What Age Do You Think You Will Hang It Up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: You dudes are funny. I can't help loving this place. :D

I just turned 41 this month and feel 21, just feel the same I always have. Hubby is 49 and will turn 50 in October and he's in excellent condition like a 30 year old and I regularly check out his physical condition. He always scores well.
Well, Eric, if your still listening, she's not only a "lady', but a smart one as well! I married for the second time when my wife was 45 and I was 51, 28 years ago.

I'm not one bit surprised at BandB admitting her age but you have to admit, we got more than either of us thought!:dance:

Its tough to say how long one can continue to do it safely. (I'm talking about boating) I'm in my mid sixties now and there are no issues so far. The body is holding up well. I'm probably more concerned about dementia as it runs in the family. If a failing memory starts putting others at risk its time to give it up, or do a solo one way trip.
I can't agree with others about progressing to a motor home or cruise ship. To me, being on a cruise ship has no similarity to boating. Perhaps occasional chartering, as Murrray suggested, would be a good option.

I am 71 and put my last "cruising" boat up for sale last month. Thank God, I am in good health and want to stay that way. Good diet, 3 workouts at an exercise facility a week, and my new Hobie fishing kayak will, hopefully, keep me in good health.

Luckily, I love my profession and want to keep doing it until my brain gives out! That more than the boating is why I want to try to stay in good shape.

We shall see! :):):)

Whenever it’s no longer is fun

Last edited:
We'll I'm 38 and Im done.....til next year! I was planning to move up to the 50 foot range this summer but this Covid thing is making me rethink that.

We'll I'm 38 and Im done.....til next year! I was planning to move up to the 50 foot range this summer but this Covid thing is making me rethink that.

Damn I thought I was the youngest on here. You got me by a year!

I was seriously worried for a while, still am I guess, but not nearly like a couple months ago. We talked about it and if things go really south we’d put the boat on the hard and save the slip fees since that’s our biggest money suck by far. If it got really ugly we’d sell her.

I think things will be ok though.

I don't think so.
We may have differen’t age problems but at this point I think my driving doom day is way further down the channel/road than boat doom day.

I think a lot of people keep driving cars, way after it is safe to do so, because they feel they really need to drive, and don't like the idea of being unable to go places on their own.

Boats are for fun, so it's easier to admit it.

Damn I thought I was the youngest on here. You got me by a year!

I was seriously worried for a while, still am I guess, but not nearly like a couple months ago. We talked about it and if things go really south we’d put the boat on the hard and save the slip fees since that’s our biggest money suck by far. If it got really ugly we’d sell her.

I think things will be ok though.

Lol, we're the youngsters! I guess....I sold my boat last month and don't wanna rush the next purchase.

It won't be based on an age. It will be either health and/or fitness to handle, or the ROI for my time and trouble -------- whatever chronological age that happens.

Hopefully won't be anytime soon!

I'm the same. I have no specific plan long term.

Even my short term plans seem to get derailed by outside events. I had planed to continue running, but my knees had other ideas. I had planned to do some longer cruises the last two years but the family had other ideas. I had planned to be gradually working less by now, but the business had other needs. I had planned on two weeks cruising in BC next month, but COVID intervened.

So, we will see....

Re keeping on driving when you shouldn't. Hopefully the rise of ride sharing apps like Uber and Lft will reduce the number of people who feel that have to do that.

Especially us who "grew up" with ride sharing and it will not be new to us as we enter older age.

From what I observe, boaters tend to slow down after 80. Yes, there are a few fortunate ones who sail on into their 90's, but they seem to be the exception. So realistically I should mentally prepare to give up the boat somewhere between 80 and 85.

Previous owner was late eighties and couldn't lift the floor hatches to service the engine so maintenance wasn't done. I'm guessing that will be my signal to quit.

Next month.

With the help of 3 friends/crew we are taking the boat around the coast to Seattle to list it with a broker. We leave here on 7/7 and, weather permitting, we should be able to make it to Seattle in less than 10 days.

Our next venture will be an RV and we'll do the tour of the national parks, the East Coast and visiting friends and relatives all over this beautiful USA.

I had a couple that are close friends drop anchor here today and was reminded how old he is when I introduced them to another friend And commented that He had turned 70 over 100 miles North of the Aleutians on a non stop sail from japan to Alaska. That was in 2011. They still sail and race and typically head North for most of the summer. I hope to be able to keep up the same routine at that age.
I would rather expire at 80 boating that waste away for 10 years wishing I was still boating to die at 90.
I have never understood people who are still able to do a sport or hobby that stop because they think they are too old. It just sounds like giving up.

Hollywood

I would rather expire at 80 boating that waste away for 10 years wishing I was still boating to die at 90.
I have never understood people who are still able to do a sport or hobby that stop because they think they are too old. It just sounds like giving up.

Hollywood

I agree 200%

I have friends give up boating because they are too old to boat and take up RV'ing.

Let see, give up our 8 knot boat so I can hurtle down the freeway at 65 MPH.

If I have a heart attack while driving the boat, my wife takes the helm, calls 911 or CG checks my condition and changes course towards nearest port. Aid meets boat near port and take over.

If I have a heart attack while driving RV, I either cross the center lane and cause a head on, hit a parked vehicle or stationary object, and if stars and planets align, run off the road and coast to a stop.

In the boat, my wife will survive, in the RV maybe?

Last edited:

Well, I for one came to boating via sea kayaking and only gave up kayaking because of a car accident injury to my wife.

We'll sell our boat after exploring the heck out of BC's north and central coasts in the first 3 to 5 years of retirement. After that we're going to land based exploration. This is a financially based decision as we chose a simple, happy, humble life, so not even close to being rich and can't keep the boat forever.

If we want to go back to some favourite spots, we'll hire a fast boat to get us there and drop us off. We still have all our paddling expedition camping gear, so could easily stay for a couple months completely cut off from the world. We once paddled 2 months in winter on BC's north coast, so anything after that is easy-peasy.

Same coast, different style.

When we sell the boat, it'll be far from giving up :D

My wife and I celebrated our joint 140th birthday party two years ago.

I'm 72, and we can't see a time I'll stop boating unless a lack of funds makes the decision for us.

Nothing like a cruise to France on a flat calm hot sunny day, with a cold 1664 beer in mind, accompanied by moules frites.

Last edited:
The reality for many of us is that by our mid 70’s our health and balance start to decline.

Looking forward few of us if we live that long are comfortable much into our 80’s.

That’s just the realities of life unfortunately.

I’m 58 so my plan is another 17 seasons or so.

Thats why if you want to do major cruising you need to make the decisions and yes the financial sacrifice and make it happen, because the calendar will not wait.

The reality for many of us is that by our mid 70’s our health and balance start to decline.

Looking forward few of us if we live that long are comfortable much into our 80’s.

That’s just the realities of life unfortunately.

You know, we'd heard someone else say that, but on balance, we decided we'd have nothing to do with it....

Next month.

With the help of 3 friends/crew we are taking the boat around the coast to Seattle to list it with a broker. We leave here on 7/7 and, weather permitting, we should be able to make it to Seattle in less than 10 days.

Our next venture will be an RV and we'll do the tour of the national parks, the East Coast and visiting friends and relatives all over this beautiful USA.

Sorry to hear. Will you still be hanging out here?

We are both 64 and I’m still working . We live 20 minutes from the boat in a quiet little sleepy town. It’s getting tougher just keeping up with the big stuff that breaks on the boat. We still love getting out on the weekends for 3 or 4 hour cruise.
I’ve never really felt like we’ve gotten the full experience of boating like I’ve always dreamed of. There could be one more boat in the future that has more living space. But I need to retire before that happens. Who knows what’s around the corner .

Last edited:
I hope to follow in the footsteps of my Grandfather and my Dad, Grandad and Grandma lived at home, mowed the lawns, lived totally independently until he was 92, He said Grandma was tired of cooking and he was tired of mowing and they moved to assisted living. He drove until 94, She passed and he made it a year and passed at 95.

Dad is 89, maintains two homes (recently sold 3rd home in Hawaii as his wife wasn't up to the flights back and forth anymore). Drives 150 miles each way between the homes a couple times a month. They live totally independent lives with the exception of a gardener. I hope he can stay at home as long as possible although his health isn't quite as good as Grandad's.

I still do all the crazy crap I have always done except barefoot waterski, After I broke a couple vertebra snowboarding the Admiral pulled the plug on barefooting.. my body has paid a heavy price for that sport so giving that up on a consistent basis is a good idea. If I am going to kiteboard, surf, scuba, fly, ride dirt and sportbikes, wakeboard, snowboard, I need to drop it down a bit to be able to still do all of it. Every now and then I still barefoot a short run when conditions are perfect.. just so I know I still can.
I look at life and what we do kind of like a car as it ages, it takes more maintenance to keep us going, and we shouldn't push it to the limit or we pay the price to fix what breaks.
On the other hand, a car that is never driven soon falls into a state of failure too, things seize up.. seals dry up and it dies a slow death.
Keep going, do what you can do.. you will be happier in the long run
HOLLYWOOD

I guess 'boating' means different things to different people.

For us it's just a means to get to an otherwise inaccessible wilderness area to go hiking and photographing. For other people it has a different meaning altogether.

We see lots of people for whom boating means spending time aboard their boats. Nothing wrong with that, especially if they have otherwise stressful or busy lives, but once our anchor touches bottom we're gathering gear to go ashore.

We don't 'need' a boat, but it sure opened up some amazing territory and was fundamental to our daughter having a deep appreciation for where she lives.

Everyone here speaks of age as the final impediment. (Duh. Because that is the title of the thread.) For me, my guess is financial reasons will boot me out of our current style of boating before ability or desire. Boats and boating will likely be reserved for the wealthy, at least in North America.

No worries. I'll be happy as can be with a small boat that I can tow around and launch. Row, paddle, sail or motor. Doesn't matter too much.

That said, motorcycles have taken much more of my free time lately, so maybe desire, or rather, lack of, will beat out old age and money.

[shrug]

I doubt I'll make it to 70 with this boat. My cruising is mostly solo and I will probably have gotten to the point where the physical effort will be more than I can handle. Wife isn't interested in cruising and I'm not interested in being dependent on others when I want to go play. Maybe a smaller boat from that point forward.

Ted

Ted, we are in mid-70s and did that 1600-mile run in Mar-Apr, but I get your point. This downsized boat will take me to me dirt nap.

I

Hollywood

I use to technical scuba dive. Dove with a rebreather down to 300' and would travel a mile or more into caves with an underwater propulsion vehicle. Decompression could run 4 to 6 hours. The critical situational awareness could be compared to driving a racecar at Indy, complacency kills quickly. Between health issues and mental acuity, my time past. Now I dive in 100' of water for 30 minutes, kill a few fish or grab a lobster. This isn't quitting, it's recognizing the signs and adjusting.....or die.

Imo, boating, while not as intense, is similar. There will be a point where you can't, but for some, their ego won't let them stop. In extreme technical diving, there's usually only one fatality. In boating, the risk of killing others on your boat or another is very real. Dialing back what you do or downsizing to a different boat isn't quitting. It's a sign that you're still capable of objective analysis.

There's an old joke that goes:

I want to die in my sleep like my uncle did, not screaming like the 2 passengers in the back seat of his car.

Ted

Last edited:
Next month.

Sorry to see you 'leave the fold', Mike.

A few years ago we ran across some cruising friends while enjoying the Dent Island Resort in BC. They have a 68 footer and had 2 other couples with them. These high school classmates were enjoying dinner and drinks while talking up the silliness of their pranks back in the 40s. Yes, they were all around 90.

Sorry to hear. Will you still be hanging out here?

Menzies, absofreakinlutely. We're selling the boat not because of the cancer/chemo stuff I'm going through but for a different reason. When we bought Beachcomber 10 years ago we did it with the dream of spending an entire summer in Puget Sound and Canadian waters. My MIL was 94 at the time and we figured she'd have another 3-5 years before she was gone.

So here we are, 10 years later and she's still doing well. She's in a long term care facility but still healthy. She's losing some of her cognitive ability but heck, she could go on for another 3-5 years. Who knows?

We wouldn't take that trip while she's still alive because sure as hell we'd be somewhere where there was no cell signal and something would happen to her and we wouldn't find out for a week or two. Tina and her mom are VERY close and she would never forgive herself for not being there.

One other thing we've always wanted to do is a motorhome trip across the country. There are so many beautiful areas of the US that we've never seen and we want to do that before I get too darned old to handle a motorhome. I needed to get my CDL to be able to drive the school busses last year. Most of those are in the 40' size so driving a 35' motorhome will be relatively easy.

So now seemed to be the perfect time to change from cruising on water to cruising on land. Tina asked me a few weeks ago if I could really sell Beachcomber. My answer was easy: I love the boat, but I'm not IN LOVE with the boat.

Never in my younger years as a working dude raising a family would I ever have guessed that I'd be lucky enough to be skippering a boat like Beachcomber. That in itself is a dream come true, but it's time to change horses for something different.

We've been looking around (just a tiny bit) for a Class A motorhome in the 33-35 foot range. I don't have a real preference for gas vs diesel, it will depend more on the coach itself. And, being the resident TF Cheapskate, it will depend on the price. But you guys already knew that, didn't you!

By way of a PS, we will still have our 13' Whaler to run around in when we want to hit the water.

Back
Top Bottom