What is this ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benthic2

Guru
Can someone help me out by identifying this item ? The picture is from a Prairie Boat Works 36 for sale in California on Yachtworld. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-20 203332.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-20 203332.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 145
Outdoor hamper!

It looks like it has a garden hose attached to the bottom, but canvas seems like an odd choice to hold water, and its got holes in it..... Plus its below foot level if you are on the boat, so maybe its meant to be used from the swim platform ??? It just seems odd!

If it is a live bait tank (I have no idea), then I could see the holes making sense. It looks like they run all the way around a few inches below the top.

My thinking: If you filled it with water to the top (and there were no holes), then the bait could swim/flow out the top and be lost. With the holes, even if you have water coming in continuously, then the water level would stay at the level of the holes and the bait would not get out over the top edge.

(Hamper made me laugh though :D)

Notice "hinge" affairs on gunwale deck edge [also spelled gunnel - see below], close to railing stanchions. That makes sure it must fold upward toward boat. Those hinge affairs as well as the rest of the unit seem to show it is not a just diy unit; but rather, a purposefully manufactured item??

Therefore... potential bath unit for a baby??? - soooo... boat owner does not "throw baby out with the bath water"

Interestingly:

"Gunwale" is defined in the dictionary as the uppermost edge of a ship's side. That word originated in the late 15th century, when a "wale" was the name for a plank on a boat. ... The original spelling in Old English was "gonne walles", or literally "gun walls", because it was the wall of a ship used to mount a gun.

OK, my narcotics have worn off from yesterdays operation and I can give this more serious thought. [emoji856]

Note the boarding ladder just below. Maybe PO was an aquarium fish collector. The bag and support structure required more than casual design effort.

I cant compete with the great responses thus far.

great for fuel or water bladder

oh come on......this forum knows everything........spill it!!!
As said already. It is a bait well. Fold away unit for live bait, usually herring around here but other places may use other types of minnow. A pump will be connected to the other end of the hose and fresh ocean water will be pumped in, the fill level is maintained by the ring of drain holes.

Therefore... potential bath unit for a baby??? - soooo... boat owner does not "throw baby out with the bath water"
I had the exact same thought, Art! :blush:

I had the exact same thought, Art! :blush:

Our age opens the mind, squints the eyes, fcks with hearing - but - makes all our answers at least 75% correct! :eek: :lol:

As said already. It is a bait well. Fold away unit for live bait, usually herring around here but other places may use other types of minnow. A pump will be connected to the other end of the hose and fresh ocean water will be pumped in, the fill level is maintained by the ring of drain holes.

A great idea wonder why we don't see them anymore?

It looks like it could be anything you want it to be.

gunwale deck edge [also spelled gunnel - see below],

It's correctly pronounced "gunnel," but spelled that way only by nautical illiterates...whose numbers began to increase when an illiterate recreational boat industry renamed a vessel's saloon a "salon."

--Peggie

Back
Top Bottom