What is this ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gunwale deck edge [also spelled gunnel - see below],

It's correctly pronounced "gunnel," but spelled that way only by nautical illiterates...whose numbers began to increase when an illiterate recreational boat industry renamed a vessel's saloon a "salon."

--Peggie

21st Century lexicon: Salon for gals / Saloon for guys :dance:

I call it salon because that's what I heard it called at NY boat yards and yacht clubs in 1950's... middle of last century; the 20th!!

Besides - Wife likes salon. Happy Wife = Happy, Happy!!

That is a kill-bag, used mostly for offshore game fish like tuna, which bleed like crazy. You transfer them to the fish box once they're done.

I had that exact same bait bag on my boat.

How about washing clothes while underway?

It's a removable bait bag. The top holes are for overflow and the hose is a pick up of raw water. Somewheres there is a pump ( similar to a bilge pump to pick up the water.

Critter food basket

If it is a live bait tank (I have no idea), then I could see the holes making sense. It looks like they run all the way around a few inches below the top.

My thinking: If you filled it with water to the top (and there were no holes), then the bait could swim/flow out the top and be lost. With the holes, even if you have water coming in continuously, then the water level would stay at the level of the holes and the bait would not get out over the top edge.
-----------------
I think FROSTY is close. The hose indicates that it gets filled with water.
This is definitely too high a deck to comfortably fish from.
Canvas because it takes up far less space when stored.
I believe that it held some type of food for coaxing fish/sea creatures close to the boat for viewing.

On the west coast they have seals, dolphins, (and porpoises), sea lions, etc.
Here in Florida, that activity is discouraged because of the alligators.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980/prairie-boat-works-cc--36-3850985/
Well, talk about a busy transom! Nice boat though, I wish mine looked half as good.
But then, it's also twice the price, so you get what you pay for.
I'm sticking with my first thought, a food bag for critter watching.
Some others may use these for other purposes, and it may have been designed for those reasons, but the way that this vessel is equipped, I'd say she is only for pleasure.

A bunch of good?????? answers.
It is a bait bag usually supplied with seawater by a small bilge pump, maybe on a timer,
for keeping live herring alive.
Used to see these all over this area.

In the other pictures of tbd boat you can see rod holders so if the owner fished from the stern there is no cotpit so possible to put caught fish into and can later be washed out , but there is no fish cleaning station …..

gunwale deck edge [also spelled gunnel - see below],

It's correctly pronounced "gunnel," but spelled that way only by nautical illiterates...whose numbers began to increase when an illiterate recreational boat industry renamed a vessel's saloon a "salon."

--Peggie
I would put cockpit vs cotpit(wrong) in same catagory
The cockpit is named after the cock fighting pits in Uk
Also dinghy vs dingy( wrong)
The one that really gets me is the pronunciation of Quay
It’s like ‘Key’ Not like ‘quail’?

Can someone help me out by identifying this item ? The picture is from a Prairie Boat Works 36 for sale in California on Yachtworld. Thanks in advance.

Dude, it's a bait tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom