles commercial fishing boats at age eight, my own ones for 28 years, and now pleasure boating. Turned 74 this year while soloing my boat up coast.

I was wondering if my boating would end when I lost my wife to cancer a couple of years back? Would it still be enjoyable? We both loved cruising the coast. But after some very serious grieving and thoughts I continued on. Met a wonderful lady that I am now engaged to. She never boated before but has fallen in love with our trips on the BC coast.

We just got back from a month up coast. We will spent a few days home taking care of some business then back up coast for another month or so, then RVing to Alberta and northern BC to visit friends and family. Getting back in time to enjoy September on the ocean.

I commercial fished with a couple of guys that were in their 80's but I found it no longer fun for me at 70 so retired from the fishing. The cruising has been a blast exploring the inlets and anchorages I never had time to investigate while working.

I will give up boating when my health tells me to or when it is no longer fun. I suspect that may be in my mid 80's or there about?

The answer to the question is........

s-l500.jpg

We are me 84 my wife 83 we think this may be our last year. boat out for the usual paint bottom all anodes ,we let the boat yard do it all.

We restarted boating in our 70’s and 80’s respectively. One of us joined the Coast Guard Auxiliary and took lots of classes. We use help when we need it, but we got a 29’ Ranger Tug which comes with higher rails, bow and stern thrusters, stand up head, iinside-type stairs to the command bridge, lots of hand holds and only a few steps from the galley level to the main cabin. We love it! It is a lot more senior-friendly than than our older Sea Ray Sundancer. We are both females and will do boating for as long as our health allows. One of us is happily retired, and the other is happily still working. We are having a blast on the water and the boating community has been terrific!

So as not to derail the "Do It Now" thread, but at what age have you, or do you think you will, stop boating?

I know this is dependent on a number of things, health, strength and mental ability to run a boat, partner's ability, grandchildren come along etc..

We had some friends over for dinner last Sunday and he turns eighty this year. He just single handed his Larsen over to the boat yard for new bottom paint, and he still cleans his own bottom.

I have another couple, he is also eighty, they own a 36 downeaster and have just put it up for sale and bought a largish RV.

We discuss this often. Our hope would be to stay with Sonas for at least another fifteen years (would make us both 77), then move to a smaller downeaster like the Sabre for another seven or eight years.

Cleaning your own bottom can become an issue when you get old. Glad your friend is still able to clean his.

Back
Top Bottom