What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serene

Vessel Name
Serene
Vessel Make
Blue Seas 36
New boat to me and still working through how everything works, but am perplexed as to what this curved stainless steel pipe is that bends up from the stanchion on both sides of the the rear railing.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1693.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 105
Is the end of the tube open? To hold fishing poles, nets or related items???
If it is open, I wonder where the water drains out!

I can't see the aft of your boat from the avatar - could it be to hold poles for sometype of soft-top/awning for the aft deck?

Grab handle? Or a bracket that was added for something that's not there anymore? Maybe a hook to hang dock lines on? Prior owners do some crazy things, and part of the fun of older boats is finding those things and wondering: "what the hell were they thinking?"

Greetings,
Mr. jg. I thought about hanging dock lines as well BUT a really bad place to hang them being so close to the prop(s). Not likely for fishing rods/gaffs/boat hooks as the end opening is much too small IMO.

Perhaps the mount for a table used to cut bait

Is it possible that an antenna or outrigger folds down into it? -- seems deep for that, but we're brainstorming here.

Jim

Looks like a black plastic cap on top in my pic.

Inly 1 inch or slightly more in diameter as it seems to match stanchion size.

There is a fishing rod holder mounted nearby and below it.

Might be a grab handle for jumping onto swim platform from floaters.

Could hold stern lines excess while at dock as another possibility or co-job.

Maybe to attach a sunshade??? There are ones that go into fishing rod holders, maybe something that slides down over the top.

Lots of good suggestions, thank you, but I don't think any of them are correct.

The end of the tube is closed and it is only a small diameter.

It is not a fishing rod/pole holder as there others on boat and the diameter is too small, with a closed end. It wouldn't be a good place for holding dock lines due to the closeness of the prop. There is already a grill on the other side of the boat and it is not for a table to cut bait as one of these is on the back rail already. There are also no antennas or outriggers in that area and it is not for shore power as the inlet socket is up near the front starboard side of the wheelhouse. it also isn't for a sunshade as the whole back deck is covered by a hard top.

I am still stumped, but appreciate the ideas!

Closeness to the prop is really BS.

If you walked on the swim platform, would they be convenient handholds?

Are there snap davits for a dinghy on the swimstep? Top attachment points?

Tried asking the PO? Response might help or be "There when we bought, never figured it out".

Since there's one on each side of the cockpit, maybe to hold a water ski? (this is a joke.....probably)

Kidding aside, my guess would be supports for a sun awning off your top deck (as Comodave suggests - I think 1-1/4" tubing slips over 1" tubing very nicely).

Peter

Last edited:
If there is an aft 30 or 50A dock cord outlet, my guess would be to suspend the electrical cord to keep it from rubbing on the teak.

Since the end is closed, it appears to me that a tube slid down over it. As there is no gusseting, I would assume that it wouldn't be under much bending load.

So my suggestion is that it's either a custom attachment for a small propane or charcoal grill, or a small fish cleaning table / station. If you find a piece of Starboard with a tube mounted to the bottom, you'll know where it goes.

Ted

Thanks again for the suggestions, but I still don't think any fit. I will have to call the PO.

Well please do let us know, the suspense is killing me !

There is a Facebook site called WTF What is this thing on my boat? Or something like that. Some pretty knowledgeable folk now and then

I dont think you need to go anywhere else for answers ! my bet is an awning pole to attach , or the powercord and waterhose

Do you have, or did you have a ladder from the swim platform to the top of the transom?

pete

or the powercord and waterhose

My guess is this. I have seen similar arrangements, and have rigged straps to stanchions to keep power cord off the brightwork.

A simple test: Where is your shorepower inlet?

My guess is this. I have seen similar arrangements, and have rigged straps to stanchions to keep power cord off the brightwork.

Me too. Could be just for keeping lines tidy.

It is very possible that the former owner used the lower portion of a Tuna Tower to replace his old stanchions.

Looks like someone hacked up a pair of davits. The photo is of a set I used to make.

If there is one on each side, the next owner may not have wanted them but didn't want to lose the support for the railing.

Attachments

• 20150120_104400.jpg
    20150120_104400.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 36
What is this

Guessing is fun! I'd gues a mount for a satellite dish

Clearly a hook to secure your LMPS while swimming.

Lanyard Mounted Pint Sling:

IMG_2896.JPG

Standup Paddleboard Rack?

Or remaining part of one?

Ask the former owner??

Back
Top Bottom