What is this???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"What is this???" is my favorite part of TF!
Where we can really show off our vast knowledge...
A treasure blower is another name for the twin Detroit Diesel 8V71N engines this fine ship has. You rev up the engines to full speed, step into the cockpit, open your wallet and watch your treasure blow away!
...or it could be something else...

Wow, nice boat, classic.
(Except the external teak. ��)

Doesn’t that affect the boats performance, all the thrust is being angled down

You only angle it down when you are treasure hunting to blow the sand off the area you are looking at to see if there is anything there.

Funny story: I heard about one marina that was silting up. After spending thousands of dollars on engineering studies and surveys, and getting an estimate for hundreds of thousands of dollars to even be able to submit a request for a dredging permit, which would likely be denied, somebody realized that it's perfectly legal to use these sort of "blowers" to move silt when searching for something. Needless to say, after a few modifications to the yard work boat, the silt was gone.

Funny story: I heard about one marina that was silting up. After spending thousands of dollars on engineering studies and surveys, and getting an estimate for hundreds of thousands of dollars to even be able to submit a request for a dredging permit, which would likely be denied, somebody realized that it's perfectly legal to use these sort of "blowers" to move silt when searching for something. Needless to say, after a few modifications to the yard work boat, the silt was gone.

I was in one heavily silted small port where they kept an old small tug with some louvres behind the prop and a big spud pole on the bow. They'd spud it down, turn the helm over and let it idle in a circle for a few hours while they dinghied ashore.

Back
Top Bottom